Test website best method?

I have a VPS with cpanel installed.

I use the VPS to host a friend and my websites only and I build some websites for others but they are not hosted on this server.

Currently I create a new folder under one of my websites and test/demo the sites there but I was wondering if there is a better way.

I know I can create a subdomain like test.mysite.com which would work but can I use say the server IP address in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by poxyusernames View Post
    I have a VPS with cpanel installed.

I use the VPS to host a friend and my websites only and I build some websites for others but they are not hosted on this server.

Currently I create a new folder under one of my websites and test/demo the sites there but I was wondering if there is a better way.

I know I can create a subdomain like test.mysite.com which would work but can I use say the server IP address in some way?
    You could always create the test websites as their own account in WebHostManager and then use a temporary URL, such as:

http://yourip/~username/

Replace 'yourip' with the IP of the VPS and 'username' with the username of the account you create.
    * GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated
    * Powered by Geeks... and SSD's! - You're in good hands, geek hands.
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

Well if you have WHM installed, you can make a test account for your new site. That way you will have your own cPanel for the test site. You will then be able to access it via http://serverIP/~username

Edit: JayH beat me to it by seconds. But same thing.
    NewYorkCityServers.com - Specializing In Dedicated Servers and Financial Hosting
    True Enterprise Service, Tier 3 Manhattan Datacenter, 100+ Gbps Network, 100% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7 Support - Email, Tickets, Phone and Live Chat
    Bandwidth Graphs, Remote Power Control, Automated OS Re-installs, Secured IPMI+KVM Included With Every Server

Thanks for the very quick replies and I will give it a go tomorrow.

I know I had problems setting up websites/accounts without DNS settings but there must be a way around it and I will let you know how I get on.

"Allow Remote Domains

This item lets you allow cPanel users to create parked and addon domains that resolve to other servers. To make your selection, click the button corresponding to the option you wish to use. This value defaults to Off.

ALERT! Warning: Enabling this option can cause major security issues. We strongly recommend that you do not enable this option."

From cpanel documentation, you can fix the setting up new sites by going to Tweak Settings in your WHM and check the box for allowing remote domains.

Things did not progress very well as I fell at the DNS setting section!

I will leave this for now until I have a bit more time.

Thanks for the instructions.

I had a problem like that and i try to find a solution

You can set up an account in WHM and access it by the username of the account, as DaringHost mentioned. Use any fake domain name you want when setting up the account.

You can either refer to the site using the http://111.111.111.111/~username format (where all the "1" are your IP address) or edit your local HOSTS file on your computer. You can Google this, but if I recalll correctly, the format is to add a line like:

111.111.111.111 fake-domain-name.com

To the HOSTS file and then save it. Close and restart your browser after editing HOSTS.

Then, when you enter "http://fake-domain-name.com" in your browser it will resolve to the IP address listed in HOSTS, find the A record for the domain on the server and display the webpage.

Only you will resolve to the new domain name, on that particular computer, and you have to remember to remove the HOSTS file entry as it will take precedence over any remote DNS information.

you can use it like this : http://yourserverip/~username