Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* DDoS Defend Review - Best DDoS Protection I've experienced!

Before I start about DDoS Defend I want to discuss my history with DDoS protection companies to further cement why these guys are so great.

AdminGeekz
    At the beginning, the DDoS attacks started small. <100mbps. I was using AdminGeekz at the time and they did a great job with mitigating those attacks (not to mention the superior service they provide). It wasn't until the attacks started getting above 100mbps. That's when things got confusing and to make a long story very short, I dropped them and went with ServerOrigin for their protection. I still HIGHLY recommend AdminGeekz! Scott is great and he has amazing support staff!

ServerOrigin
    Very long and boring story short, I had a horrible experience with them. In Google Webmaster tools, Google was saying my site was taking 20 seconds to load when the bot came to my site. This dropped so many of my SERPs and decreased my daily uniques from 50k/day to less than 30k/day. Google's algorithm has weighed load times quite heavily the last year or 2 now so that killed me when it would take them 20s to load any page (I wish I took a screen shot of it at the time to show comparisons). On top of the load speeds, the site wouldn't load often enough to get many complaints on my site about it (yelling at me to fix the problem) and many of my users were complaining about getting blocked from the site so that wasn't good for business. All I know is, I wasn't happy with the service and neither was my user base. After them, I went on to try SharkTech.

SharkTech
    They offer you the "Best DDoS Protection Service at No Extra Cost". Well, best wasn't good enough for me I suppose. Multiple attacks would get through multiple times (seemed often but not sure how often) causing our IP to be nullrouted. I was never provided logs so I can't say how big the attacks were. Bottom line is, my site seemed to be null routed multiple times which didn't make me a happy customer (my fault for having "enemies" I suppose). Other than the lil mishap I had with them due to a non-ddos issue, they were great with customer support and provide some nice servers at a great cost. If you don't get big attacks, I would say they would be a great service to use and I would recommend using them; but if they null route you often, keep reading to find the solution.

BlackLotus
    Just like ServerOrigin, my site seemed to load extremely slow. Better than SO though. Google reported 15s load times! lol Still terrible but hey, it's better. I wasn't happy with the DDoS protection. Seemed too many of my users were being blocked from the site and some attacks I believe got through (not sure, I just know the site wasn't working well and I didn't ask questions since I knew I was getting off the service quickly). Both BL and SO run on the same technology if I read their blogs correctly, which would explain why both proxy services were blocking some of my legit traffic. And you have to remember, I was only getting emails from my active users since they knew our support email. I wonder how many guests and newer users were actually blocked too. Needless to say, support was great but I didn't give them much of a chance as I didn't like the load times or the server and protection I bought from them so I got off them quick.

DDoS Defend
    So, onto why I'm writing this review. DDoS Defend...AMAZING! I'm a hard customer to please (as you can see from the above comments) and they've gone above and beyond my expectations. I moved to a reliable hosting network and added them as my proxy before I mitigated my site over from BlackLotus. Once it was over and my users started accessing the new server + DDoS Defend, you should have seen the replies!!! Everyone was ecstatic I finally found a solution that could both protect us as well as keep the site loading hella fast. The site load times for myself has ranged from 0.7s-1.8s (the other networks ranged from 5s-60s+; 10s being average for me).

I've been on their service for a month now. Over the course a month on any service, I would normally be down multiple times due to large scale attacks. With DDoS Defend, we haven't experienced any down time due to DDoS (yet). We've had some hiccups in getting our server to work with this service (1-2 hiccups, very minimal for such a new service) but other than that, the service has been a Godsend.

I've been able to cut my expenses with this amazing service and have the peace of mind that these guys are actually good at what they advertise. And as I said, the performance and load times on my site are amazing. Having the protection + performance has been so great. Google has started increasing my SERPs again and after about a year of trying to catch back up to the Google damage that was done with experimenting, I've finally hit my 50,000 uniques a few days now in the last week.

Lastly, my users are VERY happy with how the site is performing. They were sick of the slow load times, all the errors we were having, etc. My goal is to always make my members happy and this was a small investment with greatest return. I can't say enough about this service and the team they have. Absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend these guys if you have DDoS troubles that you've not been able to resolve (plus they are super INEXPENSIVE!).

tl;dr
    I've exhausted many of the DDoS "solutions" out there, but only one has worked great for me: DDoS Defend. And they are inexpensive for the amount of protection and performance they provide. A++ service.

Great review!! Would you mind sharing the cost incurred and the filtering capacity of the plan that you are on with Ddos defend?
    James B
    EzeeloginSetup your Secure Linux SSH Gateway.
    |Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

Mind sharing what kind of site that you run?

Seems to be a troublesome site that you've there

With ServerOrigin and BlackLotus you had dedicated server with them or use only their proxy? Because if your dedicated was in other datacenter it makes sense the crawler delay.

i am wondering what kind of site you have with those very huge ddos'es.
    and what makes your "enemy" eager to make you die
    please cmiiw always

In all fairness, none of these reviews are apples to apples comparisons. I find it highly unlikely that the same botnet was attacking the OP's site at the same intensity for each of the companies he was hopping around on. There are many factors that affect the quality of service, to include the type of protection purchased, the delivery medium (server vs. proxy), the attack itself, and the customer's backend settings just to name a few.

I do not believe ServerOrigin was using any Black Lotus technology at the time that the OP was a customer there. I do know that ServerOrigin has many very big name customers and none of them have slow web sites, at least not after we started doing performance monitoring for them Q3 2010.

For those who are interested, DDoS Defend is an Awknet customer.

Please share us the URL. Otherwise this review is nothing.... May be jeff or some one else can tell there side of story if needed.
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

I only vaguely remember the OP and do not remember the site. I'm sure the story would be nothing exciting though, his site ran slow at every major provider on the market and then somewhere along the line the problem was fixed or the attack changed.

He's happy with his current host, so be it .

My sysadmin would be better suited to describe the configuration. I won't provide a URL, sorry. If you will discount this review due to the fact I won't provide a URL, well that's just ridiculous and I really don't care. I wrote this review to help others with a similar problem and if you own or are a rep of one of the companies I wasn't happy with...sorry, but all I care about right now is my and my members happiness with how the site has been running for the past month and I'm not looking to please anyone else. This was posted in the case that someone had similar experiences as me (as I know there are people out there since I've spoken with them on admin forums), to help them find a solution that worked for me and might possibly work for them too. I tried to give the pros for each of the companies, so I would be happy if I were you as I could have omitted that and just made the current situation look that much better. Just saying...

I tried many different solutions with the above mentioned. ServerOrigin I used as a proxy as well as 2 dedicate servers on their network, both yielding the same result (slow, blocking legit traffic, errors out the wazzoo). I also bought a dedicated server from BL, which I believe I even stated in the OP, maybe not directly but could be very easily interpreted...never tried their proxy through a different network.

My main point of this whole thing is, I've tried multiple networks with pretty much the same or supposedly better set ups than what I'm currently using, all yielding much lesser results. In fact, when I first started using SO, admingeekz was admining the server at the same hosting service I'm using currently. Are you undermining their work that they do? Because it sure sounds like it and I don't think they would appreciate that. I'd say to have a chat with Scott on his and my experiences dealing with the proxy and all the problems we had if you think the configurations and set up were terrible.

I'm not saying it could or couldn't be the set up, but having 2 different sysadmins (again, one being AdminGeekz who are highly praised on this site) doing the set ups and yielding the same results, kind of cause for concern but once we move to the new server with very similar set up we had on SO (while still with AdminGeekz) and the site actually loads fast...I'm just saying, I'm very happy with the service, price, support and performance of DDoS Defend and couldn't ask for more. If you are from another company, sorry, it just didn't work for me. Not saying it doesn't work for other people, because I know it does. What I'm saying is, DDoS Defend worked amazing for me and their cost is far below the "industry standard" which makes me love them even more.

I can try to get a rep to say something in this thread if you would like...?

As for the people that do this to my site, I'm in the gaming niche (in which I get 40-50k uniques a day, so a lot of chances to make pissed off people) and if you know anything about the young gamers now a days, if you piss them off (whether it's because they got banned from the site for not following rules, they don't like a member or even staff member, or they own a competitor site...they really don't even need much reason tbh) they know where to find the resources to attack your site (I mean c'mon, we know all the resources are out there and they are free and easily accessible if they so desired to look it up).

If you happen to find my URL, I'd greatly appreciate it if it were left private and if you think we should discuss the URL after you've found it, please PM me and we can see what we can do. I will not post the URL and I hope I get enough respect from people for others not to post it without my consent.

Glad to see you have found a solution. I can confirm the above story sounds about right, while I have not spoken to the OP for over a year it does sound about right.

I want to add at no point did we provide ddos mitigation services to the OP. We did provide system administration to the OP and in turn we did filter the GET/POST floods with proxys as any system administrator would do. Towards the end the OP was receiving straight UDP floods (from 2-3 sources) which would saturate the uplink and couldn't be filtered at the system level. The hosting provider at the time did manually ACL these from time to time but it would be a tedious process.

This is when the OP moved to SO , what happened after this I cannot add much to other than the start which my understanding was the attacks suddenly went from the odd 100-200mbps UDP flood from 2-3 sources to 6gbps+ or whatever other numbers where floating around at that point. I never seen any evidence of this but by that point it had nothing to do with us, the system was online and any further problems were relating to the proxy. This is when the OP moved fully to SO and after that point we no longer provided management.

It's pretty clear the OP had problems with the named providers, what those are I don't know and can't elude to but I do know from prior experience his requirements were not alot. Filter the odd UDP flood (only from a tiny amount of sources) and the rest is a simple proxy. It's somewhat clear this is what the OP has now (with awknet who will be filtering the UDP floods and ddos defend with their simple proxy), why he had issues with the other providers I have no idea because as I said all that happened from our perspective was the OP simply couldn't sustain the simple link saturation floods at a server-level and needed to use a provider that was willing to filter these. The rest is fairly standard, can and was done, server-side.

Weather the attacks have changed or not since then, again I do not know. I did at the time think something wasn't right when it went from 100-200 mbps max for a 2-3 month period to 6gbps+ at SO in the space of a month, again however there was no evidence of this.
    Last edited by Scott.Mc; 02-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    I only vaguely remember the OP and do not remember the site. I'm sure the story would be nothing exciting though, his site ran slow at every major provider on the market and then somewhere along the line the problem was fixed or the attack changed.

He's happy with his current host, so be it .
    I know his site and it will remain anonymous from me for the respect of his request although I can personally agree with the slow speeds from Black Lotus.

Anyway, I am a previous customer of Black Lotus. I was with them for exactly a 12 month term and I would personally be glad to tell you my experience with them.

The support for the most part is great; with most of their agents (Ryan Smith for example) answering support tickets almost immediately after creating which is very nice for the customers.

Although there is a few agents (Jeff for example) who loves to push $2500/m plans in the lower end paying customers faces when they obviously know they cannot afford it. I guess it gives them the self satisfaction of knowing they can get away from helping their lower end paying customers.

When a lower end customer creates a support ticket they most of the time right away suggest to upgrade to their higher up plans ($2300-$2400 more a month) before even attempting to help, regardless of how many times you tell them you cannot afford it; I mean come on, $100-$200/m is definitely without a doubt no where near $2500/m.

Also lets not forgot to mention when you get a DDoS attack thats over your protection limit they instantly null route your assigned IP address for 72 hours (without checking on the progress of the attack etc). So you can pretty much easily get a DDoS attack that maybe only lasts for a few minutes that goes over your protection pps rate that you pay for and get a instant 72 hours offline.

So I personally found 99% of the time the null route downtime was lasting way over the downtime from the DDoS. I personally don't think a 72 hour null route is best solution to dealing with DDoS (specially if they aren't even bothering to check if the attack has slowed to a rate they can filter for you).

Overall I think the company is horrible for lower end paying customers I highly suggest without a doubt that nobody purchases from them unless your planning on spending $2500/m.

Now last but not least I can't forget to mention DDoS Defend. I recently just purchased from them and between their remote DDoS proxy protection and my own server I can truly say its faster load speeds, less downtime, better protection, and no Jeff. Best move in this scene I have made is moving over with their company.

Save the time, money, headache, and stress and go with DDoS Defend so you don't have to deal with them.

- BreaKp0inT
    Last edited by BreaKp0inT; 02-18-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Indeed, if you have a DDoS attack that is outside the advertised capability of your plan and you expect help with it the immediate reply to every ticket will be to inform you that you're not on the correct plan.

The 72 hour null route is to encourage customers who are not paying for the bandwidth that they're attracting to move out. This is never done as a first resort, always as a last resort after much consideration by management.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc View Post
    Weather the attacks have changed or not since then, again I do not know. I did at the time think something wasn't right when it went from 100-200 mbps max for a 2-3 month period to 6gbps+ at SO in the space of a month, again however there was no evidence of this.
    ServerOrigin was at one point purchasing IP services from a provider who would fabricate attack data. That problem has since been resolved and is no way a reflection upon ServerOrigin.

Indeed, if you have a DDoS attack that is outside the advertised capability of your plan and you expect help with it the immediate reply to every ticket will be to inform you that you're not on the correct plan.

The 72 hour null route is to encourage customers who are not paying for the bandwidth that they're attracting to move out. This is never done as a first resort, always as a last resort after much consideration by management.
    I never said I expected help I simply said that pushing a $2500/m plan and a 72 hour null route does not make your lower end customers who clearly can't afford the higher priced plans want to consider to upgrade. This just causes nothing but assigned downtime by your company to try to get us to upgrade so Black Lotus can make more money.

I love how you say its never done as a first resort as you and I both know it pretty much is. And the much consideration between management is a lie, its a clear decision made upon yourself and basically nobody else when your getting the feeling you don't want to deal with a specific customer any longer.

Yes, that is what I just said (although there are other management involved). How is that a lie? If you're paying $229/mo and costing me $2000+ naturally you'll be asked to pay or leave.

Funny when there are accusations about the person giving a review about a site/service, they are doing it to discredit that user and the member base here jumps on the flame train, but when it's vice versa, it's considered slander. Just something unprofessional I've noticed so far in this thread. And even funnier that once Scott came in here to confirm my experience, not a peep more about what I've said. Going back to some previous comments made...

This is DEFINITELY comparing APPLES TO APPLES (which again, by this statement, you were trying to discredit my opinion -> not very professional from my POV since you were assuming my prior set ups were different). Excluding SharkTech, BlackLotus and ServerOrigin both offer a proxy service do they not? At the same token, I've used SO for both a proxy as well as using an in house server that they set up themselves; also purchased one of the largest servers through BL so that was also "in house". Configs were done by different sysadmins, both yielding the same end user experience. Coincidence?

So when you said "his site ran slow at every major provider on the market and then somewhere along the line the problem was fixed or the attack changed", yes I fixed the problem! I moved my site around until I found something that actually worked for me and my site!! As Scott said, "but I do know from prior experience his requirements were not alot. Filter the odd UDP flood (only from a tiny amount of sources) and the rest is a simple proxy." I'm not a DDoS professional, hence the reason I hire such services but I was never shown any logs and when I asked, I was told that I needed to pay extra (a few hundred/month). If it's a one time thing, why not just show logs to show you what you are saying is true? Otherwise it looks and sounds like you are trying to hide something with offering such a high price just to view the logs =========>>>>>>> Just my opinion though.

Now, I've started using DDoS Defend as a proxy on my "off network" server. The way you (Jeff) stated your comments, I'm assuming this is the less ideal scenario yet it's been the best performing set up we've had and our users love it and have left multiple messages on my profile thanking me for "fixing the problem" and thanking me for making the site load fast (not to mention the thread about the server being over 100 replies long). Little do they know, I have little to do with it and all the credit should go to DDoS Defend and my sysadmin.

AzzidReign,

I'm actually pretty confused about your post, especially as to why you and your friend are consistently becoming increasingly upset. I said I was happy for you. What more do you require?

I am pointing out the technical aspects of your scenario for the benefit of the community here, not to flame you. As a veteran of this industry, my original comments stand. The attacks you receive now are not the same attacks that you received before. That is the nature of DDoS. The attacks you have now could be more or less complex or difficult to mitigate than the ones prior.

Jeff, I was only pointing out things I don't like to see on this site. Any time a "new" user posts a review on the site, people try to find ways to discredit what they have said. Seems most companies want to discredit me by the demographics of my site's userbase and then lead to the conclusion that I "must be a kid" to discredit me even more (talking about a different thread/post on WHT, which I believe 1 or 2 of the responses in this thread was leading to but I tried barely touching upon it in my second post). It's just a trend I noticed and I could have seen it go in that direction until Scott posted.

You had said you were happy for me after trying to get your point(s) across, thus trying to appear to care to show users reading this that you are nice and care for past clients. Though you continue to say that the nature of DDoS is to change/modify, but all this hopping around has occurred for the past 11 months now and it maintaining a similar behavior the entire time. For it to suddenly drop and my site work great once I move to DDoS Defend and blaming it on the "nature of DDoS" is just wishful thinking on BL, SO and ST end. It's just hard for me to wrap my mind around it suddenly changing once we move when it was a consistent trend for 11 months.

I just felt by your first few posts/remarks you were trying to discredit me/my review even though I said nice things about your company. I'm not upset at all and I apologize if it appears that way. I'm only trying to point out the faults in this argument. But hey, you're the expert in this area so I guess we can go with what you believe is the cause for the sudden change: "The nature of DDoS".

What ever it is, I'm extremely happy with my current set up because my members are happy. I love being able to load my site and load it quick when I sit down at the computer and want to check a few things out on the site. It was very irritating when I couldn't do that and when it would take forever when I just wanted to do simple tasks (as I'm sure many people can relate to at one time in their past).

Again, I apologize for all this if I offended you. As I said in my first post, you guys provided nice support, I just don't think the server was right for me. You guys were caught in a bad position since we needed to be on a better server with better components (and found a great one for a great deal somewhere else) and then I heard about a much cheaper service that offered more protection and better performance so I took the chance. It worked! And if it hadn't, I definitely would have been trying BL out again, no doubt.

AzzidReign,

I am trying to make two points. The first being that you found a host that you're happy with and accordingly i'm happy for you. It's commonly said around here that there is no best host, only the best host for you.

On a related, but separate note, I am pointing out for the benefit of the readers that DDoS consistently evolves as do the mitigation practices and providers employed by DDoS mitigation providers. The attacks are now different from when you first started seeing them and the providers you once used are now using different methods to stop these new attacks. The entire industry is a cat and mouse game.

You're entitled to speak your mind about the various providers and share your experiences, but by no means are your opinions matter of fact as you're viewing this problem from a very limited perspective. Those of us who have been around for a long time (ourselves, ServerOrigin, SharkTech, etc) have a lot of insight to share.

Customer originally came to us with <1Gbps attacks around 80K PPS which continued to grow as feuding continued between the customer's site and other competitors. Attacks did originally started with UDP only, then TCP, ICMP/UDP, SYN/GET, TCP-Option/Trash floods, etc.

Within a few months the customer's plan was well below the limits of the protection he required. There was also clear proof and attack data provided as during this time we were reporting 5.7Gbps peaks inbound to our ethProxy mitigation at Softlayer (at that time) and verified by pushing it to Staminus which reported 6.4Gbps. The customer only purchased 3Gbps of protection so it was clearly 100% above the purchased protection, therefore the service was being nulled/disabled heavily and likely very slow! 3Gbps Protection -vs- 6Gbps attack. You would have better luck squeezing an Escalade through the front door of your house.

I can only speak to ServerOrigin specifically and I will say that we have a 97.4% renewal rate on one-year contracts. Most of our customers notice an increase in performance above direct connectivity due to the complex caching and distribution included with the ethProxy service.

In any case, glad you're happy with your new service. Hope things continue to go well in the future.

ServerOrigin has continued to build on our services from nearly a year ago when you were with us. I will state that we did have some networking issues during that time as we moved out of Staminus and began doing our own filtering. Before doing our own mitigation in-house we were much more dependent on upstream providers to provide accurate saturation-based numbers. This is one reason we now purchase our own bandwidth and have continued to build our own infrastructure with the Black Lotus solutions partnership. This ensures we can see every inch of our network so accurate reporting can be handled without second-guessing.
    Last edited by FiberPeer; 02-19-2011 at 01:24 AM.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

AzzidReign,

I am trying to make two points. The first being that you found a host that you're happy with and accordingly i'm happy for you. It's commonly said around here that there is no best host, only the best host for you.

On a related, but separate note, I am pointing out for the benefit of the readers that DDoS consistently evolves as do the mitigation practices and providers employed by DDoS mitigation providers. The attacks are now different from when you first started seeing them and the providers you once used are now using different methods to stop these new attacks. The entire industry is a cat and mouse game.

You're entitled to speak your mind about the various providers and share your experiences, but by no means are your opinions matter of fact as you're viewing this problem from a very limited perspective. Those of us who have been around for a long time (ourselves, ServerOrigin, SharkTech, etc) have a lot of insight to share.
    I meant to post my addition to this and I missed it

I can't speak to the kind of attacks you had prior to coming to us or after leaving us but I will state our experience:

For example, a customer signs up with us and has attacks up to 40k PPS or so. Very small, right? Likely, the customer is being attacked by an attacker which is running DDoS attacks as a business. As a business, that attacker is only using the resources required to impact you. Once protection brings the site up, the attacks normally increase. Sometimes the increase is only a few thousand PPS but we it could increase exponentially by manipulating the attack pattern or simply throwing more resources at you.

Second Example:
    1) We hear horror stories of customers going to provider 'x' and the attack is being reported, for example, at 2Gbps.

2) That person changes providers because they don't want to pay the upgrade, they are unhappy, etc.

3) They are setup with the new provider and now the impact is gone! *poof*

4) Customer raves how wonderful the new provider is and the provider states they are filtering the attack. (Yet they may only be seeing 5% of what was the overall prior)

5) All is well.... Month passes.... Now this provider is reporting 2Gbps and the their site is down because they purchased 1Gbps of protection. This worked last month! Why does it not work now!?

We have done trials for customers and continued to receive their attack for weeks after their domain was moved from our IP. I'm sure they found another provider who was cheaper and *appeared* to be doing everything they stated and we were simply trying to pull the covers over their eyes. *shrug*

There are far too many variables in the mitigation market to simply provide a guaranteed outcome if the customer isn't willing to:

1) Stick it out and let the mitigation do it's job.
    For example:
    -- A burst hits and the customer begins thinking the mitigation isn't working! Yet, they are seeing less than 1% of what the burst is, however to them it's the end of the world. The company isn't doing their job so they change DNS instead of allowing a few minutes for things to settle and detection to accurately block the fresh attack or pattern change.

-- The DNS change severely disrupts traffic flow and attack output or input to the mitigation provider. This, in turn, lowers the overall attack incoming but makes it unstable and now the profile for the attack has changed by 50% or more. Therefore, original thresholds in place to prevent the attack are no longer low enough to be hit because the attack just dropped 50% below the threshold.

-- This requires the provider to either manually lower those thresholds to compensate for the drop or wait on the mitigation to do this automatically. Changes in this form, manual intervention, can cause severe disruptions in the efficiency of mitigation overall.

Now, DNS is just one factor and I used it as an example because it is the most typical. However, you have to trust the provider and believe in what they're doing. If you cannot trust your provider and cannot allow them time to do their job then the purpose of mitigation is wasted. Any change or modification, caching, database changes, site layout, etc. Some of the simplest modifications can greatly increase efficiency or greatly reduce overall efficiency.

I state this simply as an example of overall mitigation. The most common issue in the mitigation market is the lack of information and knowledge floating around for clients interested in DDoS protection. This is a new issue for most and the amount of talent worldwide that has *real* understanding of attacks and mitigation is extremely limited. It isn't the customer's fault, it's an overall lack of educational material in this market. This is one of the issues many providers, like ourselves, intend to address.

In Summary:
    I completely agree with Jeff's statement and that is why I added the examples above. Sometimes it isn't as simple as stating provider 'x' didn't do their job or lied to me about this or that. The performance issues stated can also be due to numerous variables.

I specifically remember one large variable in us mitigating your attacks and the slowness was that we are an unmanaged dedicated provider, you dropped your management company and expected us to pickup management overnight of your website and services. Yet, we had no real experience with your site's inner workings, database, configuration, etc.

Were you running optimally? Certainly not, but you had a dedicated server with us for 3 days There wasn't time for optimal. You were under heavy attacks as we attempted migration from a server with a load average well above 110 at the time. We did the best with the hand we were dealt.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
    Last edited by FiberPeer; 02-19-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by ServerOrigin View Post
    ServerOrigin has continued to build on our services from nearly a year ago when you were with us. I will state that we did have some networking issues during that time as we moved out of Staminus and began doing our own filtering. Before doing our own mitigation in-house we were much more dependent on upstream providers to provide accurate saturation-based numbers. This is one reason we now purchase our own bandwidth and have continued to build our own infrastructure with the Black Lotus solutions partnership. This ensures we can see every inch of our network so accurate reporting can be handled without second-guessing.
    I'm glad you guys are improving. The world needs more protection from DDoS as it's getting cheaper and cheaper for hackers to utilize.

I completely agree with Jeff's statement and that is why I added the examples above. Sometimes it isn't as simple as stating provider 'x' didn't do their job or lied to me about this or that. The performance issues stated can also be due to numerous variables.

I specifically remember one large variable in us mitigating your attacks and the slowness was that we are an unmanaged dedicated provider, you dropped your management company and expected us to pickup management overnight of your website and services. Yet, we had no real experience with your site's inner workings, database, configuration, etc.
    No where in this thread have I said you didn't do your job or lied. You mention you gave me proof. The proof I was given was:
    Me: What size where the attacks?
    Support ticket guy: The attack was 4gbps with 700,000 PPS (fictional statistic used for example)

If you want to say that is proof, our definitions of proof are different. I do not believe I was ever given graphs. Who knows, I may have a few times but more times than not, I was given the attack details like mentioned above in support tickets. Were they correct? Possibly but you as well as Jeff both mentioned that there were some fallacies in the numbers that you guys were provided. So I"m not saying you were in the wrong, maybe the people you utilized were wrong. Maybe they were right. Who knows but this thread is definitely not about that. This thread is about the service I feel I got from DDoS Defend.

And then you mention about the "unmanaged" part. Cool. You even said it was 3 days. Prior to that I was with AdminGeekz managing my server and you guys with the proxy and had very similar results with the unmanaged server. Now if you want to talk about the configurations of our server making it appear your proxy was crud, then I think you should open a new thread and talk to Scott from AdminGeekz. I trust Scott knows what he's doing and I believe most of the people on the site that know him, knows he's a great sysadmin and knows his stuff. So by discrediting anything I've said is discrediting him and his teams work. But I'm done going into what happened when we move to your dedicated server. Probably my fault it didn't work but that's behind me and I'm not the one bringing it back up.

I'm happy with where I'm at now. My members are extremely happy with how the site is performing thus far. Even if you remove the DDoS attacks from the equation, my site is performing much better through this server than the prior services. Do I know why? Not quite, I can only jump to conclusions since this isn't my expertise, which is why you try to discredit me.

Only reason I mentioned prior services was to show that I've had a long road the last year of trying to find a solution that would work for us. Does this mean it will work for everyone else? Idk, just like the others didn't work for me. To me, it's worth a shot for what they offer and the prices they offer. I tried many different things and upgrading various services. I suggest people to not stop until they are entirely happy.

And since SO knows my history with DDoS and knows that it happens multiple times a month (it felt like multiple times per week but I didn't mark em on my calendar ), I'll chalk up the last month to a "fluke" and I'll try coming back in another month to share my experiences for the 2 months and then another month after that. I think 3 months would be good enough for a sample of data as to how this service works for me.

I'm happy where I'm at. I'm not attacking these other companies and saying that they did or didn't do their job, lied or didn't lie about protection; all I'm saying is DDoS defend has been great for me. Protection is great, support guys are nice and very quick, and the performance of my site has vastly increased.

Why do you require "proof?" Unless you want to come to the datacenter and console into or setup a tap on our routers the "proof" isn't actually proof of anything.

Second, what would you do with "proof?" The reasons I can come up with are that you don't trust the provider (in which case you should move out regardless), that you want to send the data to law enforcement (completely useless, it can only be used as evidence if obtained by LE through a wire tap order), or that you want to use it to show to another host that you're scouting.

In any case, it's overly time consuming and of little value for a host to do this for you unless you're specifically paying for that research.

Why do you require "proof?" Unless you want to come to the datacenter and console into or setup a tap on our routers the "proof" isn't actually proof of anything.

Second, what would you do with "proof?" The reasons I can come up with are that you don't trust the provider (in which case you should move out regardless), that you want to send the data to law enforcement (completely useless, it can only be used as evidence if obtained by LE through a wire tap order), or that you want to use it to show to another host that you're scouting.

In any case, it's overly time consuming and of little value for a host to do this for you unless you're specifically paying for that research.
    Proof I was looking at was graphs. I was always asked for proof by sysadmins like AdminGeekz and my current guy. Again, I'm the messenger when it comes to services like yourself. If you want to know why they wanted proof, ask them why. Don't jump to conclusions and try making me look bad again. You are just bringing stuff into this thread that has become personal between us to. I'm not the one bringing it in here, you are. Please remain professional for the sake of this thread and if you really wanted to talk about things, maybe replying the emails I had sent would be a good start. I've tried to be the nice one and you were attacking me right away and you wouldn't even hear me out. I'm trying to mend things which is why everything from our past was not proposed in this thread.

Anyways, this thread is NOT about you. This is about DDoS Defend. Let it continue after this post please. Thanks.
    Last edited by AzzidReign; 02-19-2011 at 04:40 PM.

just out of curiosity - how much do you pay/month to protect your site? Ballpark?
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by AzzidReign View Post
    Proof I was looking at was graphs. I was always asked for proof by sysadmins like AdminGeekz and my current guy. Again, I'm the messenger when it comes to services like yourself. If you want to know why they wanted proof, ask them why. Don't jump to conclusions and try making me look bad again. You are just bringing stuff into this thread that has become personal between us to. I'm not the one bringing it in here, you are. Please remain professional as I have tried.

Anyways, this thread is NOT about you. This is about DDoS Defend. Let it continue after this post please. Thanks.
    Azzid: I am sure Jeff understands just as I do that the thread was initially meant to be about DDOS Defend however you did go out of your way to call our solutions slow or crud then it likely will not go unnoticed without a response from the provider.

Simply stating 'it did not work for us' would have been better initially than waiting until page 2 to state it's not personal or targeted at those companies.

In either case, I do look forward to the next review as your track record has ruled out several long-time mitigation providers with an excellent history. The common factor being your site and apparently many services that are horrible. When you have been through this many companies, it becomes questionable as to what the real problem is.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzidReign View Post
    Proof I was looking at was graphs. I was always asked for proof by sysadmins like AdminGeekz and my current guy. Again, I'm the messenger when it comes to services like yourself. If you want to know why they wanted proof, ask them why. Don't jump to conclusions and try making me look bad again. You are just bringing stuff into this thread that has become personal between us to. I'm not the one bringing it in here, you are. Please remain professional for the sake of this thread and if you really wanted to talk about things, maybe replying the emails I had sent would be a good start. I've tried to be the nice one and you were attacking me right away and you wouldn't even hear me out. I'm trying to mend things which is why everything from our past was not proposed in this thread.

Contrary to your opinion there is no conspiracy theory to discredit you or your host. No one here has said anything that would even begin to qualify as unprofessional.

That's fine, wait for a month then. I've written multiple reviews on other sites for other products and if the products work, I give good reviews. Reviews need to be honest. I've written a great review about my current sysadmin and even written great testimonials for the multiple graphic designers and even AdminGeekz. Just because I don't like 3 products doesn't mean that is a track record. How about I post all my testimonials and reviews from other sites here so you can truly see my track record. If the service works well for me, I let people know. If it doesn't work well for me, I also let people know. I shouldn't insulted by saying "his track record is bad" just because I didn't like your service and you have no clue what my history has been.

Again, you can wait if you'd like. But the performance alone is more than I could ask for when I was just expecting DDoS protection and a laggy proxy due to my past experiences.

That's certainly good news. I think what ServerOrigin was trying to say is that you could have chosen to focus purely on your outstanding experience with DDoS Defend without bringing other providers into the mix.

That's certainly good news. I think what ServerOrigin was trying to say is that you could have chosen to focus purely on your outstanding experience with DDoS Defend without bringing other providers into the mix.
    Why would he want to do that? The whole point of a review such like this one is to show what he currently has had a good experience with and what he has previously has had a bad experience with. This helps some of the same community he is personally a part of from making the same bad choices he has made previously, only with the state of mind to help them save money.

I personally don't think just because he didn't go on saying Black Lotus was great experience in the review (when it really far from is from my personal experience) you shouldn't go on saying he shouldn't focus on stating his previous experiences with other providers.

- BreaKp0inT

Perhaps another thread would have been a better venue?

Perhaps another thread would have been a better venue?
    Or perhaps not. My opinions expressed in this thread are completely relevant and I'm sure they are an accurate reflection of AzzidReign's opinion as well.

- BreaKp0inT

Quote Originally Posted by BreaKp0inT View Post
    Why would he want to do that? The whole point of a review such like this one is to show what he currently has had a good experience with and what he has previously has had a bad experience with. This helps some of the same community he is personally a part of from making the same bad choices he has made previously, only with the state of mind to help them save money.

I personally don't think just because he didn't go on saying Black Lotus was great experience in the review (when it really far from is from my personal experience) you shouldn't go on saying he shouldn't focus on stating his previous experiences with other providers.

- BreaKp0inT
    Don't worry about it. I'm done trying to get them to see my point of view (which you obviously understood ).

Quote Originally Posted by ServerOrigin View Post
    In either case, I do look forward to the next review as your track record has ruled out several long-time mitigation providers with an excellent history.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news to those that expected me to turn around and complain about DDoS Defend after a few months like I had with a few of the other companies. Sorry guys, you were wrong. These guys still ROCK!

As you can see by the comments made in this thread, I'm not easy to please. I've not found a single thing to complain about with DDoS Defend...and trust me, if I did, I would post it like I had with the others. I believe in honest reviews, I guess that's a rare thing to find here and certain people don't like it. If you look up cell phone reviews, nearly all reviews will include a comparison between at least one other cell phone (now days it's everything in comparison to iPhone, Evo and whatever new phone is out); which is why I made a thread like this. Why make a separate review for the same services given by different companies? You can see why the companies don't like these types of reviews, but these are the best for the consumers, you know...those that are paying for these services! I guess they think it's too unfair as the "conditions" may have changed. I'll tell you this though, the conditions hadn't changed at all for a whole year with the 3, 4 or 5 other services I used...and then it just stopped when I used DDoS Defend? Yeah, makes a lot of sense. Believe what you want, I don't care. It is what it is. I'm just happy my users are excited that they can load the site 99% of the time (and without much lag or errors from the proxy!).

So, I've been with these guys for 3 months now (well, in 2 days). I've had downtime on my site, but it was mainly due to my server and not their service. They had a single blip that put me down for 5 minutes...at most (I didn't time it, just saw that by the time I submitted the ticket, it was up and running again and they apologized within minutes of the ticket). 5 minutes over 3 months, not bad at all. Definitely not what I'm use to from DDoS protection service. Also, I've only had to submit 2 support tickets with them. Once at the beginning due to incompatibility between their service and our server (took all but 2-3 responses to fix) and then the time it went down for <5 minutes. Again, definitely not what I'm use to with services like DDoS Defend. A++ service (still) IMHO.
    I'll continue to update this thread as the months go by. Maybe these guys are so great right now because they are just starting out and care for all of the clients they have. Not sure how it will be when they get bigger, but as long as my site loads and they mitigate the attacks, I have no reason to complain and will continue using these services!

Another month has gone by. I've not had to create any tickets in the last month. BUT from my understanding, my site had some downtime last night of less than an hour due to the proxy. Luckily, this occurred at the lowest point in the day and after asking 20 of my most active members, only 1 of them could provide me some detail on this incidence.

I'm still very happy with the service. My opinion hasn't changed about these guys. Still top notch. I've referred multiple bigboard admin friends of mine to these guys and they've also been very happy.

AzzidReign,

The ddosdefends homepage looks like having some problems, they are not having any new for a months. No knowledgebase info at their website..

Can you advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Henqi View Post
    AzzidReign,

The ddosdefends homepage looks like having some problems, they are not having any new for a months. No knowledgebase info at their website..

Can you advice?
    What problems? I've not see any, though I don't visit their site unless I'm having issues with mine (which has averaged out to be less than 1 time per month). If you would like, I can try to direct them to this thread if you continue to have problems with their site.

To give an update on this whole situation, I'm still very happy with their service. Some users in this thread would claim to be very surprised by this. I'm sorry if I hold companies and services up to the standards they claim. What's wrong with that? Apparently my DDoS attacks have totally changed the instant I moved to DDoS Defend and haven't come back since. Hard to believe when I had been having DDoS attacks for 3 years straight and the previous had been the biggest attacks thus forcing me to seek a major DDoS solution. After a year of trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that DDoS Defend is one of the best!!! I've not tried Awknet but why try them when DDoS Defend is Awknet + their own customized node?! Not to mention I've tried to get a hold of awknet in the past and they never returned my emails and phone calls.

I can't express enough as to how happy I am with the services DDoS Defend provides. They may not have all the fancy "get a free CDN" or blah blah blah with our service, but they live up to their service they claim! I would much rather have a service that works than one that gives me a bunch of stuff that is rendered useless if my site can't even load a lot of the time.

So take what I say with a grain of salt. If you feel there is a greater amount of evidence saying the other services work better, then use them. If they don't work, then you know I was right and know who to go to after that. Or start with this, be happy and stay with one service the whole way!!!

I hope one day the evidence will be out...

2 and a half months later. Still happy with their services.

Been using their services for 7 months now and couldn't imagine life without them! I no longer have to worry that my DDoS protection is going to fail like I did with the other services. In all of 7 months, I've created 2 support threads; 1 about downtime which ended up not being related to their service, and the other about configuring our server when first ordered the protection.

If you are out to find a budget friendly and superior service, DDoSDefend is for you.

Thanks for the review.

I've been looking for a DDoS protection service for a while now that doesn't have prices in the thousands for simple protection.

I'm going to try and contact DDoS defend for a quote now.

Wish me luck

Just wanted to see if anyone else has any reviews about DDoSDefend.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast