How to evaluate a provider w/ respect to latency...

I have an application that will be targeted at users in both the UK and the Philippines.

Doing some searching I've read some suggestions that good latency for Asia/Pacific users is available on the west coast (LA, etc), and I assume something similar would be true for the east cost (network particulars notwithstanding, I understand that geography isn't a guarantee of "network proximity")

This is a mobile app, so latency is my primary concern.

Would getting users on the mobile networks in the UK and the Philippines to ping the candidate providers' test IP's be the most appropriate way?

If so, can anyone recommend a resource to locate people to do such a thing? I know some people in the UK that could help out, but no one in the Philippines.

Or am I wasting time trying to mitigate this by choosing among providers and just go with a major provider that has multiple data centers and trust that the latency to overseas users will be mitigated by the provider having a robust internal network? (Softlayer, Liquidweb, Rackspace)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by temporalillusion; 02-14-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Changed title

"that the latency to overseas users will be mitigated by the provider having a robust internal network? "
    It's all the same, the speed of light cannot be surpassed. So if you have to travel a certain distance, you will see the latency increase no matter what.

From east coast to west coast USA, you are looking at between 60-80ms increase in latency.

If you want to hit UK, get a server in the UK - this will handle them and the surrounding EU area.
    Then for PHL get a server on the west coast USA which can also handle remainder USA traffic.

Very true, though if I'm only seeing a 60-80ms increase in latency for UK users just because my server is on the west coast, I'd probably be happy with that.

The app is more data oriented than real-time, so for latency I'm talking about establishing HTTP connections (or HTTPS in some cases).

I have thought about distributing servers, but then there's an issue of keeping the data synchronized. Not something we're prepared to take on at this point, but something I agree that will probably eventually have to happen.

Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by temporalillusion View Post
    Very true, though if I'm only seeing a 60-80ms increase in latency for UK users just because my server is on the west coast, I'd probably be happy with that.
    It's a 60-80ms increase *compared* to having it on the east coast US. The east coast US will then have easily another 80ms trip over to the UK.

You can easily get your latency down to 20ms for just about everyone in the UK by hosting there, whereas west coast us is going to be 150ms+

Definitely for Asia, host in the west coast US. If 150ms ping is good enough for UK users, then sure, just have the one server in the US. If you'd see a good value in having 20ms pings instead of 150ms pings to UK visitors, then get a second server there as well.

Quadranet is a great place to host servers to reach an Asian customer base.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    It's a 60-80ms increase *compared* to having it on the east coast US. The east coast US will then have easily another 80ms trip over to the UK.
    Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Quadranet is a great place to host servers to reach an Asian customer base.
    Heh, I checked and they're actually on my list of 8 or so ones I'd bookmarked for more serious consideration when I did my first go-round a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by temporalillusion View Post
    Understood.

Heh, I checked and they're actually on my list of 8 or so ones I'd bookmarked for more serious consideration when I did my first go-round a few months ago.
    For what it's worth, when I was hosting with Quadranet, the speeds to the UK were great. I could easily transfer files between my US and UK servers at 100 megabit on a single connection. The latency, as was mentioned earlier, does depend on the speed of light, so that's still going to be in the ballpark of 150ms.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Latency is just part of the equation. Packet loss plays an important part and serving content to end users on other continents doesn't help.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-14-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough