Where can I complain/report about a domain reseller?

Hi,

Initially, I used to register my domains through a local domain reseller and some of my domains are struck there even now. This reseller does not offer any interface for domain buyers to manage our domains and he even tries for charge us for changes to name servers which is probably illegal. Also they make it very difficult to transfer out domains by not helping the domain buyers with EPP code.

I wanted to complain or report this domain reseller to respective authorities who can take some kind of action on them.

What are the best options here for me?
    Thanks much in advance

Maybe contact ICANN? I'm not sure about the laws in this area but I would assume they have to give you an EPP code if you request it.

I'm not sure what would be the proper line of action here because I never got into this position. But I suppose contacting the original registrar (like enom if they are resellers of enom) would be the first option as they can help you with providing the EPP codes. They are the only party which could provide you EPP other than the domain reseller.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Yes Aniqa is right. You can collect information about your original registrar through who.is and contact to them regarding your problem and also ask for EPP code. If you want to complaint against local reseller then filled with approve so that They could any action if required.

First you should try to find out your registrat name. You can find this on WHOIS. After doing this complain to the original registrar, difinetly you will get you EPP code. Alternatively also complain to ICANN at internic website.

Thanks to all.
    Another question - some of these domains are locked by this reseller. If I contact the original registrar, will they also be able to unlock and then give me the EPP code?

Also - some domains are with dotregistrar - which is now mydomain I guess. Should I directly contact mydomain support folks?

Thank you so much.

Anyone who can get the EPP can also unlock it. I'm not sure of the policies, since they can't verify you as a customer so it may be difficult to get it from them, but if your reseller is refusing to give you the code they're the ones you should talk to. And yes that would be the actual registrar, mydomain.

For the proof - I have all the invoices for renewals and registrations I have paid for with this crazy local reseller. Does anyone think that can be a proof when I go to upstream registrar for help? Thanks

I always recommend registering a domain directly with a reputable domain registrars like Network Solutions and others.
    If you have many domains that you want to transfer or register again, then please do it yourself so that you would have full control over the domains and use a decent control panel (I like the NS CP. It is really professional, once you pass all the promotional suggestions on the way).
    Also look for promotional coupons. They can save you quite a bit.
    By registering/transferring many domains, you might be eligible for a free one year extension on each domain and also probably get a bulk discount.
    Try to contact other registrars and find out if they can help you and their prices for the number of domains that you have.
    Good luck.

you can at forums like here or review sites are one of the best places as that is what they are meant for

The registrar can get you both the EPP code and unlock it, but it will usually take a little doing to get them to go around their reseller. You need to emphasize with them that you have done you best to get this done through the reseller, and they can not, or will not do it. You can expect to get a couple of canned responses from the registrar telling you to contact the reseller. Be persistent but not belligerent and they will take care of you.
    Tula Networking
    Quality Affordable Shared web hosting, Dedicated servers and Domain names since 2001
    Parallels Pro Control Panel
    24/7 Support | Personal Service

You should complain to the company they resell for.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCow View Post
    For the proof - I have all the invoices for renewals and registrations I have paid for with this crazy local reseller. Does anyone think that can be a proof when I go to upstream registrar for help? Thanks
    That should be fine - it would also help if the whois information matches your name and address.

Thanks again.
    After giving sufficient time to my local reseller, I have now contacted the upstream registrar with a complaint asking for access to my domains.
    In this case the upstream registrar is DirectI (Publicdomainregistry as I understand it) - I have contacted their compliance team as per the instructions I got from them.

Has anyone ever contacted the compliance team of DirectI (Publicdomainregistry)? How long do they take to even respond to the queries and complaints?
    It has been more than a day for me and I have not heard back from them.

Thanks

The same thing happened to somebody I know a few years ago. He contacted the upstream registrar, and it worked. I remember it took him a couple of weeks to get it resolved, but I don't know who is his upstream registrar.

Going directly to the registrar is the only thing that is going to resolve the issue, so the advice given in that respect was spot on and hopefully the OP will have his domains back under his control very soon (there are certain standard procedures that need to be followed, and the reseller needs to be given a reasonable time to respond, so there won't be an instant result... but I am confident that all will be well)

As for some of the other things that were posted here...:

1) Complaining to ICANN would have been entirely pointless. ICANN have no power over resellers.

2) There is nothing illegal about charging for for name server changes. In fact it used to be quite common in the early days before registrants were provided with control panels. If this reseller does not have a control panel and does things manually then it makes sense that they charge for their time. (I don't know if this is the case... but I do know that there are still resellers around, mostly small companies, who manage customer domains manually)

Thanks 'domainwhiz'. In my case the upstream resgistrars are 90% DirectI and remainign 10% dotregistrar/mydomain.

I have contacted DirectI and they have just given 1 response but no solution yet. I have sent them the list of my domains to get access and waiting for their response.

I will report back what happens. Thanks much

Thanks 'domainwhiz'. In my case the upstream resgistrars are 90% DirectI and remainign 10% dotregistrar/mydomain.

I have contacted DirectI and they have just given 1 response but no solution yet. I have sent them the list of my domains to get access and waiting for their response.

I will report back what happens. Thanks much
    I suppose that is right decision you have made. I suppose they will update you soon and please keep us informed in this thread about everything.

Lubeca - the whole point is I have asked for EPP code which the reseller is supposed to help the domain owner with. For a week I have spoken to them on a daily basis and each day they continued to promise to send me EPP code within 1 hour of me talking to them to by EOD that day.

But until today - I have not heard back from them. The point I am trying to make is when they start charging extra money for even changing name servers and similar things, no sensible person would continue with them which means they would want to move out to a better registrar and that is when they duty of giving the EPP codes comes and make it a harassing experience.

On the note of offering control panels if their upstream registrars are providing it why can't the local reseller?

On the note of offering control panels if their upstream registrars are providing it why can't the local reseller?
    What makes you think that the two are in any way connected?

Registrars, generally, provide control panels for resellers only - not for customers of resellers. If resellers want to set up control panels for their customers they have to set up their own - they can't just give their customers access to the registrar's control panel as that would enable every one of their customers to access their entire account.

Resellers are free to set up customer control panels or not - depending on their business model.

I have a reseller account with a registrar. About half the domains in that account are mine, or belong to family or friends. The other half belong to people who pay me - either just for the domains, or for other related services. I don't offer a domain name registration service to the public. I don't have or need control panels for my customers - the service I offer is based on doing everything for them (because they are non-techies and that's what they want). My business model is as legitimate as that of companies who offer self-service domain name registrations via customer control panels.

If you ask me, I always deal with Registrars that have accreditations - don't trust resellers.

Thanks again.
    After giving sufficient time to my local reseller, I have now contacted the upstream registrar with a complaint asking for access to my domains.
    In this case the upstream registrar is DirectI (Publicdomainregistry as I understand it) - I have contacted their compliance team as per the instructions I got from them.

Has anyone ever contacted the compliance team of DirectI (Publicdomainregistry)? How long do they take to even respond to the queries and complaints?
    It has been more than a day for me and I have not heard back from them.

Thanks
    I havent contacted them but I have heard that they take action ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by alisekaspar View Post
    Hi i m alise kaspar,,,,,,i have also problem regarding domain reseller,,,,i have also want the address for complaining it.....so there is any information than pls inform me,,,,,,,,,,
    Complain tour upstream registrar. WHO is you registrar??