Exclamation Beware of Curvehost.com - too cheap for UK VPS

Hello,

This is just a warning message to anyone who has seen the insanely cheap offer from curvehost.com on the VPS hosting deals page.

Seriously, for example:

Bronze
    256MB Guaranteed Ram
    512MB Burstable Ram
    50GB Disk Space
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1 ip
    $2.99/month

I asked some simple questions such as:

Are these VPS's oversold and why are you offering these for so cheap for UK resouces - how is this possible???

I asked these questions twice as each time I asked them, curvehost removed my posts.

Sometimes customers want to ask critical questions and as a business you need to be able to answer these questions without fobbing off 'possible' customers.
    CMC Design

I feel your question was a bit rhetorical and accusatory. With that said, there's nothing wrong with overselling as long as it's managed properly. BuyVM has a 256 MB VPS for $3.50 and they're doing very well. I'm not saying BuyVM oversells or not, just saying it's possible at that price point AND provide great service.

I don't think they were trying to escape answering these questions. It's just to the common consumer, the term "oversell" is an immediate turn-off because they do not fully understand the concept. Perhaps try emailing their sales department if you're so hard-pressed for the truth.

I agree with the person above me,

I'm not saying this company is the most legit, or even the best company to go to. But there are plenty of company's offering cheaper services, and around the same prices, That's also like company's that offer free first month dedicated servers, how do they do that? Simple, they offer the services to gain in the later run.

They could offer this package with an low stock number, and offer it only to a amount on there services along with depending on there prices and hardware using they can make money off offering it.

If they are located in the UK, that shouldn't be an throw off point for high prices as I'm with an provider in the UK and I have an very powerful VS with them for only 5.00$ a month, and its 512:1024, 50GB Disk(Raid-10), and 350GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth/Transfer. 2 IPv4s, 10 IPv6s, SolusVM/OpenVZ, and it runs great, and is very low priced, does that mean they are bad to? because they offer it at a low price.

Overselling has scared alot of people away, and when you see oversell or even hear the word, you think the company is using lack of resources and running to much services and overloading the things, I don't believe this.

Overselling is not always that, or low performance, or the reason of low prices, you can look at BuyVM, they offer an VS thats 1.50$/month, but they sell it for 15.00$/year, How would you be ale to do that? As it would not even be able to pay, or cover the server pricing for the monthly rate even with putting 30 VS's on it, would you consider that overselling? Well I don't, as long as they know what they are doing, and have the proper equipment, and experience and manage it correctly.

I'm just stating this about the terms you used, I do not know much about that company, but try searching about it, and not only using webhostingtalk try google, and other community's or review places or even search LowEndBox as he might have an review of it up, but as he seems to really pull smaller companies, or newer companies down in the start of the world, but could be helpful if your interested in them.

Note: Just because located in UK don't mean higher prices, maybe they are based in UK and have there own data center, or do colocation, and have there own equipment like the UK provider I use for my UK required VS

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    BuyVM has a 256 MB VPS for $3.50 and they're doing very well. I'm not saying BuyVM oversells or not, just saying it's possible at that price point AND provide great service.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CK-Shane View Post
    ]you can look at BuyVM, they offer an VS thats 1.50$/month, but they sell it for 15.00$/year, How would you be ale to do that? ]
    Magical ponies?

There's a lot of trade secrets that make these plans quite profitable for us Rest assured everything we sell turns us a handsome profit!

Thanks,

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Thanks

Magical ponies?

There's a lot of trade secrets that make these plans quite profitable for us Rest assured everything we sell turns us a handsome profit!

Thanks,

Francisco

My apologizes Franciso if you thought I was saying something negative, I was simply saying it's possible, showing the fact that you do it.

I also have an little idea how, and it's an very good one, and I also do like and give you high heads, and hopes for your company, Glad to see you here for this new year
    Hope it's an great one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by active8 View Post
    Hello,

This is just a warning message to anyone who has seen the insanely cheap offer from curvehost.com on the VPS hosting deals page.

Seriously, for example:

Bronze
    256MB Guaranteed Ram
    512MB Burstable Ram
    50GB Disk Space
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1 ip
    $2.99/month

I asked some simple questions such as:

Are these VPS's oversold and why are you offering these for so cheap for UK resouces - how is this possible???

I asked these questions twice as each time I asked them, curvehost removed my posts.

Sometimes customers want to ask critical questions and as a business you need to be able to answer these questions without fobbing off 'possible' customers.
    Our pricing structure simply reflects our business model. When a store has a sale, do you warn all of your friends because the prices are "too" cheap?

I asked for your posts to be removed because for some reason you find it necessary to flame my advertising threads. Which breaks forum rules.

We are always happy to answer any questions that people may have.
    Curvehost has many satisfied customers, and I'm very glad that your not one of them.
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

I would have to agree that overselling is not the issue -- but rather how it is managed.

Too bad curvehost doesn't have a US location. I would be inclined to give them a try.
    ~*Kellie*~
    Freelance Web Designer
    Kozbe Designs (coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by kjetterman View Post
    I would have to agree that overselling is not the issue -- but rather how it is managed.

Too bad curvehost doesn't have a US location. I would be inclined to give them a try.
    We will be offering US vms in the coming week, I'll post a thread in the advertising section when they are available.

Thanks
    Curvehost

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by curvehost View Post
    We will be offering US vms in the coming week, I'll post a thread in the advertising section when they are available.

Thanks
    Very cool! Thank you! I will be on watch for it.
    ~*Kellie*~
    Freelance Web Designer
    Kozbe Designs (coming soon)

I had a look at your site Curvehost and something which sticks out like a sore thumb is you have no contact details anywhere on your website, other than a link to your ticketing system.

Under UK distance selling regulations you need to provide an address on your website + clear contact details.

It would drive me mad as a customer if I can't find something as a simple as a sales / support email address, or a "Contact us" section.

Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    I had a look at your site Curvehost and something which sticks out like a sore thumb is you have no contact details anywhere on your website, other than a link to your ticketing system.

Under UK distance selling regulations you need to provide an address on your website + clear contact details.

It would drive me mad as a customer if I can't find something as a simple as a sales / support email address, or a "Contact us" section.
    Thanks for your observation, I agree that this information needs to be displayed and will update the site shortly.

Cheers
    Curvehost

That only part that I didn't understand was what posts have been deleted?
    You mean the billing tickets?

And regarding the price it's nothing unusual - http://www.quickweb.co.nz/lowendbox also in uk for 2.99 per 256mb ram

The "glory" of openvz is that is can be oversold as much as you wish and if you take a look at dedicated server pricing of most providers you will understand that openvz gets oversold around 3x the server ram.

And if host says "we don't oversell openvz" they lie in your face

Quote Originally Posted by Kurikami View Post
    That only part that I didn't understand was what posts have been deleted?
    Active8 flamed my advertising threads, claiming that the pricing was too low. The moderators then removed these posts.
    Curvehost

Quote Originally Posted by Kurikami View Post
    And if host says "we don't oversell openvz" they lie in your face
    Oversell is quite misused when people really are looking for a host that is not overloaded.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Everyone has a wrong idea about "Overselling" i wouldn't even call it "overselling" i would call it using un-used resources, there are quite a few posts about "overselling" on this forum already.

On another note, it isn't bad to "oversell" instead of "wasting" resources that clients don't use fully you are just allocating them to other clients.

In my opinion, has long has the dedicated server performance remains the same there should be NO PROBLEM with overselling, or how you might want to call it.

PS: You are able to oversell in XEN, and the resources are never fully dedicated to you so stop blaming it on OpenVZ christ sake.

OK, I was shamefully wrong. I apologise for my critical remarks and wish curvehost.com a very successful and prosperous future in their web hosting business.
    CMC Design

Hardware and Software gets better all the time so that you can have better VPS Servers.

Let me tell you, their node has only 2GB ram.

Believe me or not, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    There's a lot of trade secrets that make these plans quite profitable for us
    Hey, return this stolen equipment back!

/joke

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Hey, return this stolen equipment back!

/joke
    Our nigerian prince finally paid out!!

Fran
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Well, i put it to the test I purchased the:
    VPS Package: Titanium ( which is suppose to come with the following )
    1024 ram
    200Gb disk space
    2000GB bandwidth

BUT after payed and checked my account I actually got:
    256 MB ram
    50 GB Disk
    1000 GB bandwidth

False advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by Johny30238 View Post
    Well, i put it to the test I purchased the:
    VPS Package: Titanium ( which is suppose to come with the following )
    1024 ram
    200Gb disk space
    2000GB bandwidth

BUT after payed and checked my account I actually got:
    256 MB ram
    50 GB Disk
    1000 GB bandwidth

False advertising?
    Did you contact them and ask why this is?
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website

Not yet, I am going to submit a ticket in a few minutes. Just thought i would post this, looks very suspicious to me.

The provision process may not be perfect, and it's nothing to be suspicious about. Raise a ticket with them is probably your best bet. I wouldn't go as far as calling it "false advertising" unless they refuse to fix it. Good lucks.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Our pricing structure simply reflects our business model. When a store has a sale, do you warn all of your friends because the prices are "too" cheap?
    I do agree with curvehost on this one. Maybe they don't earn money on the lowest package and they just use it to get customers in.

What i do find weird is that almost 20 days after the remark about the missing contact details they are still not on the site ? I would never join a host that hides his contact details, there must be a reason. Why would a hoster that has nothing to hide, not show his contact details ?
    If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

how come they have removed their post and from where you've asked them?

Quote Originally Posted by Duport View Post
    Did you contact them and ask why this is?
    This is the response i get:

Hi,

We are currently looking into this, please standby. Any time that is lose due to the issue will be reflected in your billing date.

Regards,

Curvehost Support - www.curvehost.com
    Also, the vps is yet to be online.

Quote Originally Posted by target View Post
    I do agree with curvehost on this one. Maybe they don't earn money on the lowest package and they just use it to get customers in.

What i do find weird is that almost 20 days after the remark about the missing contact details they are still not on the site ? I would never join a host that hides his contact details, there must be a reason. Why would a hoster that has nothing to hide, not show his contact details ?
    I'm the process of registering the company, when I have the details in the near future they will be on our site.

Quote Originally Posted by Johny30238 View Post
    This is the response i get:

Also, the vps is yet to be online.
    I apologise for any inconvenience this problem may have caused. We have been having difficulties with an ip block in which your ip is assigned.
    We have re-allocated your vps with a new ip, details have been emailed you. We have also checked that your vm has the correct resources. As a gesture of goodwill, I have put a credit on your account for one month's service.
    Please leave a ticket at our helpdesk if you have any further issues.
    Last edited by curvehost; 03-09-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Curvehost

I'm the process of registering the company, when I have the details in the near future they will be on our site.

I guess u must have an address so far :p
    If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

There are still no contact details on the site..
    CMC Design