Question Stable Windows VPS

Searching for very very stable Windows VPS for business critical task. Uptime should be 99.99% (or even better).

Server should not be very powerful, just not bad (CPU: 1-2; RAM 2-4Gb; HDD: 60-100Gb).

Installation from customer uploaded ISO (or at least 2008 R2 SP1 ISO) and remote console should be supported.

European datacenter is preferred.

My budget is 100-150USD/month.
    ----------------------------------------
    Found about of 20 providers, but no good uptime related review or comparison.

Tried to import 2008R2 into AWS with no luck.

You have a pretty reasonable budget for what you're looking for. How many concurrent users will be connected at the same time via RDP? How much BW do you need? Any control panels?

You may want to also check with any potential provider to make sure they're SPLA capable.

I'll have some additional searching advice for you, based on your answers.

Thanks!
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    How many concurrent users will be connected at the same time via RDP?
    No RDP users. This is an application server which talk by HTTPS or direct TCP.

How much BW do you need?
    Not much, 10-20Gb/month. Depends mostly on offsite backup policy, rather than user load.

Any control panels?
    Just remote console with pre-OS access, ability to shutdown/reset (like HP iLO, for instance). No specialized panels for installed software management.

You may want to also check with any potential provider to make sure they're SPLA capable.
    Not actually very important, since this is migration, so I can reuse Windows license (it is not OEM).

Actually, the reason why I said what I said about SPLA, is because that will help you determine who's a legitimate Windows provider and who's not. Granted, SOME providers may just get their licenses directly from the datacenter, so that should be taken into consideration as well. It's just more of a safety net for you to have reassurance that you're dealing with a reputable provider. Granted, someone could lie to you about this, however, at the end of the day, the truth will always come out.

Sounds like you've got a pretty bog standard requirement set.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, however, this should help you narrow your list down a little bit.

Take a peek at the offers forum. Compile a list of 10-12 providers that may interest you. Contact each provider individually with a list of questions (make sure you ask for proof of uptime, if possible). See who responds back to you, not necessarily with how FAST... rather, how DETAILED/HELPFUL they respond back to you as. Obviously, time is a good consideration (be mindful that some companies have set sales hours vs having a 24 hour support team). This should allow you to get your potential candidates list down to 5-6 providers.

Search for reviews on Google, Bing, WHT and other hosting forums (DigitalPoint, HostHideOUt, etc). Get your list brought down to 2-3 providers.

Come on back and ask for reviews on those 2-3 providers and then you should be able to make an informed decision.

You may also want to look at what virtualization technology they use. I can guarantee you that a Virtuozzo platform would not work for what you need (especially the ISO requirement), though a Citrix XenServer or Hyper-V platform should do very well.

You didn't indicate anything about management, however, I'll still tell you (and anyone else who will listen, hahah!) that having a Managed Server is much like having Health Insurance. You may never need it (and if you don't, GREAT!), but it's always nice to know that it's there when you DO need it.

The more research you do in your hosting search, the better of a chance of there beign a successful symbiotic partnership between you and your hosting provider.

Good luck with your search!

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

I'll do just as you said. Thanks!

Guess I should have thrown out a provider for you to look at as well, huh?

While I have not used their MANAGED services, I was a customer for a *very* short time on their unmanaged brand/product line. I'm not sure if they have a Non-Virtuozzo or Windows platform available, so reach out to them via email to check on that. My unmanaged VPS (through http://www.wizzvps.com/) was pretty rock solid for the short time I was with them, and I will be rejoining on a yearly plan soon.

EuroVPS = managed
    EcoVPS (division of EuroVPS) = unmanaged

I've been logged in my Windows VPS via RDP day after day for a couple of weeks now, developing a new site. The hardware is excellent, the network is good, and the only time the VPS goes down is because I reset it.

I think HP iLO only works on the dedicated boxes. On a VPS, you can only reset the VPS. Virtuozzo has a "lights out" sort of access to your VPS node. Access it while it's down.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Look at hetzner.de - They may look cheap first, but Quality is very good - VPS are done with HVM and you can Upload your own ISO.
    "Hurr durr look at dem offers section" (aka read mah signature) - WHT 2015