Offering Free Stuff

Hello,

I'd like to know what people think about offering free stuff. Examples: Domains,cPanel,cPanel addons,ect. Does it push you to purchase hosting?

What do you offer to your clients? Do they have to pay a certain time or have a certain plan?

Also I'm seeking thoughts on below offers

Shared Hosting
    Free Domain (Paid 6months/1year)- Top Plan

VPS Hosting
    Free Domain (Paid 6months/1year)- All plans
    Free GEOtrust RapidSSL (Included with Domain)- All Plans
    Free Varnish - (Anytime frame) Top Plan
    Get WHMCS/HostBill/ClientExec For $9.95 - Mid/Top plan

Dedicated Hosting
    Free Domain (My question is it really needed?)(Any time) - All plans
    Free GEOtrust RapidSSL (Included with domain) All plans
    Free Varnish - (Anytime frame) Mid/Top Plan
    Free cPanel - (Anytime frame) - Mid/Top plan

I think it definitely helps. Sometimes, the smallest things could push a potential customer towards you vs others. I've been tinkering with the idea of a free domain if they prepay for a year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    I think it definitely helps. Sometimes, the smallest things could push a potential customer towards you vs others. I've been tinkering with the idea of a free domain if they prepay for a year as well.
    Well I think it's a good move but on our dedicated offers is it really needed? they should already have a domain and everything.

Generally, I think consumers shopping for dedicated do not need a free domain, nor will they see the value. So I would say no for dedicated.

I think free domains are attractive for shared hosting as their target audience are mostly people who are new to the hosting scene and could use a free domain.

I wouldn't offer a free domain with dedicated servers either. These are people with much larger requirements and much more web hosting knowledge. The little perks won't win them over like the people who need shared.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

I don't want customers that are attracted by free stuff. Customers who want freebies are probably not going to want your management plan, 2nd backup location, etc, etc. Focus on providing amazing service to your clients at a nice profit.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    I don't want customers that are attracted by free stuff.
    ^ Good point. Could drawn in the wrong type of customers. Still as long as they are paying there shouldn't be a problem. It is when they start asking for discounts on top of discounts.

Sound good. However you do not need customers who come because the free stuff, don't you. So the free offerings should be only a bonus to the service. However I don't know what to suggest to help you to underline your advantages. This is something you should know better than others.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Maybe offer the free-domain as like a renewal option for a years service, or on a limited-time promotion?

I can see the SSL, and cPanel as big incentives though to sign up.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkar P View Post
    Maybe offer the free-domain as like a renewal option for a years service, or on a limited-time promotion?

I can see the SSL, and cPanel as big incentives though to sign up.
    to you. I really like the idea about the free-domain as a renewal! Really a good idea. Would have never thought of this. Also we did think about the promotions and we've already touched base on this area . Gonna have to bring this up in the next meeting.