"Unlimited Speed"

Unfortunately, I don't have a screen shot of this, but I figured this was worth mentioning anyway.

On one of the many, many, file hosting sites out there I saw an advertisement for "Unlimited Speed" if you sign up for their premium package. I haven't seen this cross over into the cPanel/VPS/etc markets yet, but I can only assume it will soon.

I guess I could also be looking at this the wrong way. If its true, and they have discovered a way for "unlimited speed", it will be one of the greatest inventions of all time.
    Brook Hollow Brands

You can travel on time with that!!
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I doubt this would cross over into the server market. Businesses with servers have strict requirements, those file sharing sites are mostly for personal use.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Quote Originally Posted by GregVernon View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have a screen shot of this, but I figured this was worth mentioning anyway.

On one of the many, many, file hosting sites out there I saw an advertisement for "Unlimited Speed" if you sign up for their premium package. I haven't seen this cross over into the cPanel/VPS/etc markets yet, but I can only assume it will soon.

I guess I could also be looking at this the wrong way. If its true, and they have discovered a way for "unlimited speed", it will be one of the greatest inventions of all time.
    Most providers I've worked with don't actually limit the bandwidth (i.e. speed) but limit the transfer (i.e. the amount of data you can move). Those that do limit the bandwidth (i.e. speed) are dedicated providers who offer either a 10, 100, or 1000 MBPS port on the server but many of them still limit your total transfer as well.

When you go with colo or you begin working with a transit provider directly you're generally not going to be capped on how much data you can transfer but how much you can move at any given time (i.e. bandwidth or speed) but most cases there is more capacity on the line than you're paying for so if you go over it won't just stop working but you will pay overages.

The point is - that it's a marketing gimmick and that most providers do offer essentially "unlimited speed" in the sense that most connecting to the server would not be able to max out the connection or hit the limit on the server itself.

This may change as consumer connections increase in speed to 100 MBPS average or higher but I don't see that sweeping across the country as fast as it should.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

The fastest connections for shared hosting/commercial hosting are OC48 connections which are about 2.2GB/s.

File sharing sites limit the DL speed for free visitors. Paying for membership removes these limits, therefore, "unlimited"

Just a poor choice of words, I don't think they meant to imply "unlimited speed"
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

Quote Originally Posted by bayouhost_tonya View Post
    File sharing sites limit the DL speed for free visitors. Paying for membership removes these limits, therefore, "unlimited"

Just a poor choice of words, I don't think they meant to imply "unlimited speed"
    Right, I knew that. It was more of an amusing thing I saw, rather than anything else...
    Brook Hollow Brands

Quote Originally Posted by thewantedhost View Post
    The fastest connections for shared hosting/commercial hosting are OC48 connections which are about 2.2GB/s.
    What? No...

Quote Originally Posted by GregVernon View Post

If so how about NIC speed ( 100 mbit , 1000 Mbit ) ?
    24x7 PRO-ACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Now Available The first Support Brand for Startup Hosting Companies

Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Skype us : SyslintSkype | Call us : (+91)6007799

Quote Originally Posted by thewantedhost View Post
    Not at all. Much faster connections are available. And it's going to keep getting faster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical..._.2F_10G_SONET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet

Not at all. Much faster connections are available. And it's going to keep getting faster.
    It is true that they are available, but I doubt such costly links are available for shared hosting customers as he mentioned.
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.

If your paying for your own connection then eat your heart out with the speed. Your paying. But for $3.95 a month shared hosting, you aint getting much faster.

Unlimited speed is nothing else but bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by Sushantg View Post
    Unlimited speed is nothing else but bandwidth
    We are at web hosting industry, mistakenly use the term "Bandwidth" as the amount of data used, but in real meaning, you are right about the relation of port speed and the bandwidth.
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.