Resources for sending 1mil emails/day

First I apologize if I did not placed the topic in the right forum. Please move it if so.

I need to get a new host for my upcoming project - basically it's gonna be a safelist-like wordpress plugin. I need hosting for the demo-test site which will be fully functional and commercial, so it has to run flawless.

Please don't start any debate around the safelist and weather or not those emails are spam - they're not, all emails are double opt-ins fully compliant to CAN-Spam act.

My question is - how much RAM/processing power do I need to send let's say 1M(1.000.000) emails/day and maybe more? Will I require a dedicated server or I can manage with VPS - at least for start?

I am aware that are other factors involved but I only want to know what would be the bare necessities for the emailing part.

Thanks in advance,
    Clau

RAM wouldn't be an issue, processing power would be a secondary factor, however the likely issue you may have is with the software used to send the emails. Such software would need to be sending out using multiple parallel threads as there are only 86400 seconds per day, which means you need to be sending ~12 emails per second on average to send 1 million per day.

Quote Originally Posted by awery13 View Post
    First I apologize if I did not placed the topic in the right forum. Please move it if so.

I need to get a new host for my upcoming project - basically it's gonna be a safelist-like wordpress plugin. I need hosting for the demo-test site which will be fully functional and commercial, so it has to run flawless.

Please don't start any debate around the safelist and weather or not those emails are spam - they're not, all emails are double opt-ins fully compliant to CAN-Spam act.

My question is - how much RAM/processing power do I need to send let's say 1M(1.000.000) emails/day and maybe more? Will I require a dedicated server or I can manage with VPS - at least for start?

I am aware that are other factors involved but I only want to know what would be the bare necessities for the emailing part.

Thanks in advance,
    Clau
    I wish I had some real life experience with that, because it's just interesting for the scalability issues you might find

On the one hand, thats just 11mails per second.
    If your software choices are not written by total beginners (exchange?) you can handle with any reasonably powerful server.

I wouldn't even try with a VPS, rather a dedicated server with ram, one ssd, and spend a lot of time disabling logging and putting some of the stuff on ramdisks or ssd.

Or could you scale out, to use multiple outgoing servers?
    That might be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by prickett233 View Post
    RAM wouldn't be an issue, processing power would be a secondary factor, however the likely issue you may have is with the software used to send the emails. Such software would need to be sending out using multiple parallel threads as there are only 86400 seconds per day, which means you need to be sending ~12 emails per second on average to send 1 million per day.
    Thanks for your answer. Actually there are scripts out there capable of much more. And my programmer/developer insures me is not an issue. I am still puzzled by requirements though as I checked many safelists and by their provider not all are hosted on dedicated, some are on VPS, even ones not so powerful...

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    I wish I had some real life experience with that, because it's just interesting for the scalability issues you might find

On the one hand, thats just 11mails per second.
    If your software choices are not written by total beginners (exchange?) you can handle with any reasonably powerful server.

I wouldn't even try with a VPS, rather a dedicated server with ram, one ssd, and spend a lot of time disabling logging and putting some of the stuff on ramdisks or ssd.

Or could you scale out, to use multiple outgoing servers?
    That might be very helpful.
    Thanks for your reply. I mentioned above, my programmer/developer seems to think the same about emails/sec. Actually I want much more but we'll see about that.

I am planning to use VPS only for the initial testing then I wan to move to a final solution. I do need to establish some basic requirements so I can recommend to my clients a proper hosting solution for their needs. Unfortunately I don't have a deep knowledge on hosting issues(I am fairly informed and can accomplish what I need but I'm not skilled with setting up advanced stuff) so I will use fully managed solutions.

As for scaling up, interesting point as I just stumbled upon some cloud hosting services - VPS.net that is intriguing. I will probably get by cheaper than with a dedi and have far more better scalability. I just don't know about their take on managed part, didn't had time to contact them yet...

Thank you again for your points, really helpful