Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    204

    Exclamation Beware of Curvehost.com - too cheap for UK VPS

    Hello,

    This is just a warning message to anyone who has seen the insanely cheap offer from curvehost.com on the VPS hosting deals page.

    Seriously, for example:

    Bronze
    256MB Guaranteed Ram
    512MB Burstable Ram
    50GB Disk Space
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1 ip
    $2.99/month

    I asked some simple questions such as:

    Are these VPS's oversold and why are you offering these for so cheap for UK resouces - how is this possible???

    I asked these questions twice as each time I asked them, curvehost removed my posts.

    Sometimes customers want to ask critical questions and as a business you need to be able to answer these questions without fobbing off 'possible' customers.
    CMC Design

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,799
    I feel your question was a bit rhetorical and accusatory. With that said, there's nothing wrong with overselling as long as it's managed properly. BuyVM has a 256 MB VPS for $3.50 and they're doing very well. I'm not saying BuyVM oversells or not, just saying it's possible at that price point AND provide great service.

    I don't think they were trying to escape answering these questions. It's just to the common consumer, the term "oversell" is an immediate turn-off because they do not fully understand the concept. Perhaps try emailing their sales department if you're so hard-pressed for the truth.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    197
    I agree with the person above me,

    I'm not saying this company is the most legit, or even the best company to go to. But there are plenty of company's offering cheaper services, and around the same prices, That's also like company's that offer free first month dedicated servers, how do they do that? Simple, they offer the services to gain in the later run.

    They could offer this package with an low stock number, and offer it only to a amount on there services along with depending on there prices and hardware using they can make money off offering it.

    If they are located in the UK, that shouldn't be an throw off point for high prices as I'm with an provider in the UK and I have an very powerful VS with them for only 5.00$ a month, and its 512:1024, 50GB Disk(Raid-10), and 350GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth/Transfer. 2 IPv4s, 10 IPv6s, SolusVM/OpenVZ, and it runs great, and is very low priced, does that mean they are bad to? because they offer it at a low price.


    Overselling has scared alot of people away, and when you see oversell or even hear the word, you think the company is using lack of resources and running to much services and overloading the things, I don't believe this.

    Overselling is not always that, or low performance, or the reason of low prices, you can look at BuyVM, they offer an VS thats 1.50$/month, but they sell it for 15.00$/year, How would you be ale to do that? As it would not even be able to pay, or cover the server pricing for the monthly rate even with putting 30 VS's on it, would you consider that overselling? Well I don't, as long as they know what they are doing, and have the proper equipment, and experience and manage it correctly.

    I'm just stating this about the terms you used, I do not know much about that company, but try searching about it, and not only using webhostingtalk try google, and other community's or review places or even search LowEndBox as he might have an review of it up, but as he seems to really pull smaller companies, or newer companies down in the start of the world, but could be helpful if your interested in them.


    Note: Just because located in UK don't mean higher prices, maybe they are based in UK and have there own data center, or do colocation, and have there own equipment like the UK provider I use for my UK required VS

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    BuyVM has a 256 MB VPS for $3.50 and they're doing very well. I'm not saying BuyVM oversells or not, just saying it's possible at that price point AND provide great service.
    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by CK-Shane View Post
    ]you can look at BuyVM, they offer an VS thats 1.50$/month, but they sell it for 15.00$/year, How would you be ale to do that? ]
    Magical ponies?



    There's a lot of trade secrets that make these plans quite profitable for us Rest assured everything we sell turns us a handsome profit!

    Thanks,

    Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    197

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Thanks



    Magical ponies?



    There's a lot of trade secrets that make these plans quite profitable for us Rest assured everything we sell turns us a handsome profit!

    Thanks,

    Francisco

    My apologizes Franciso if you thought I was saying something negative, I was simply saying it's possible, showing the fact that you do it.

    I also have an little idea how, and it's an very good one, and I also do like and give you high heads, and hopes for your company, Glad to see you here for this new year
    Hope it's an great one for you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by active8 View Post
    Hello,

    This is just a warning message to anyone who has seen the insanely cheap offer from curvehost.com on the VPS hosting deals page.

    Seriously, for example:

    Bronze
    256MB Guaranteed Ram
    512MB Burstable Ram
    50GB Disk Space
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1 ip
    $2.99/month

    I asked some simple questions such as:

    Are these VPS's oversold and why are you offering these for so cheap for UK resouces - how is this possible???

    I asked these questions twice as each time I asked them, curvehost removed my posts.

    Sometimes customers want to ask critical questions and as a business you need to be able to answer these questions without fobbing off 'possible' customers.
    Our pricing structure simply reflects our business model. When a store has a sale, do you warn all of your friends because the prices are "too" cheap?

    I asked for your posts to be removed because for some reason you find it necessary to flame my advertising threads. Which breaks forum rules.

    We are always happy to answer any questions that people may have.
    Curvehost has many satisfied customers, and I'm very glad that your not one of them.
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    280
    I would have to agree that overselling is not the issue -- but rather how it is managed.

    Too bad curvehost doesn't have a US location. I would be inclined to give them a try.
    ~*Kellie*~
    Freelance Web Designer
    Kozbe Designs (coming soon)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by kjetterman View Post
    I would have to agree that overselling is not the issue -- but rather how it is managed.

    Too bad curvehost doesn't have a US location. I would be inclined to give them a try.
    We will be offering US vms in the coming week, I'll post a thread in the advertising section when they are available.

    Thanks
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    280

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by curvehost View Post
    We will be offering US vms in the coming week, I'll post a thread in the advertising section when they are available.

    Thanks
    Very cool! Thank you! I will be on watch for it.
    ~*Kellie*~
    Freelance Web Designer
    Kozbe Designs (coming soon)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,077
    I had a look at your site Curvehost and something which sticks out like a sore thumb is you have no contact details anywhere on your website, other than a link to your ticketing system.

    Under UK distance selling regulations you need to provide an address on your website + clear contact details.

    It would drive me mad as a customer if I can't find something as a simple as a sales / support email address, or a "Contact us" section.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    I had a look at your site Curvehost and something which sticks out like a sore thumb is you have no contact details anywhere on your website, other than a link to your ticketing system.

    Under UK distance selling regulations you need to provide an address on your website + clear contact details.

    It would drive me mad as a customer if I can't find something as a simple as a sales / support email address, or a "Contact us" section.
    Thanks for your observation, I agree that this information needs to be displayed and will update the site shortly.

    Cheers
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    469
    That only part that I didn't understand was what posts have been deleted?
    You mean the billing tickets?

    And regarding the price it's nothing unusual - http://www.quickweb.co.nz/lowendbox also in uk for 2.99 per 256mb ram

    The "glory" of openvz is that is can be oversold as much as you wish and if you take a look at dedicated server pricing of most providers you will understand that openvz gets oversold around 3x the server ram.

    And if host says "we don't oversell openvz" they lie in your face

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurikami View Post
    That only part that I didn't understand was what posts have been deleted?
    Active8 flamed my advertising threads, claiming that the pricing was too low. The moderators then removed these posts.
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Not So Deep South
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurikami View Post
    And if host says "we don't oversell openvz" they lie in your face
    Oversell is quite misused when people really are looking for a host that is not overloaded.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    1,170
    Everyone has a wrong idea about "Overselling" i wouldn't even call it "overselling" i would call it using un-used resources, there are quite a few posts about "overselling" on this forum already.

    On another note, it isn't bad to "oversell" instead of "wasting" resources that clients don't use fully you are just allocating them to other clients.

    In my opinion, has long has the dedicated server performance remains the same there should be NO PROBLEM with overselling, or how you might want to call it.

    PS: You are able to oversell in XEN, and the resources are never fully dedicated to you so stop blaming it on OpenVZ christ sake.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    204
    OK, I was shamefully wrong. I apologise for my critical remarks and wish curvehost.com a very successful and prosperous future in their web hosting business.
    CMC Design

  17. #17
    Hardware and Software gets better all the time so that you can have better VPS Servers.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Leandro, California
    Posts
    245
    Let me tell you, their node has only 2GB ram.

    Believe me or not, your choice.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    There's a lot of trade secrets that make these plans quite profitable for us
    Hey, return this stolen equipment back!

    /joke

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Hey, return this stolen equipment back!

    /joke
    Our nigerian prince finally paid out!!

    Fran
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

  21. #21
    Well, i put it to the test I purchased the:
    VPS Package: Titanium ( which is suppose to come with the following )
    1024 ram
    200Gb disk space
    2000GB bandwidth

    BUT after payed and checked my account I actually got:
    256 MB ram
    50 GB Disk
    1000 GB bandwidth

    False advertising?

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny30238 View Post
    Well, i put it to the test I purchased the:
    VPS Package: Titanium ( which is suppose to come with the following )
    1024 ram
    200Gb disk space
    2000GB bandwidth

    BUT after payed and checked my account I actually got:
    256 MB ram
    50 GB Disk
    1000 GB bandwidth

    False advertising?
    Did you contact them and ask why this is?
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website

  23. #23
    Not yet, I am going to submit a ticket in a few minutes. Just thought i would post this, looks very suspicious to me.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    934
    The provision process may not be perfect, and it's nothing to be suspicious about. Raise a ticket with them is probably your best bet. I wouldn't go as far as calling it "false advertising" unless they refuse to fix it. Good lucks.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by curvehost View Post
    Our pricing structure simply reflects our business model. When a store has a sale, do you warn all of your friends because the prices are "too" cheap?
    I do agree with curvehost on this one. Maybe they don't earn money on the lowest package and they just use it to get customers in.

    What i do find weird is that almost 20 days after the remark about the missing contact details they are still not on the site ? I would never join a host that hides his contact details, there must be a reason. Why would a hoster that has nothing to hide, not show his contact details ?
    If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

  26. #26
    how come they have removed their post and from where you've asked them?

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Duport View Post
    Did you contact them and ask why this is?
    This is the response i get:

    Hi,

    We are currently looking into this, please standby. Any time that is lose due to the issue will be reflected in your billing date.

    Regards,

    Curvehost Support - www.curvehost.com
    Also, the vps is yet to be online.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by target View Post
    I do agree with curvehost on this one. Maybe they don't earn money on the lowest package and they just use it to get customers in.

    What i do find weird is that almost 20 days after the remark about the missing contact details they are still not on the site ? I would never join a host that hides his contact details, there must be a reason. Why would a hoster that has nothing to hide, not show his contact details ?
    I'm the process of registering the company, when I have the details in the near future they will be on our site.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johny30238 View Post
    This is the response i get:



    Also, the vps is yet to be online.
    I apologise for any inconvenience this problem may have caused. We have been having difficulties with an ip block in which your ip is assigned.
    We have re-allocated your vps with a new ip, details have been emailed you. We have also checked that your vm has the correct resources. As a gesture of goodwill, I have put a credit on your account for one month's service.
    Please leave a ticket at our helpdesk if you have any further issues.
    Last edited by curvehost; 03-09-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by curvehost View Post
    I'm the process of registering the company, when I have the details in the near future they will be on our site.


    I guess u must have an address so far :p
    If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    204
    There are still no contact details on the site..
    CMC Design

Similar Threads

  1. Curvehost - UK solusvm vps from $2.99/month
    By curvehost in forum VPS Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM
  2. Curvehost - UK solusvm vps from $2.99/month
    By curvehost in forum VPS Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM
  3. Curvehost - Premium Hosting from $1/month!
    By curvehost in forum Shared Hosting Offers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 08:01 PM
  4. Rackunlimited (Adam Bednar) - beware of cheap VPSs
    By czblack in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
  5. BEWARE Names4ever - cheap but HORRIBLE!
    By filmdave in forum Domain Names
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •