Heart Internet to cPanel - Transfer E-Mails

Hi,

Tomorrow I am hoping to transfer a couple of websites from a Heart Internet reseller account (I own the reseller account) over to a cPanel 11 VPS.

What is the easiest way to transfer e-mails, one idea I have is with Mac Mail, downloading e-mails from each mail box into a local folder, and then connecting the mail box on the new server, and then transferring them back. Will this work ok? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Also is there an easy way to import .sql files to cPanel in order to create new databases? Or do I need to create the database first and then import it via phpMyAdmin?

I haven't really been doing work in the hosting industry for a few months, been focusing on other work so I seem to have lost a bit of experience.

Thank you, any help is appreciated in advance.

cpanel to cpanel migration is there. Or you can download the domains cpanel backups and restore from your vps. Database, mails and files will all come through

Hi,

Heart Internet uses their own eXtend panel, so I think the e-mails are stored differently. If it was cPanel to cPanel transfer it would be easier, although they do it differently I think.

Thank you.

I completed this during December 2010 for just over 250 accounts
    Initially I advised all customers to contact me if they wanted the contents of their email accounts and MySQL databases transfered (I'll come back to the issue with MySQL later)
    Also, it is recommended to disable any content that uses a MySQL database, so again the customer should contact you to arrange this

The files are easy enough to copy

The next are the email accounts, forwarders, and auto-responders
    Then login to the email accounts and see if there are any stored email
    If not, then commence the Domain Name nameserver update

Download the MySQL databases, create a new MySQL database in cpanel, then upload
    Now you will have to edit the configuration files on that account

Back to HI, and now disable the public_html folder
    Once the nameservers have updated the website will be live again

There is an issue in the HI Resellers Control Panel as it only shows databases over 2MB
    Therefore check every account to check the size, as not all will show due to the above discrepancy

Now comes the transfer of the emails
    Forward them individually to your own [email protected] account, note you MUST perform this before the nameservers propogate
    Once the nameservers have propogated, forward them back to the appropriate email account
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

Sounds pretty straight forward then for the MySQL databases and files, about the e-mail though, how would I keep them intact, like transferring the sent mail, drafts, etc? Because I know that some of my clients would want everything how it was in Heart Internet?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Just put the old and new account in your desktop email client at the same time and copy the emails over.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Hi,

Thank you for your advice, I will try that and see how it goes. Thank you to everybody who has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wagner View Post
    Because I know that some of my clients would want everything how it was in Heart Internet?
    Have you compared the interfaces?
    Your customers are clearly going to notice the difference
    You could be up-front with them and advise you are moving providers (for what ever reason), which is what I did (moving from Node 4 / Heart Internet)

I therefore suggest you contact ALL in advance and let them handle the email transfer, if they are not confident in doing this then you can handle it for them
    Give them a window for completion and deadline

Equally, some customers might want to take this opportunity to simply delete all the trash and unwanted emails they do not want to transfer

Finally, be aware some customers can be a bit magoo
    Even with transferring over the settings so that they are almost the same, not all will be
    The biggest change will be logging in on a username rather than an email, and even after two months I have six customers that can't get this right
    They keep using their email addresses and login to WHMCS instead of cpanel
    They then try to login to cpanel, with that same email address...
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management