How to start web hosting business?

I want to start my own domain registration & web hosting company. First of all tell me which options available to me. (maintaining own servers or acquiring servers on rent etc)..

Sorry to hijack your thread, but since we're both on the subject of learning something completely new...

I'm looking at starting my own auto detailing business. To be truthful and completely blunt, I don't know anything about it. I'm not even sure what the job entails but I know that I want to do it. I can barely change my oil and actually had a girlfriend help me the last time. Words cannot express how much of a fool I felt! Non the less, I'm determined to start this auto detailing business because clearly there's a lot of money in it and how hard can it be?

I know what you're thinking, why on earth would I start an auto detailing business with absolutely no clue on what I'm supposed to do? Agreed, but why is starting a web hosting business or any other online business different?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I can barely change my oil and actually had a girlfriend help me the last time.

OP, hope you didn't take offense to Patrick's post. He does make a good point. How much research have you put into this already?

We always recommend http://www.resellerguide.com website to all our clients seeking tips and tutorials to start a small web hosting company. Hope that helps!
    Jolly Works Hosting • Your Affordable Web Hosting since 2009.
    Shared | Reseller| Wordpress | VPS | Domains
    █ NVMe SSD, AMD Ryzen, 99.9% Uptime, Proven Filipino Customer Service, USA & Singapore

I can barely change my oil and actually had a girlfriend help me the last time.
    You can change your oil? No way! I opened a garage and still haven't learned how do to that!

In all seriousness...after almost 31 years I still haven't learned how to change the damn oil

Sorry to hijack your thread, but since we're both on the subject of learning something completely new...

I'm looking at starting my own auto detailing business. To be truthful and completely blunt, I don't know anything about it. I'm not even sure what the job entails but I know that I want to do it. I can barely change my oil and actually had a girlfriend help me the last time. Words cannot express how much of a fool I felt! Non the less, I'm determined to start this auto detailing business because clearly there's a lot of money in it and how hard can it be?

I know what you're thinking, why on earth would I start an auto detailing business with absolutely no clue on what I'm supposed to do? Agreed, but why is starting a web hosting business or any other online business different?
    I absolutely agree with Patrick here. Web hosting is no different than any other industry, in terms of starting a business and being successful at it. You need a certain level of knowledge going into this.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

I just agree with everyone.

I mean sure, if it's just an joke for you, jump right in but you will not have any success or any long-lasting clients to earn any profit on.

I suggest doing about an good at least 6 months research, studying, and maintain servers, and checking into every little aspect of the software, servers, and things you want to provide when you do open up.

Try even finding an small, maybe even part-time job with a company that offers the services you would like to to get to learn the roles of things, and how it can have it's ups and downs, its a lot of work bringing an new company up, and you need the proper knowledge, funds, and equipment to keep it going otherwise you will be like the hated hosts here, The here by day, and gone by night!

Not being harsh, but it's an very hard market, and a harsh market.

Working with a company, and learning things through that way could be very helpful to you, it's one of the biggest ways I learned.

I actually enjoyed it and loved working with an dedicated team, due to they helped me out alot.

Over viewing the community here you can learn alot of the up's and down's of running an company without no knowledge, and having alot of knowledge even for the smartest people it can be hard, It's why it takes work.

Just like driving an stick shift car, takes work to become an pro, you can't jump in at the age of 16 and be racing an manual race car down an quarter mile drag strip

Regards,
    and best the luck

I suggest that you get a reseller account with cPanel/WHM and learn from that and work your way up to a VPS or a Dedicated Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaid View Post
    I want to start my own domain registration & web hosting company. First of all tell me which options available to me. (maintaining own servers or acquiring servers on rent etc)..
    There are people who know(very much) how it works and still struggle to profit.
    Just to give you an idea.

Do not take care of servers yourself, don't worry about that, rent them managed, let the experts take care of having all stuff working.
    You'll need...
    - To define your niche(Local or worldwide or etc.)
    - You can start with managed VPS
    - A good website
    - Billing and support software
    - And most important... a STRATEGY(Marketing/Business Strategy)

I would recommend to start business by renting server first, not by buying your own one. To manage with your business you should have knowledge and ideas about: website design and functionality, your business plan which part will consist of services offered, pricing, decent support for clients, you will have to find provider of domains and you will need to resell domains from him to your customers same as you will resell disk space, bandwidth and all features provided by your host. Well if you know how to manage your own dedicated server you can be master of your own but I assume you are new so being reseller by renting server first will be best choice. When you have good website, DNS and hosting services offers, pricings then you will have to get a billing tool to manage payments and control panel to manage accounts, packages, server etc. Next you should get SSL Certificate to provide security for your customers while purchasing your products. One of the most important step is advertising, for that purpose use for example PPC advertising like Adwords, advertise yourself at forums, blogs, portals etc.

Those are just a tips, order of tasks is not stiff. And those are not all of the things you will have to do to start your own business but I hope you will find something useful here. Best wishes
    ModulesGarden
    High-End WHMCS Modules
    Software Development Outsourcing
    Custom WHMCS Modules Development

Nice post. Too many people forget that starting a business without any knowledge of that business is usually a recipe for failure.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Starting a business with out much knowledge is not a good idea, unless you hire relative persons in required fields.

Start Off with reseller account

Your answer is in the whole webhostingtalk.com's thread. some are exceptionally well if you research !
    read the threads under
    "running a web hosting business" category.