Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Some cashier clown chases a shoplifter out in the parking lot and shoplifter gets hit by a car or cashier does then Wal-Mart has liability from an ambulance chasing lawyer. A story kinda similar happened here where a man was beating his girlfriend / wife / ex and the maintenance man who lived on the property in the apartment complex confronted the man with a shotgun. Next day, he got fired for having a weapon even thought State of Florida law clearly allowed the maintenance man to fire his weapon, wound or kill the perpetrator and have it be justifiable self-defense because he used his weapon in defense of someone who was having a violent felony committed against them.

It's just employers and owners are scared of ambulance chasing lawyers who file frivolous lawsuits. Remember the McDonalds coffee case where the coffee was "too hot" and it spilled on the person's lap in the drive-thru?

Quote Originally Posted by bsdvps View Post
    Some cashier clown chases a shoplifter out in the parking lot and shoplifter gets hit by a car or cashier does then Wal-Mart has liability from an ambulance chasing lawyer. A story kinda similar happened here where a man was beating his girlfriend / wife / ex and the maintenance man who lived on the property in the apartment complex confronted the man with a shotgun. Next day, he got fired for having a weapon even thought State of Florida law clearly allowed the maintenance man to fire his weapon, wound or kill the perpetrator and have it be justifiable self-defense because he used his weapon in defense of someone who was having a violent felony committed against them.

It's just employers and owners are scared of ambulance chasing lawyers who file frivolous lawsuits. Remember the McDonalds coffee case where the coffee was "too hot" and it spilled on the person's lap in the drive-thru?
    The person who sued McDonalds because of the coffee didn't deserve a penny. Absolutely ridiculous. How would you expect coffee to be served, cold?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    There have definitely been lawsuits of this nature.

Castle Doctrine
    exists to prevent these types of law suits so if it happened then it happened in a state without Castle Doctrine, like Iowa where I'm a carry permit holder, or it was before that state adopted Castle Doctrine. Thankfully IFC is working to get one pushed through after a wonderful job they did moving us to a shall issue state.

The person who sued McDonalds because of the coffee didn't deserve a penny. Absolutely ridiculous. How would you expect coffee to be served, cold?
    The coffee caused a ridiculous degree of burns to the victim, including on the genitals, and thighs. McDonalds had prior information that the coffee was too hot, and employee testimonials that the coffee needed to be absurdly hot (something like 175 F). She was awarded $640,000 in compensation---though the jury wanted to award more. Originally she appealed for McDonalds to cover $20,000.

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[12] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her down to 83 pounds.[13] Two years of medical treatment followed.
    Hardly frivolous in my opinion.

Also, regarding Wal*Mart, I agree this is too harsh. I find it odd the took this action, because my friend and his brother worked LP at Wal*Mart for quite awhile, and used to literally tackle and handcuff shoplifters frequently. Though they would disengage if weapons were pulled (a hatchet, and tire iron once)...
    Last edited by PlayHost; 02-20-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

There have definitely been lawsuits of this nature.
    Do you have any examples? I've searched the web and could not find any real lawsuits only hoaxs or unverified stories without real case numbers. If you find any, let me know, I would definitely be interested in reading about it.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Do you have any examples? I've searched the web and could not find any real lawsuits only hoaxs or unverified stories without real case numbers. If you find any, let me know, I would definitely be interested in reading about it.
    Man falls through a skylight and lands on a kitchen counter or something that injured him due to something being on it.

Another man breaks into a house through a window and while crawling in, cuts his arm deeply with a finishing nail that was not nailed into the trim, then days later sues the homeowner for negligence because it damaged the nerves in his arm.

Quote Originally Posted by bsdvps View Post
    Man falls through a skylight and lands on a kitchen counter or something that injured him due to something being on it.

Another man breaks into a house through a window and while crawling in, cuts his arm deeply with a finishing nail that was not nailed into the trim, then days later sues the homeowner for negligence because it damaged the nerves in his arm.
    I'm pretty sure those aren't real cases, the one about the man falling through the skylight is an internet hoax that's been circulating the internet for awhile.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

What ever happened to being sure and unsure. I know a local case where a homeowner shot a burglar and some ambulance chasing lawyer filed a case

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12