Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time For A New Host

My reseller account is up for renewal in a month or so, and I have to move away from my present host. We're not compatible. I had decided on HostGator as I'm really tired of dealing with micro-sized companies. When I went to the site, I saw that their "Aluminum" reseller package is $19.96* per month. The asterisk means that only the first month is $19.96. It's $24.95 after that. That seems gimmicky to me, so I'm going to keep looking.

25GB space, 500GB bandwidth is what I now have, and I don't use it very much at all. I have 2 or 3 paid accounts, and the rest are family and friends. None of the sites is an ecommerce site.

The problem is, I'm not a hosting guru. I have to ask a lot of questions even though I've had a reseller account for at least 10 years. Hosting is not my business.

I'll be reading through posts here to find who to avoid, but I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has considered HostGator's Aluminum reseller package but gone elsewhere for a good reason. HostGator didn't even offer a discount for paying a year in advance.

I had HostGator and still recommend them but if you want cheaper go to Arvixe, they are very good too and they'll give you 50GB for $20.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

What is your budget? Do you have any location preference? What would you say you require in terms of space and bandwidth?

Hiya!

What kind of control panel are you used to? cPanel? What is your budget? Space and bandwidth requirements?

Once we know this information we can assist you better.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

The package I mentioned in my first post if sufficient. I'm used to cPanel. As far as budget, it's important, but it's secondary. A good host is primary. A good host with lower cost gets the business. By the way, when I get a recommendation and go to a website, one of the first things I look for is a street address. I'm sure you know why.
    Last edited by neumannu47; 02-16-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neumannu47 View Post
    The package I mentioned in my first post if sufficient. I'm used to cPanel. As far as budget, it's important, but it's secondary. A good host is primary. A good host with lower cost gets the business. By the way, when I get a recommendation and go to a website, one of the first things I look for is a street address. I'm sure you know why.
    Just so you know, most hosting companies would probably not put their address on their website, but will provide it if contacted.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Oh yeah always host to someone who reveal their biz information and that includes the address. Stay away to those hiding these information. No address means No business.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

I'm getting some good suggestions, here and on Twitter. My three top candidates at the moment are HostGator, Arvixe, and A2Hosting. Please don't send me pitches by PM. If you want to pitch your company, do it here for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Just so you know, most hosting companies would probably not put their address on their website, but will provide it if contacted.

- Daniel
    Why would ANY legitimate company actively conceal it's physical location? I can only think of a couple of reasons. Neither one is good. Maybe I'm overlooking something. Please enlighten me.

I'm getting some good suggestions, here and on Twitter. My three top candidates at the moment are HostGator, Arvixe, and A2Hosting. Please don't send me pitches by PM. If you want to pitch your company, do it here for all to see.
    If anybody has pitched to you by PM have you reported them to the moderators?
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting

Please use this link to let us know who PMed you: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=7287425

Providers are not allowed to also promote their own service in the main forums.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

No one has directly solicited me by PM. I've had a couple of offers of help, but it's easy to see that the offers are from host. They're smart enough not to cross the line, so there is no need for me to report them. They did not break any rules.

My point is, there is no reason to PM me over this very public question. I and others will benefit from the public discussion.

Hehehe...get used it to it that's how they whisper "I can be your host"
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

I know. That's why I said, "No PMs".

Who are you currently hosting with and can you explain by what you mean when you say you and your current web host are not compatible?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Who are you currently hosting with and can you explain by what you mean when you say you and your current web host are not compatible?
    I intentionally have not posted my hosting company's name and will not do so for now. It's probably a personality conflict. It happens.

My reseller account is up for renewal in a month or so, and I have to move away from my present host. We're not compatible. I had decided on HostGator as I'm really tired of dealing with micro-sized companies. When I went to the site, I saw that their "Aluminum" reseller package is $19.96* per month. The asterisk means that only the first month is $19.96. It's $24.95 after that. That seems gimmicky to me, so I'm going to keep looking.

25GB space, 500GB bandwidth is what I now have, and I don't use it very much at all. I have 2 or 3 paid accounts, and the rest are family and friends. None of the sites is an ecommerce site.

The problem is, I'm not a hosting guru. I have to ask a lot of questions even though I've had a reseller account for at least 10 years. Hosting is not my business.

I'll be reading through posts here to find who to avoid, but I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has considered HostGator's Aluminum reseller package but gone elsewhere for a good reason. HostGator didn't even offer a discount for paying a year in advance.
    if you have very less space requirments then go for a smallest plan then.

A couple of years ago when I needed to find different reseller hosting I considered HostGator, though I don't recall which package.

I've been with both mico and mega reseller hosts over the years and I'm probably an intermediate level user on the back end.

Some of the larger companies I've hosted with are: JaguarPC, CirtexHosting & BlueHost. The a few smaller companies, most of which are history.

I've been dissatisfied with larger companies for a variety of reasons; from overselling and outages to having all of my sites hacked to just plain incompetent tech support which was compounded with communication issues.

A couple of years ago I was looking through offerings here on WHT and found http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ght=hetrixbyte.

My experience has been most excellent and stress free. I've found service to be competent and professional. Response time is excellent, too, for both communication and issue resolution. Issues, by the way, of my making.

The speed of the servers is very good. Downtime has been negligible, even when we were moved to upgraded servers. Security has also been very good.

The packages were priced right and the 30 day money-back guarantee enticed me to give them a shot. I've never regretted my decision.

Thanks for the HetrixByte recommendation. I checked them out, and their prices are certainly attractive. However, there is no physical address. That alone is now a deal breaker. In fact, the only location information I could find is that they are located in the State of Chicago.

From their Terms of Service:

The Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Chicago, exclusive of its choice of law principles, and the laws of the United States of America, as applicable.
    The other problem is that their uptime guarantee is only 99%. Do you realize that is 88 hours per year? I thought it might by a typographical error.

Personally I'd go with a larger host. Some are bad, but not all. HostGator and Arvixe are as good as any host I've ever had.

The other problem is that their uptime guarantee is only 99%. Do you realize that is 88 hours per year? I thought it might by a typographical error.
    what does that 88 hours means?

Quote Originally Posted by no69_2007 View Post
    Assuming you're serious, it means that your site can be down 88 hours per year before the company is in breach of its contract.

Quote Originally Posted by no69_2007 View Post
    I think it means that 1% down time over the course of 365 days is equivalent to 88 hours.

Being down 88 hrs with some of the hosts I've used would have been a blessing. An earth quake can wipe out the NOC in an instant so guaranteeing 100% up time seems unrealistic.

I understand the reluctance to use a business that does not list a physical address. I capture addressing during the payment process but that's not satisfactory for everyone.

I agree, there are some good large hosts to work with, it's been my bad luck not to have found one. I hope you find the perfect solution to your hosting needs soon.

In my opinion, shortlist hosts that offer money back guarantee so you can check their speed and services freely. Also test their customer services response before finalizing.

And since you are not much concerned about budget, so do this checking calmly.

Hello,

HetrixByte.COM here, with the input on the uptime matter mentioned above.

Here's the uptime stats for 2009, 2010 and 2011:
    99.99%
    4 min(s) 56 sec(s)

99.94%
    4 hour(s) 41 min(s)

99.03%
    3 day(s) 6 hour(s)

We only wrote 99% guaranteed because back in 2009 we've had an unfortunate incident with an old Data Center (won't mention the name since there is no need for bad publicity) that lead to our servers being down for 3 days (a whole weekend, because their department wasn't working on that weekend apparently), yes that long. Of course after that we moved our business elsewhere. Since that incident we only had above 99.9% uptime, but couldn't post it as that on our site since that would be lying to our clients.

I hope that clears things a bit.

Have a nice day!
    Uptime Monitor - Build client trust by displaying your Uptime Status in a professional and fully personalized manner

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients

[HB]Andrew, I'm not saying you're not a good hosting company. A guarantee generally refers to the service that you are GOING to provide. That is, if you guarantee 99.9% up time, and if you don't meet it, you are in breach.

Very few hosts meet their guaranteed up times anyway, including my own, so the guarantee is not worth very much. What's a customer's remedy if the host doesn't deliver? Move? They can do that anyway.

You might want to edit your Terms of Service, as mentioned above, and add your physical address on your website for old fogies like me who insist on knowing to whom we're sending money.

Yes, I understand what you meant, I was just pointing out the reason why we don't say we guarantee 99.9% and instead say we guarantee 99%.

Thanks for your input.
    Bye.
    Uptime Monitor - Build client trust by displaying your Uptime Status in a professional and fully personalized manner

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients

i think you can find an unlimited reseller plan at that price

Go big.
    The bigger/more well known the company, the more recommended, and the better rated the better.
    I have learned that you ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Stay AWAY from A2hosting if you value all that is good & holy. Persistent, agonizing email issues and god-awful service.

I can only recommend the one host I've never switched from which is mediatemple: you get what you pay for.

After looking and after so many recommendations there seems to be no resolution to this, how about now I put my 2 cents in here?

A lot of times many people recommend bigger hosts without the thought that if we all only support the bigger companies, then we'll be left with no other companies in the world to compete with them. Like for example Microsoft. Give the smaller host a chance to grow.

My suggestion to the OP is that you should try any host that you like if they have a Money Back Guarantee. It's simple cause if they have bad service, then don't even bother to stick with them and just ask for your money back.

As I always tell my clients, if you're not satisfied with our service or if you're unhappy at all, do tell us about it so that we could improve but if we made you so angry at us that you need to leave you are also welcome to do so. Lucky for me, most of the clients who does give us feedback will stick with us and giving us another chance to improve.

But with all said, it's up to you to look around and decide. But I'd totally advice to go with the smaller ones. They are just trying to survive in this harsh world of Web Hosting.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

While I completely agree that supporting smaller hosts is a good practice, the unfortunate reality is that very often they have a tough time just keeping up with basic customer service needs, let alone offering any kind of guarantee of hosting quality & features. It's not just about setting up shop with some whiz-bang servers and an 800 number.

Some of the larger web hosts are just as guilty of this--for altogether different reasons--godaddy being one of the worst.

But I can say the same for A2hosting which, on the surface, looked like a nice, small, eco-conscious web host. The truth is they simply couldn't handle what they got themselves into; they bit off far more than they could chew and it showed within months. I had some very irate clients and I won't be doing that again. (And I'm sure A2hosting is not the only small web host to paint itself into a corner.)

So my recommendation is now Mediatemple; they're not 100% good, but they're 98% good and I have 8 years with them to back this up. Again, you get what you pay for.

Thank you for sticking with us and the awesome recommendations. We'll keep working hard to get things up to five 9s for you in the future. =)
    Media Temple Customer Support
    Webhosting @ http://mediatemple.net

Actually I was going with Semoweb, but they don't have any servers available in the US.
    They have servers in Florida. Most likely HostDime Datacenter.

Edit: they offer USA servers, not USA Reseller accounts. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post

They offer USA Reseller accounts, but they're sold out until they add another server or lose an account.

They offer USA Reseller accounts, but they're sold out until they add another server or lose an account.
    Oh ok, well I suggest signing up with HostDime. I had a USA Reseller account and USA VPS server with them sometime ago and thought their support was very good, and I didn't notice any issues with server performance or anything like that.

Yes, you can probably get better deals from other hosts, it's just having the time find the reliable ones. If you don't have the time to do that, which it sounds like you don't, it would probably be best to just go with a with a provider that has good rep in the first place like HostDime, well for USA hosting anyway.
    Last edited by HostXNow_Chris; 05-04-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Oh ok, well I suggest signing up with HostDime. I had a USA Reseller account and USA VPS server with them sometime ago and though their support was very good, and I didn't notice any issues with server performance or anything like that.

Yes, you can probably get better deals from other hosts, it's just having the time find the reliable ones. If you don't have the time to do that, which it sounds like you don't, it would probably be best to just go with a go with a provider that has good rep in the first place like HostDime, well for USA hosting anyway.
    Thanks HostXNow for the recommendation, we appreciate your feedback.

We actually have several locations USA being Orlando Florida which is indeed with HostDime how ever at this current time it is sold out. We also have UK which is available which is also from HostDime and Dallas Texas which is with Limestone which is also sold out. We need to restock our US

We have used Hostdime services for quite a while now and have enjoyed their support thus far. Definitely a great company.

I would suggest Admo[dot]net

Been around since the 90's and low profile type of company but still in good respect and rep. Not as big however as HostGator but none the less a quality company with good things.

If not them, I don't really know of anyone else with a long term hosting company other then the ones who are top notch name branded. I'm so out of the loop. Sorry if I'm of no help. Good luck to you though.

And Pm messages are "BAD!" *holds of a cross*
    ██ J.Mike Duff -http://www.cheetahhost.net
    ██ Dedicated/Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting
    ██ Web Hosting, Money Back Guarantee! 100% Uptime Guaranteed! 24x7 online Support.
    ██ Gone Green 100% Powered Source CheetahHost LLC.,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast