remote reboots on the budget etc.

I am wondering how DCs usually handle remote reboots on the budget? I somehow doubt they are paying the insane high prices APC PowerBars seem to cost (in the vicinity of 350€ for 8ports is imho a ripoff)?

We are getting our own hardware colocated etc. and was wondering for a cost effective way to offer dedicateds I can get hardware for really cheap, but usually they lack iKVM / IPMI so cannot get that stuff via the server itself.

As i see some companies offering dedis (ATOMs etc, so not used/old HW already paid off) even 15€ a mo for a dedi, they can't be paying the list prices for the usual remote reboot capable HW.
    Pulsed Media: Seedbox hosting and Dedicated Servers for content distribution

350€ for 8 ports is only 3€ a month per server over a year. Doesn't seem that much to me...
    Cloud Pixies Ltd. Adding some Pixie magic into the Cloud!

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoC View Post
    350€ for 8 ports is only 3€ a month per server over a year. Doesn't seem that much to me...
    If you target <40€/server SALE, it is quite a big portion. But true, it's not that much over a year.

But whatever that can bring costs down means increased profit margin.

EDIT: Oh and i should add that the cost starts to add up when you otherwise do as cheap as possible 'google style' meaning no cases per server etc.
    EDIT 2: Add that + KVM and you've added ~7€/Mo cost PER server.
    Last edited by NuCode; 02-17-2011 at 10:32 AM.

PidginHost.com - Managed dedicated servers, cloud servers and software development.

thanks I think i'll get an IP Boot Manager for testing, even tho the device seems a bit of hassle to setup

It's not that hard as it seams at the first look
    PidginHost.com - Managed dedicated servers, cloud servers and software development.

Cheaper to equip all servers with remote lights out controllers, drac, lightsout.. ect.

Intergrated KVM and power management.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Alot of these companies selling $15/Month servers aren't making profit soo that's how lots of them afford it! Alternatively I know alot of hosts that get their PDU kit 2nd user/ebay etc..
    UK Dedicated Servers since 2003
    www.ukservers.com - 0800 610 1 620

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Cheaper to equip all servers with remote lights out controllers, drac, lightsout.. ect.

Intergrated KVM and power management.
    Yeah, if you only use brand name servers. But whem you target budget and you see you can save a lot on server build up costs AND offer more CPU power, multiple times ram, more storage and higher density, for same energy budget i think the choice is kind of an obvious one?