Has anyone successfully removed a blocked IP from Yahoo?

One of our Linux cPanel servers have been blacklisted by Yahoo. I followed their recommended.

I see a lot of these errors in /var/log/exim_mainlog:

2011-02-14 11:23:54 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host e.mx.mail.yahoo.com [67.195.168.230]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:54 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host b.mx.mail.yahoo.com [74.6.136.65]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:54 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host m.mx.mail.yahoo.com [66.94.238.147]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:54 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host h.mx.mail.yahoo.com [66.94.236.34]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:54 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host k.mx.mail.yahoo.com [98.139.54.60]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:54 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host i.mx.mail.yahoo.com [74.6.140.64]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host j.mx.mail.yahoo.com [66.94.237.64]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host d.mx.mail.yahoo.com [209.191.88.254]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host g.mx.mail.yahoo.com [98.137.54.238]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host l.mx.mail.yahoo.com [74.6.136.244]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host f.mx.mail.yahoo.com [98.137.54.237]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host c.mx.mail.yahoo.com [206.190.54.127]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host a.mx.mail.yahoo.com [67.195.168.31]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html
    2011-02-14 11:23:55 1Pouer-0005le-Fk == [email protected] R=dk_lookuphost T=dk_remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host a.mx.mail.yahoo.com [67.195.168.31]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 66.197.167.227 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html

So, following the suggestions here: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...master-15.html
    I can safely say that, from a hosting side:

1. We don't use DKIM, since cPanel doesn't officially support it, but we have SPF & DomainKeys installed on all domains.
    2. PTR records for the server is setup properly.
    3. The mail server is secure, and not an open relay

Many of the other options on that list is the responsibility of our clients, and I honestly don't know how to check and see if all clients follow those practices w.r.t. mailing lists (i.e. using opt-in / opt-out, pay attention to email content, etc).

So, does anyone know how we can clear the Yahoo blacklist, and keep a better tab on clients? It's a shared server, so it's a bit tricky to know if / when a client sets up a mailing list, and if they do follow the correct procedures.

Any pointers or help with this would be appreciated.

I have spoked to Yahoo about this a few times but always just get their crappy canned response telling me to follow the recommended guidelines, but then nothing more from them.
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

Been there a few times. Keep responding and following up on the emails they send for "more information". Keep reminding them you're not a bulk mailer (assuming you're not) and how this is most likely the result of shared hosting customers forwarding email off the server (as it typically is in cases we've had), and eventually they reluctantly remove it. We've had a few occasions where they had simply closed the issue, possibly because the agent didn't feel like dealing with it or something. The most recent one (November), we had to reopen it three times because of closure.

It's an uphill battle every time with Yahoo, usually taking literally weeks or months of effort.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Yes, we have. However, we have found Yahoo infamous for sending canned responses with the same irrelevant forms. After some persistence though, we've been successful in both instances with them. Given some of the responses from them, I'd have to agree with bear, they either didn't feel like dealing with it at the time and/or didn't take the time to read our initial message in-full.

Be persistent and concise with your messages to them. I guess we were rather lucky though, I've seen a number of hosts who have indicated weeks or more to get any resolution; one way or the other. Both instances we've had with them were resolved and we were unblocked within less than a week; days actually.
    GG Web Hosting
    Backup, Digital (SSL) Certificates, Domains, Hosting, Privacy Policy, Software
    S/W: Peel Ads, Softaculous, WHMCS Addons (Abuse Mon., Affiliate Peel Ads, Client Stat., Ord. Prevention, Ord. Stat., Softaculous NOC, Sys. Cleanup)
    Authorized Reseller Program

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    It's an uphill battle every time with Yahoo, usually taking literally weeks or months of effort.
    Jeeze, I actually find Yahoo! to be the easiest to work with when it comes to blocks and mail delivery problems. Usually everything gets resolved after the second email.

<rant coming...>

It's Hotmail that throws me into an actual rage. My blood pressure goes through the roof every time I have to deal with them. Years ago they were still a PITA to deal with but they would eventually whitelist you despite claiming they have no whitelist. Now a days, they run you around in circles and you never get anywhere besides the ER for a possible heart attack and/or stroke.

Our mail goes to the Junk folder regardless of how perfect our mail servers are setup. You name it, we have it. SPF, DKIM, Domain Keys, PTR, Member of the Microsoft Junk Mail Reporting Program, everything... no mail delivery problems elsewhere but Hotmail insists on being beyond reasonable. It gets even better, I made two new Hotmail accounts and emailed each other an actual email and BOTH went into the Junk folder. That's right, they Junked email from their own accounts!

<RAGE!!!>

Oh, and with Yahoo! make sure you have postmaster@ and abuse@ email addresses setup for your domains including the PTR domain ([email protected]..) for the mail server. They told us that years ago and sure enough it helped back then, not sure if it does now but we set those up regardless...

Quote Originally Posted by GGWH-James View Post
    we were unblocked within less than a week; days actually.
    Love to know how you managed that.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Actually, we've been pretty lucky with Yahoo!, too. (sorry, couldn't resist)

We've had a few users w/ Yahoo! accounts that got us blacklisted, but we've usually been able to resolve it within a week with no particular effort. Compared to the nightmare we had with Spamhaus, it was a breeze.

Akin
    Netmar Web Services - Reliable Web Hosting for 15 years
    Shared hosting, business hosting, domain name registration, and VMware virtual servers
    Specializing in Drupal hosting
    Call 866-363-8627 (toll-free) and ask about our Drupal accounts

I like how they send an email asking me to rate our experience with them - after receiving a canned response that had nothing to do with my original form submission.

Didn't rate them very well at all - maybe someone will actually read my comment card?
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by TheHostGenie View Post
    I like how they send an email asking me to rate our experience with them - after receiving a canned response that had nothing to do with my original form submission.

Didn't rate them very well at all - maybe someone will actually read my comment card?
    It probably when in the spam folder

Quote Originally Posted by SKaero View Post
    It probably when in the spam folder
    Haha, good point.
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    [email protected]

I have the same problem and I have been going back and forth for about two months. I filled out all of their seriously irrelevant forms (canned) and jumped through all of the hoops to no avail. This is over a server I just brought up too that maybe had one email sent with it's IP.
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

Quote Originally Posted by CoryPippen View Post
    I have the same problem and I have been going back and forth for about two months. I filled out all of their seriously irrelevant forms (canned) and jumped through all of the hoops to no avail. This is over a server I just brought up too that maybe had one email sent with it's IP.
    Are your messages being blocked or are they going into the Junk / Spam folders within Yahoo?
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    Many of the other options on that list is the responsibility of our clients, and I honestly don't know how to check and see if all clients follow those practices w.r.t. mailing lists (i.e. using opt-in / opt-out, pay attention to email content, etc).
    You may want to remind all your clients of their duties to not abuse your TOS. Why do I say this? Even if you're able to get off the blocked lists at Yahoo, you're going to right back on them unless you cure what caused the block in the first place.
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

i used this link http://forums.smartertools.com/p/13531/30555.aspx and it took about 2 weeks but my mails finally send to yahoo without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Are your messages being blocked or are they going into the Junk / Spam folders within Yahoo?
    No I'm getting the same "permanently deferred" error.
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

i was getting the deferred error as well. copy and paste that form and send it to the yahoo email given. answer it correctly and you'll be good to go.

The 421 TS03 means they are seeing a lot of connections from your server. Nothing about DKIM, SPF, rDNS, or anything else.
    Sounds like you have a big list with a lot of yahoo based addresses in it. Although it's a permanent error, it's actually...not. Once you fall off the recent connections list, you should be good. But, I'm willing to bet your main issue your SMTP hammering them a bit more than they like.
    Setting up a FBL is quite easy, and will get you white listed. I've even had them FBL some DSL based IPs. Go figger.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Sigh... To everyone who thinks Yahoo! is bad, here's another one of my rants about Hotmail.

They decided to block a bunch of our IP addresses last week and they refuse to tell us why, but they'll happily white list one IP address at a time which is nothing short of pulling teeth and defeats their logic of blocking the IP addresses in the first place?! They won't even tell us if it's our upstream IP addresses or our specific allocations. You can't get an inch of useful information out of them, no matter how polite and willing you are to work with them.

We've never been listed in a reputable RBL, we have custom software that literally monitors the flow of outgoing email in realtime and if an unusual pattern happens it shuts down email for further inspection, all mail servers are setup correctly and Hotmail decides they want to play around and be oh so secretive? Oh yeah, we're also a member of the Hotmail Junk Mail Reporting Program and haven't received anything unusual in some time... not good enough apparently.

I'm so sick and tired of dealing with Hotmail when no other provider has to be even 1/10th as difficult as they are when it comes to these things. I cannot believe how enraged the whole process makes me. It's probably a good thing there isn't a Hotmail Postmaster Group location within driving distance of me... </rage>!

I notice the OP has an IP with BurstNET and we also have a new range with BurstNET that is completely blacklisted with Yahoo, sigh... After a few heated exchanges between myself and Yahoo! trying to make them understand that we are not a bulk mailer, and we have nothing to do with any prior reputation problems, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion as everyone else. For years I found Yahoo! great to work with but something must have changed... this is awful, much more than Hotmail because at least with Hotmail they were prompt and gave personalized responses and eventually sorted everything out.

Why do mail providers have to be so bloody difficult at these things? Do they not understand that IP allocations can change owners? This is really <expletive> ridiculous! I'd love to meet the middle manager who thinks some of these policies are good and actually reasonable. Sigh. One of these days... one of these days. </rage>!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why do mail providers have to be so bloody difficult at these things? Do they not understand that IP allocations can change owners?
    While it can be a real pain it's somewhat understandable why email providers aren't more helpful -- it's probably like playing whack-a-mole trying to determine valid email senders vs. the spammers that hop around to different hosts.
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

There are a few like this and all the same. Never an explanation for what triggered the block and they eventually remove the block and whitelist your IP possibly. It varies list to list how quickly the block is removed. It sure would be helpful if they actually told you what triggered it.

Yahoo, Hotmail, AT&T are two that come to mind. AOL is one of the few surprisingly that has the tools to inform you of what they think is spam. They also are kind enough via their support means to give you a specific email for a block. That goes a whole lot further to not have the problem coming back a week later.

Also have others who are ridiculous with the block sizes they do. We're having trouble with homesteadmail because they blocked an entire /16 for scattered complaints on the ip range. They also refuse to ever remove the block. That was after it took them a week to respond.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!