View Poll Results: What do you think about unlimited web hosts?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like them, i would choose unlimited if i had to!

9 11.11%
  • I like them, but i cant be sure if they will be reliable or not.

19 23.46%
  • I don't like them, but they seem to be more reliable than others.

2 2.47%
  • I hate them, total rip offs!

51 62.96%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

* What do you think about "Unlimited" web hosting?

As we all know that there are a lots of web hosting companies which provide so-called unlimited bandwidth/disk space. Many of us don't trust those type of companies, but i think Unlimited Hosting is really a good thing. If they say it is unlimited, and when their server runs out of disk space, it will be their responsibility to upgrade the disk capacity. So it will be unlimited for end users like us. I don't want to support those "Unlimited" companies, but i saw a lots of bad views on the word "Unlimited" on wht, so just wanted to know what you think. It is always an good idea to make sure that your web hosting company does not run away leaving you helpless, when they run out of disk space, but i think unlimited is not that bad. Please let me know what you think about unlimited web hosting.
    Last edited by KSubedi; 01-15-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    Nexim Web Hosting
    Reliable And Affordable Web, Reseller and VPS Hosting
    Advanced DDoS Protecion | Unmetered Bandwidth | Virtualizor | cPanel | MariaDB | LiteSpeed LSAPI | SSH/GIT Access | Nightly Backups and more.
    Contact: mail [at] neximweb.com / +19707033844 / Live Support on Website

that's what you're hoping they will do... however that is not the case.

Unfortunately most unlimited companies will suspend or terminate the client if they use too much space or resources. However though, I don't agree with shared hosting accounts using up space like a dedicated server. A shared hosting account is just that, shared. It's absurd to put 500GB of storage on a shared hosting account and expect the company to be alright with it (factoring in disk I/O, bandwidth, etc).

Honestly, if you use one of those "unlimited" shared accounts for just that, a few websites and files, I'm sure you'll have no problem using it to the fullest extent. These days too many people see unlimited and expect to be able to use unlimited server resources as well. Remember, shared hosting is different than dedicated hosting; other resources will need to be factored in - only so much can be used from multiple shared accounts at once on a single server.
    » VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    » HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Even though some hosts say they are unlimited. Of course not. There's always a catch.

Of course the host will need to upgrade the disk space. But the word "unlimited" doesn't stand to its true meaning in the web hosting industry.

Unlimited is a scam. It is never really unlimited. Read the fine print. Normally you will find a file number limit and an average resource limit compared to other clients. If you are using too much they will drop you and say its because you used more than the "average" user which is a usually made up number. There is no such thing as unlimited. I would stay as far away as possible from anyone who uses the word unlimited. So unlimited hosting is kind of like playing Russian roulette. If you just pay the bill and don't actually plan to use the service then go for unlimited hosting. If people actually go to your website get real hosting that you can count on.

scam

If unlimited is a scam..why is not the fcc, or some other regulating agency putting a stop to these fraudulent hosters. I for one, am tired of seeing unlimited..and feel at least they should put in big bold type..that "conditions can exist" that will invalidate your hosting or cause increased costs!
    evflyers.com

Quote Originally Posted by thebobzilla View Post
    If unlimited is a scam..why is not the fcc, or some other regulating agency putting a stop to these fraudulent hosters. I for one, am tired of seeing unlimited..and feel at least they should put in big bold type..that "conditions can exist" that will invalidate your hosting or cause increased costs!
    They do have small disclaimers at the bottom of their marketing pages. Their just hard to see. And like I said if you don't have many people coming to you site then it's okay for a very small site.

You can have unlimited hosting, for unlimited price...
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

Several webhosting companies offering Unlimited hosting. Actually its marketing trck, There is no unlimited hosting exists. none can offer unlimited hosting.

I for one, am tired of seeing unlimited..and feel at least they should put in big bold type..that "conditions can exist" that will invalidate your hosting or cause increased costs!
    Well, that should take care of 99.9% of hosts out there, because they offer unlimited something, be it email accounts, subdomains, addon domains, inodes, customer support etc. In fact, there is a limit to all of these.

I wouldn't go with an unlimited host unless I got some amazing deal on it. Although, thats not the main criteria I would judge a host on. Some can pull off selling "unlimited" without much negative effect on the service.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

If you ask me if I would go for unlimited disk space and bandwidth, my answer is no, unless the price is reasonable(should be unlimited ). Yes, for a very normal site it won't do any harm as far as the usage is limited. As Dan said many hosts offers subdomains, addon domains etc unlimited. But the difference is that the limit is clear; that should be your allocated disk space. Over that quota you can't use any addons or subdomains.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

If I were a lawyer, I'd play around with the "unlimited" shared web hosts by hosting my famous "Complete Collection of Historic Linux Distributions" web site with them, and then sue them for punitive damages if they ever violated the contract by suspending the account.

Just saying, in case there are any lawyers around with too much time on their hand.

I am not a fan of unlimited simple because it doesnt exist. I would rather have solid real numbers than an oversold unlimited account that is slow

Quote Originally Posted by thebobzilla View Post
    It's the FTC, not FCC, that would oversee this.
    And the problem largely falls under the radar because the bureaucrats in charge are still largely confused by the "Internets". Or "interwebs" if you prefer.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Unlimited plans are always limited. But, unfortunately, many customers easily become victims of unlimited trick.
    ►ExpertWebHost.NET- Instant reliable hosting since 2008+
    ►Quality Shared, Reseller, SEO and VPS hosting
    ►Choose to host from US/Uk/Canada/Singapore/Netherlands/Australia - 10 locations

It's dishonest and misleading. Not so bad if the real limits are mentioned in their Fair Usage policy though.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

I avoid hosts offering unlimited plans and look for a host that has reasonable amounts of bandwidth and storage offered for a reasonable price.

It's not the "unlimited" wording per se. It's the intent behind it. Most fly-by-night hosts offer it to lure as many customers as they can without forethought to how they will handle abuse or simply over-usage issues.

Unlimited bandwidth with 10MB hosting space is perfectly fine. Unlimited HD space with restrictions on the inodes is fine as well. It's the plans that have absolutely no balance that are problematic and unfortunately, most consumers do not know enough to shy away from those hosts.

It's like selling a car that gets 200mpg. Caveat: just drive downhill 99% of the time. Consumers know better than accepting this but in webhosting, they are just not similarly educated. They learn the hard way when their host disappears or performance begins to suffer big time. Then, they just jump to the next unlimited host for the next few months until issues develop there...

I think free cdn. or free backup.

21. Unfortunately hosting companies are abusing the word "Unlimited" as they won't even give a clear definition of it to their customers, I don't like to drop names but I have discussed with many of the big guys with unlimited plans "what if I want to use x amount of the resources since you are not putting a limit to it" and never received a straight answer.

Many average customers have no clue about these plans and as they see it they buy it. The truth is a lot of users of these services are using almost none of the resources leaving the rest of it for heavy users yet I don't see this term as being proper to be used. Awful management of the resources is another story itself.
    Last edited by Baltic Webhost; 01-16-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Hello,

Well, Let's Think About it , let's be realistic guys

JustHost Clients
    HostGator Clients
    GreenGeeks Clients
    FatCow Clients
    HostClear Clients
    Ipage Clients
    Powweb Clients
    and much much more

They are millions and millions of customers who are hosted in unlimited Plans,
    They are facing no problem, not at all,

and let's look at thos providers who want to sell 1GB of storage and 5GB of bandwith for $10/m what they have ? how much they are serving ?, something is wrrong here isn't it ? , honestly that is what i think.

However, Unlimited Web Hosting Do not mean that you can use unlimited of storage and bandwith, because there is always limits when yoou use more than you pay, you may have a request to change your hosting provider and issue a refund to you and that happen 0.001%, or i think people never face that problem,

Again : UNLIMITED WEB HOSTING i think it is only for personal Use,

For Business use, it is better to take a limited Hosting from a good a reliable provider, or VPOS is great .

Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by askhostinc View Post
    Hello,

However, Unlimited Web Hosting Do not mean that you can use unlimited of storage and bandwith, because there is always limits when yoou use more than you pay, you may have a request to change your hosting provider and issue a refund to you and that happen 0.001%, or i think people never face that problem,
    So you think it is okay to mislead your customers? You just said that unlimited does not mean unlimited and yet you still advertise your service as being unlimited. (your site doesn't even have a disclaimer) That is called false advertising.

Those listed providers kick websites all the time. A quick Google search will show that. Just wait until a site gets on Digg.com. Or a customer installs a slow script. And those are the people not keeping backups that you are screwing when you shut their service off.

Then they wise up buy a VPS and Dedicated and spend real money on real hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by askhostinc View Post
    They are facing no problem, not at all,
    At least those who haven't posted any online complaint, anyway. Would be somewhat interesting to see how many exactly complained because of precisely this sort of thing, though tracking and culling data is easier said than done.

RE

Quote Originally Posted by CityNick View Post
    So you think it is okay to mislead your customers? You just said that unlimited does not mean unlimited and yet you still advertise your service as being unlimited. (your site doesn't even have a disclaimer) That is called false advertising.

Those listed providers kick websites all the time. A quick Google search will show that. Just wait until a site gets on Digg.com. Or a customer installs a slow script. And those are the people not keeping backups that you are screwing when you shut their service off.

Then they wise up buy a VPS and Dedicated and spend real money on real hosting.

Hello,

i'm ot like you. i'm better then you,
    I know that WHT are not interested in Unlimited Hosting Plans and everyone know it,

Why you think that i'm advertising my company ? , i'm here to help people who have questions about things i may be interested on.
    if i want to advertise, there is an advertising section,
    you even do not know what you are talking about,
    again i'm not like you i am better then you i'm here to help peoples not advertise.

Thank You.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast