How exactly domain transfer works?

Hi,

I've never transferred a domain earlier, so I would like to know a couple of things before doing that.

1) Suppose I register a new domain name with Yahoo! (which is currently offering $3.95 for new .com registrations), then will I be able to transfer it to Name.com later (without paying any extra fee to Yahoo!)?
    2) What exactly is the "transfer fee"? Will it extend my domain registration period by 1 year or will there still be a need to pay the domain registration fee to Name.com (means transfer fee + registration fee for next year)?
    3) One last question, if I transfer the domain (with 6 months still pending for renewal) & assuming that by just paying transfer fee the domain will be renewed by 1 year, then the pending 6 months (from earlier registration), will that period be added to the overall domain period, i.e. the domain will be now 18 months from expiration or will it be just 12 months?

Thanks.

Don't confuse fees with registration - Some hosts will charge an admin fee to release
    If you have to add to the registration fee as part of the transfer it will add to the renewal date not the current date

There is some registering company which charge for domain transfer while some offer this service free of cost but no idea about Yahoo. Generally transfer fee to be same as new domain registration fees. You will have to pay other fee as well for new domain registration. I have no idea about your last question.

Quote Originally Posted by nancysmith View Post
    There is some registering company which charge for domain transfer while some offer this service free of cost but no idea about Yahoo. Generally transfer fee to be same as new domain registration fees. You will have to pay other fee as well for new domain registration. I have no idea about your last question.
    In all cases when you pay for the domain name transfer - you pay for the domain name renewal on new domain name registrar.

Look at this link to know about transfers from yahoo to another registrar.

Transfer will add 1 year to your current expiry date. If your domain is expiring March 2013, then after transferring to another registrar it will expire on March 2014
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

I don't think that yahoo will ask for money to release the domain for transfer.

Transfer fee basically is one year registration fee, that adds one year to your domain's expiry date.

To transfer a domain you will need that domain to be unlocked, your own email ID in Admin/Registrant (Public WHOIS) and EPP code from the losing registrar. So check before hand if yahoo gives you full control of your domain, can you obtain EPP code automatically without their manual support you are good to go, but since yahoo book domains through melbourneit, I have doubts that your transfer process is going to be easy.

If your domain is important for you don't nickle and dime and get it booked at some good registrar.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Aniqa View Post
    Look at this link to know about transfers from yahoo to another registrar.

Transfer will add 1 year to your current expiry date. If your domain is expiring March 2013, then after transferring to another registrar it will expire on March 2014
    Actually i was looking for this kind of information on transferring domain, thanks for sharing the link.

Thanks everyone for clearing this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinayak_Sharma View Post

If your domain is important for you don't nickle and dime and get it booked at some good registrar.
    Totally agree with you. All my other domains are with Name.com, & the new domains that I want to register are not that important right now, because I'm busy with my other projects & won't be working on these new domains anytime soon. So, I wanted to register the domains with Yahoo! & later transfer these to Name.com

Why you are Transferring the Domain when you have a option to park your domain to some where else.I Think you better use to park your domain to other registrar. This is not cost you a single peny. Normally this think is happen when you buy domain and park it on Google (For adsense for Domain). This parking method has nothing to do with your Expiration Date.