Is there a difference between guaranteed ram and dedicated ram?

Just wondering if there's a difference between guaranteed ram and dedicated ram because my host has convinced me to stay on his VPS because he has dedicated ram and it is supposedly better than guaranteed.

How did he convince you without explaining the difference?

I personally dont know.
    I can only assume that dedicated ram wont be used by any other customer and guaranteed ram could be reallocated to other customers as and when they need it also.

Would be interesting to find out..
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Yes he did give me a short explanation, but I wanted to hear the community's ideas. I am not 100% going to stay on the host, so I guess I shouldn't have said he "convinced" me, but its more like he persuaded me a little bit more.

Both are same in my opinion.

Still worth a further check.

I believe so, both are the same.

Guaranteed ram is something that only exists in OpenVZ (and technically in Virtuozzo in the unlikely event that the host isn't using SLM memory management). It's essentially worthless - it guarantees you nothing. Burst memory in OpenVZ is the crucial limiting factor on your memory usage and depending on how that's set up, and the nature of the processes your VPS is running, you might end up being able to use much more or much less memory than you were "guaranteed".

Dedicated ram is a term usually applied to Xen or KVM VPSs, which act much more like real servers. If that's the case here then there's a good chance that it would indeed be real memory that your VPS can use.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Guaranteed ram is something with it like a dedicated RAM

burstable ram is not dedicated. You may get it or may not depending on the consumption of the ram by other vps on node
    Hillock Hosting
    Unlimited Hosting Solution
    Reliable Shared | Reseller| VPS Hosting Services

"guranteed ram" is basically worthless. It's ram your applications are allowed to allocate. Applications allocate ram that they don't actually use all the time, so "real" memory you can actually use will be much lower than the "guaranteed" ram level. Burst memory is much more important, because to actually use 1gb of ram on openvz, you probably need 2gb of "burst", because your applications will allocate much more memory than they're actually using.

In xen, you have dedicated ram. This is real ram you can actually use, like on a dedicated server.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillockhosting View Post
    Guaranteed ram is something with it like a dedicated RAM
    Just like what Chris has mentioned - on OpenVZ guaranteed ram guarantees you nothing. So no, it's not like a dedicated RAM.

Unless the host actually defines the difference for you, to me, it sounds like the same thing.
    Tin Pham
    Solutions Engineer
    WP Engine - WordPress Hosting, Perfected.

Dedicated would be "set aside" for only your use where as "guaranteed" means that it's going to be there if you need it, but others can use it too.

With dedicated ram it's not possible for it to not be available where as with guaranteed ram, in the event of poor system management, it can actually be used up by others when you need to use it.

"Guaranteed" isn't the best way to describe the ram in an OpenVZ environment but that's probably a topic for another discussion.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Guaranteed RAM is not a limit, but it has only limited availability for your VPS. Whereas Dedicated RAM as in rams that the graphic card has exclusive access to all the times.

foobic and funkywizard explained it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    "guranteed ram" is basically worthless. It's ram your applications are allowed to allocate. Applications allocate ram that they don't actually use all the time, so "real" memory you can actually use will be much lower than the "guaranteed" ram level. Burst memory is much more important, because to actually use 1gb of ram on openvz, you probably need 2gb of "burst", because your applications will allocate much more memory than they're actually using.

In xen, you have dedicated ram. This is real ram you can actually use, like on a dedicated server.
    About right, that is what I was posting on these forums for months but I rarely got through to people about guaranteed RAM without burst. Guaranteed RAM without burstable is worthless as he said. There are clients on OpenVZ that use 1GB of "allocated" (privvmpages) ram, and only are actually using 300-400MB. On the other hand we have clients allocating 1GB that are actually using closer to 800MB so it all depends on what you are running.

If your host is using OpenVZ, unless they have developed their own system, which I doubt, your RAM isn't dedicated. Although (for example if you have 512MB RAM) and you can find a reliable host that offers OpenVZ with 512MB Guaranteed, 1GB Burst it will probably be just as good as a Xen server with 512MB Dedicated RAM. You just want to avoid hosts who offer 512MB guaranteed without burst.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceTan View Post
    Just wondering if there's a difference between guaranteed ram and dedicated ram because my host has convinced me to stay on his VPS because he has dedicated ram and it is supposedly better than guaranteed.
    What VPS is virtualized under....?
    I think this is what people interested to know.

Guaranteed RAM always link with OpenVZ and dedicated ram always link to other virtualization technology such as Xen.

However, most of the time this will give confusion to people on its correct definations.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    Guaranteed RAM is not a limit, but it has only limited availability for your VPS. Whereas Dedicated RAM as in rams that the graphic card has exclusive access to all the times.
    I can assure you my VPS has an unlimited supply of RAM for the graphics card.