Thread: CPU Equal Share

CPU Equal Share

How can you verify if you are indeed getting your "equal" share of pie in VPS? Can this be manipulated by the provider? Most of them just give this information on their website.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    How can you verify if you are indeed getting your "equal" share of pie in VPS? Can this be manipulated by the provider? Most of them just give this information on their website.
    Hi Yujin,

This generally means that all clients have access to all of the CPU, however most providers then have a certain percentage of the CPU that they would class as a "fair share" of the CPU depending on the VPS package that particular client is on. For example a $2 VPS would generally have a lower CPU limit than a $50 VPS in a provider's eyes

Kind Regards,
    Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

If you want to find out how fast your linux VPN CPU is relative to others:

Install bc
    Code:
    aptitude install bc
    Then run this:
    Code:
    time echo "scale=5000; a(1)*4" | bc -l
    The faster it takes to run the better. My fastest vpn is about 29 seconds. Typical is mid 30's. An Amazon EC2 I tried was 52 seconds - not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Flappysocks View Post
    If you want to find out how fast your linux VPN CPU is relative to others:

Install bc
    Code:
    aptitude install bc
    Then run this:
    Code:
    time echo "scale=5000; a(1)*4" | bc -l
    The faster it takes to run the better. My fastest vpn is about 29 seconds. Typical is mid 30's. An Amazon EC2 I tried was 52 seconds - not good.
    Thanks pal for this info
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

It's mostly accessing a a fair amount of the CPU, or even all, where the CPU is shared among the same type of clients(All $5 VPS)... however take into account that not only CPU can slow performance. Disk I/O is very important too.
    Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    CS Student, Geek, Software Engineer, Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    If your host uses the DTC panel you'll have a nice graph showing the cpu usage of yours and over vps.
    It's just called "My VPS vs. others" and is a really cool thing for seeing if your provider overcommits badly, or there's just some other using abusing his VPS (if not kept at bay by ressource limiting).

I've attached a pic from my admin view, it's show for each vps customer. Where it says 'nan' the counters are b0rked, thats why it's not orderable yet hehe.

If you look at the spike for xen03, thats from running the scale=5000 ... | bc command from the thread
    So in this example my VPS was being the abusive one, but overall load shows it didn't have much impact - it only ran on one core.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dtc_vps_usage.JPG  
    Last edited by wartungsfenster; 02-17-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks guys for sharing this information.