Your New Hosting Competitor - Amazon

Amazon now offers static hosting. So for those who are offering (or planning to) "unlimited" hosting with caveats you might want to think a new model. For all legitimate hosts, this looks to be serious competition. How will you compete...on customer service? What is going to be your differentiator? What do you guys and gals think?

http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2011/02/h...amazon-s3.html
    Last edited by Ceetoe; 02-17-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Unlimited hosts target newbies, with cPanel and sitebuilder.

The target audience will just glaze over and pass out at the sight of "CNAME" and "XML" and "SSH PUBLIC KEY AUTHENTICATION"

(also, disk and transfer costs aren't cheap on aws)

Like you said, it's static only. Plus syntactic sugar on the url and error codes (definite plus). It's primarily useful for those who were already serving from S3 or CDNs and can code their sites appropriately. Custom web 2.0 stuff would fit the bill well but at some point, you still would need to integrate with a DB backend.

The majority of standard hosting users wouldn't even know where to start with it. Probably the first thing to come out will be CDN/file adapters for Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal. That'll alleviate the need for higher end VPS/dedis to serve content and let them concentrate directly on just the DB/PHP stuff.

quantumphysics is right though. Bandwidth is expensive there so you can probably still compete on that alone.

There already are plugins for the major CMSes, cloudfront/S3 has always been used like this, just now you can tick a box to have it load index.html.

It's pretty much going to just be developers and other people already on AWS utilising it, it's not a new 'feature' or 'breakthrough' for the general public or offering a new hosting service

Ya, I didn't say it would take long

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    Ya, I didn't say it would take long
    I mean there have been, for a long time, before the release of this feature
    Really though, it's kinda amusing any time some large company comes out with anything (google app engine, AWS anything, googlepages, etc) "the world is ending"

With the outsourcing of dynamic services such as mail, documents and discussions there is likely to actually be growth in just static hosting. What I actually think we'll see is several new platforms to convert Wordpress blogs to static pages such as Jekyll or similar. By outsourcing the dynamic parts of your website, "security" will be touted as a feature.

Very true that many websites would never be able to use this. But think about how many websites are overbuilt using some kind of CMS when they should have been static in the first place.

What I listed was just the blog release of this. The documents are a little cleaner but as you said initially focused for developers. I would not be surprised to see a clean interface and instructions for "everyone" soon.

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/Am...teHosting.html

I wonder if NearlyFreeSpeech.net will adjust their prices accordingly since they offer a similar service or if they feel their support sets them apart.

Heroku wasn't exactly easy for people to use either having to learn Git but 128,000+ apps (albeit probably a large number of those are on the free plan) running and sold for $212 million indicates there is flexibility in the market. So if your developers are tired of supporting and keeping Wordpress updated I can see them pushing their clients to Amazon.

My interest is the commoditization/commodification of the hosting and the prompting of my question. Even if Amazon's implementatoin of this is difficult for general users, someone can still build an interface directly on this and resell it as their own service. People know Amazon but do they know Acme123 Hosting? Are they to become the lowest common denominator such as GoDaddy for domains...or is this merely GeoCities for the 21st century?
    Last edited by Ceetoe; 02-18-2011 at 12:34 AM.

I know. It'll still take a little bit of retooling for the syntactic sugar. At least for the Drupal side - pick whichever integration module you want - there's some assumptions on how to communicate with the server as well as the url to pass back to the core system. There's also some glue-code to map between buckets/url that are now redundant and could be removed.

But you're right, nothing dramatically has changed. We'll just have one more file system module for the S3-friendly-version to add to our list.

It won't be long before someone builds a service that merely syncs standalone servers over to amazon automagically & uses them for the infrastructure. But sadly the sky isn't falling just yet
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I find there service too complicated to understand due their lengthy text.
    Its not as easy as 1-2-3 and voila I'm online.

I planned of using them before for my backup storage but decided to ignore them as I have no time reading their entire site just to understand their service and costing.

I have no issue utilizing other tools and changing DNS but I rather opt to make quick implementation that will attain the same exact result minus the headache.

So, I do not consider them as new hosting competitor. But that's just me
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.