Quite a unique hosting plan needed.

Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I have quite a unique hosting issue and thought maybe instead of being a lurker, I could sign up and post my needs hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have searched, and searched existing threads and cannot find a solid answer.

I developed web software that I am going to be "leasing" out to other companies. It's an ecommerce store therefore they will need a dedicated IP to get SSL so they can process payments. I am currently using Bluehost, which I have not had any problems with...until now. They only allow one dedicated IP address per account, and it has to be associated with your main domain.

If I have 100 subscribers, I want them to process their own payments via Authorize.net (or whichever payment gateway they choose). It is not feasible to have 100 individual Bluehost accounts. There has to be another way. I could use PayPal, but I'd rather not go that route.

I am looking for a hosting plan that allows unlimited space (or reasonable), unlimited bandwidth since people will be downloading/uploading files a lot, and unlimited dedicated IP addresses. The monthly fee is not an issue, I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I move forward.

If you have any suggestions or recommendations...I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Well from the sounds of it you will require a reseller account, which will allow you to create multiple hosting accounts each with their own dedicated IP.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I have quite a unique hosting issue and thought maybe instead of being a lurker, I could sign up and post my needs hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have searched, and searched existing threads and cannot find a solid answer.

I developed web software that I am going to be "leasing" out to other companies. It's an ecommerce store therefore they will need a dedicated IP to get SSL so they can process payments. I am currently using Bluehost, which I have not had any problems with...until now. They only allow one dedicated IP address per account, and it has to be associated with your main domain.

If I have 100 subscribers, I want them to process their own payments via Authorize.net (or whichever payment gateway they choose). It is not feasible to have 100 individual Bluehost accounts. There has to be another way. I could use PayPal, but I'd rather not go that route.

I am looking for a hosting plan that allows unlimited space (or reasonable), unlimited bandwidth since people will be downloading/uploading files a lot, and unlimited dedicated IP addresses. The monthly fee is not an issue, I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I move forward.

If you have any suggestions or recommendations...I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.
    If you have the technical skills to manage it. Amazon Web Services might be a good choice for you. Though there might be issues with limits on assigned IP's.

For all practical purposes it is use all you want, as long as you pay the bill.

I just started an account and started playing around with there service, so I have no official position on the quality of there service at this time. i.e. read reviews

I just got off live chat with Codero.com. They have IP packages up to 64 and can add additional as required. Their rates are pretty reasonable for a dedicated server with the stats they list.

Then I Google'd them and read the reviews. They were less than pleasant and some were really personal, calling out the COO by name. On most review sites I read, they got between 1 1/2 - 2 stars, and those numbers seem padded due to the 5 star ratings from people leaving one line comments like, "The haters are all trolls...codero is great."

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'm about to start a live chat with Host Gator, I've read good reviews on them.

For dedicated servers: liquidweb, steadfast.net & gigenet are ones I would recommend.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

For background information, you might look at this Ars Technica article about virtual and cloud hosting. The author has experience with managing his own dedicated servers, and switched to using virtual and cloud services to avoid the periodic hardware issues he faced. He compares several companies, including Amazon's cloud service, Linode, Rackspace, DreamHost, etc.

You will be a reseller, so look for those options. You should be able to make good use of your resources, and won't be competing on things like disk space, bandwidth and added features like so many hosts. For that reason, I would avoid anyone who promises unlimited anything at a fixed price. You are selling not only your software product, but also a reliable, secure hosting environment. Your customers will depend on their sites for income, and negligence on your part could be the basis for law suits. You'll have to address those issues up front with your TOS.

With cPanel/WHM, you can resize accounts at will, so a customer who buys your software with hosting, but doesn't utilize a lot of disk space, can be resized to a smaller footprint.

My opinion is you might be better off with a cloud hosting solution, or a provider who could quickly provide another VPS or custom shared account when you need to expand. As long as you are selling a value added product, you can maintain your margins and select the segment of the market you appeal to; the cost of the web space should be a minor part of it and the difference between paying $25 for a flaky VPS and $75 per month for a fully managed VPS should not be a problem.

It would be a good idea to also ask about back up options. Some hosts offer it as part of their package, while others offer it as an add-on. My host has daily backup restore points of all accounts I host through R1Soft CDP, going back 28 days. 7 - 14 days is probably sufficient. (I also do a nightly backup to another server because I'm paranoid). If you are comparing costs, it makes sense to keep this one in mind. I think you will want to offer the backups as part of your service.

You should be able to buy IP addresses for any account as a reseller. Even my shared VPS has IP addresses available for purchase for any account, but you have to justify getting it (e-commerce is a valid reason, of course).

It sounds like an exciting project. Good luck!

yes this should be easily achievable with a good cpanel (or other suitable control panel) reseller account

you have your account and all your users have seperate accounts under your account (so you can manage them)

they can have seperate domains (with websites) dedicated ip addresses etc just like a normal account

Reseller accounts are usually slightly more expensive than your standard hosting account but you get alot of extra functionallity and the ability to have your own sub-users.

Do not go for unlimited disk space or bandwidth because it doesn't exist it's a marketing ploy and you will soon have your websites suspended for too much resource usage (which would be no good for you or your customers)

go for a responsible host that provides reasonable amounts of disk space and bandwidth

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware