Sun Cobalt RAQ3I Server HELP!!!

Hi there i am new to sun cobalt servers and i am just wondering if it is possible to install Xammp onto it using the linux version...

Any suggestions please.

The reason i am doing this is because i dont really understand how to run it using the software provided.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc95 View Post
    Hi there i am new to sun cobalt servers and i am just wondering if it is possible to install Xammp onto it using the linux version...

Any suggestions please.

The reason i am doing this is because i dont really understand how to run it using the software provided.

Thanks

I too am extremely new to the Cobalt / BQ world, but as I understand it there is a limited amount of different variations of the software that can be installed, as the Cobalt RAQx line loads/boots with a combo of Rom and HD, not like a regular server.

Is the problem that you are using the software that is already on the machine? If so you might want to do a full restore on the machine using something like BlueQuartz or at least the RaQ 550 upgrade (do a search on how to do this).

If you decide to try one of the upgrades please read a bit first, as it is possible to screw-up the Flash ROM, and at that point the repair will cost more then just getting another RaQ3 or RaQ 4.

I hope this helps some, and feel free to contact me via my web page at c0op3r.com

The Raq software is a more-or-less standard Linux (more on this in a moment) with a custom PHP-driven administration screen. The "ROM" for the Raq is only relevant when booting. If you are willing to login to the system over telnet/ssh, then you can download and configure many software packages.

The caveat is that if you are running the original Sun/Cobalt system, then you are running a very old version of Linux (I don't recall which anymore). There are newer software loads for the servers that run on newer versions of the CentOS variant of the Linux system.

All this having been said, installing XAMPP would probably make the Cobalt admin server fail to run, as it is fairly tightly interwoven with the specific Apache config files that it uses.

If you are looking for a more contemporary software stack, my recommendation is http://www.blueonyx.it/, which runs on CentOS 5.5, PHP5, and MySQL5.
    Want a modern OS for your Raq? Try CentOS+BlueQuartz!
    Use the Strongbolt network installer.