some basic VPS questions.. (another newbie in town)

Hi

after using shared hosting for years, I am trying to move to VPS. We ordered managed VPS with WHM/cpanel from a well known provider. Once the VPS was ready, I logged into the WHM and just entered/clicked on default stuff as I had no idea what everything was. (i need to learn alot)...i selected Pure-FTPD for FTP server and Dovecot for mail coz they use less memory (don't know if they really use less memory but it was mentioned there) but didn't enable cPHulk. I also enabled users quotas. Some other mistakes I did are
    - entered wrong hostname
    - entered wrong nameservers

you all have all the reason to be mad, but please pardon me this time..

Now I entered the WHM and after spending some time looking here and there, at-last found the place to change the hostname. I changed the hostname in the WHM and also changed it within the control panel for the VPS provided by the VPS provider. The host name I entered @ both place is server.mydomain.com. well obviously I haven't used "mydomain" but one of my valid domain. I also added A record with the domain registrar (goDaddy in this case). Once the A record was created I waited for some time and pinged the hostname and its resolving to the new VPS. so I think its working fine.

Next I started checking the WHM, going here and there to get familiar with it. I clicked on "EasyApache (Apache Update)" and selected following options
    apache 2.2, php 5.3.4, enabld suphp and EAccelerator. also added mysqli, gd in php extensions.

Thats all I have done so far. now questions time

1. The VPS has 2 IPs. Though I don't plan to resell hosting on the VPS, but I will be moving mine sites as well as some friends & family sites to the VPS, so I will be creating separate cpanel/whm users. I also want them to be able to add/edit their domains on the VPS. I am also going to add/edit my domains so what type of accounts should I create for and for me?
    2. how can I fix the nameservers.
    3. do I need cPhulk
    4. what other essential settings I need to secure the VPS?

1. You could just create an account for yourself and a separate account for each individual. As long as you set your package to be able to add on domains, they can simply add on domains to their account through their own cPanel.

2. Make sure you've registered the nameservers through your registrar.

3. I have it on.

4. I would recommend at least installing CSF/LFD. It's pretty simple to get running and it'll provide a nice GUI within WHM for you to change settings.

Just also would like to point out that eAccelerator does not work with suPHP. You need either mod_php (DSO) or FastCGI.

1- The 2 IPs are going to be used for your new nameservers, set them editing the DNS zone of the domain and adding two NS and A records
    2- Edit the DNS zone through WHM, and also register the nameservers
    3- Not really, you can use something like CSF firewall that will do the same work
    4- install CSF and also mod_security and suhosin, the last two can be installed when you run easyapache. CSF can be downloaded from http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

After install CSF be sure of set it correctly, there's a button on where you can run a quick security check too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I created a package "mater_package" with "unlimited" settings for everything. Now when I attempt to create an account, following error appear
    "Missing SCRIPTALIAS Config Line in /etc/wwwacct.conf, please reconfigure with Edit Setup."

2ndly when I go to Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup
    and under nameserves I enter "ns1.mydomain.tld" in nameserver 1 and click on "assign ip address" for each, it says

Assigning IP address for ns1.mydomain.tld... ...Done Sorry, you are out of IPs to assign as nameservers.

same happens for nameserver 2. so is there a way I cah check if the nameservers are configured properly before I mess with the domain registrar settings and break the site.
    Last edited by Quartz; 02-17-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    Just also would like to point out that eAccelerator does not work with suPHP. You need either mod_php (DSO) or FastCGI.
    I rebuilded the apache and removed suPHP, and added FastCGI. But tbh, I am not sure which apache mods and php extensions do I really need.

and how can I install CSF/LFD?

Quote Originally Posted by fqaisrani View Post
    and how can I install CSF/LFD?
    http://www.configserver.com/free/csf/install.txt

I created a package "mater_package" with "unlimited" settings for everything. Now when I attempt to create an account, following error appear
    "Missing SCRIPTALIAS Config Line in /etc/wwwacct.conf, please reconfigure with Edit Setup."
    Doing some research on this, it looks like you just need the line "SCRIPTALIAS" in the /etc/wwwacct.conf file.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...dvancedOptions

Scroll to the bottom for details about the /etc/wwwacct.conf file.

2ndly when I go to Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup
    and under nameserves I enter "ns1.mydomain.tld" in nameserver 1 and click on "assign ip address" for each, it says

Assigning IP address for ns1.mydomain.tld... ...Done Sorry, you are out of IPs to assign as nameservers.

same happens for nameserver 2. so is there a way I cah check if the nameservers are configured properly before I mess with the domain registrar settings and break the site.
    Silly question, but you didn't leave the field where you enter the IP blank, correct? You've entered an IP for each?

When you go to "IP functions" > "Show or Delete Current IP Addresses" in WHM, does it show all of your IPs?

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    Doing some research on this, it looks like you just need the line "SCRIPTALIAS" in the /etc/wwwacct.conf file.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...dvancedOptions

Scroll to the bottom for details about the /etc/wwwacct.conf file.

Silly question, but you didn't leave the field where you enter the IP blank, correct? You've entered an IP for each?

When you go to "IP functions" > "Show or Delete Current IP Addresses" in WHM, does it show all of your IPs?
    fixed the SCRIPTALIAS issue

under "IP functions" > "Show or Delete Current IP Addresses" it shows both IPs and shows them active. but how can I check/confirm that the nameservers are properly assigned/working.

thanks for the help

Looks like you are on your way! Welcome to the VPS world

thanks BMSmithVB

folks I got some more questions.

1. Is there any cpanel or WHM free addon/script available which creates a full backup and FTP it on another server?

2. I want to install a SVN server on the VPS. The SVN server/repositories will stay separate from web root, but I want an option to publish these repositories into web root.

ideas and suggestions are welcome.

I also installed the csf and when I run
    perl /etc/csf/csftest.pl
    the output is

Testing ip_tables/iptable_filter...OK
    Testing ipt_LOG...OK
    Testing ipt_multiport/xt_multiport...OK
    Testing ipt_REJECT...OK
    Testing ipt_state/xt_state...OK
    Testing ipt_limit/xt_limit...OK
    Testing ipt_recent...OK
    Testing ipt_owner/xt_owner...FAILED [Error: iptables: Unknown error 18446744073709551615] - Required for SMTP_BLOCK and UID/GID blocking features
    Testing iptable_nat/ipt_REDIRECT...FAILED [Error: iptables: Unknown error 18446744073709551615] - Required for MESSENGER feature

RESULT: csf will function on this server but some features will not work due to some missing iptables modules [2]

anything I should worried about??