newbie vps questions

Hi,

currently testing some vps to see in which I am going to stay and certain questions came up that really worry me.

a)On a vps when setting multiple accounts it there the availabily to limit the disk/bandwidth for each indivual account?(via whm?)
    b)On the one vps I am currently using i keep getting mails from cpanel about services failing(cpsrvd,ftpd,lfd,httpd,imap,exim)
    every 5 min some of them.I have contacted them and they told me that it's a cpanel bug,but I am worried because the other vps(with the same settings) doesn't have any problems.
    c)Is there a user friendly script for server monitoring?Tried nagios and got lost

Thank you in advance for your answers.

a. You can limit disk/bandwidth of individual accounts by creating separate packages and assigning the package to each account.

b. That's not normal and not a cPanel bug. I do not get that on my cPanel VPS. Check your logs as they'll generally tell you what happened and why services stopped.

c. What kind of monitoring do you need? If it's simply checking uptime, Pingdom and Binary Canary are 2 that I use. I'm not sure about other more advanced monitors.

Hi there ramdox,

a) Yes, you can limit the space and bandwidth for each account via WHM, this is what you set when creating a package.

b) I would be a bit worried, however are these services actually failing on your server or are they working? It may just be that you have a slightly different version on each cPanel and there may in fact be a small issue.

c) What exactly did you plan on monitoring? Simple ping tests to check uptime or in-depth analysis of various applications?

Kind Regards,
    Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Hi Bret,
    Thanks for replying.
    Whm is the same,the only difference is on OS.Host1 is the one that sends the warnings.
    Host1 11.28.64 Centos 5.5 i686
    Host2 11.28.64 centos 5.5 x86_64

What i have in mind for monitoring is actually a working/not working status. For html/mail/mysql. Nothing else

Thanks again

Martin

Also WickedFactor Thank you for the links,Pingdom is paid which I would like to avoid,i will try Binary canary.

Thanks
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by ramdox View Post
    Also WickedFactor Thank you for the links,Pingdom is paid which I would like to avoid,i will try Binary canary.

Thanks
    Martin
    Pingdom has a free service too.

https://www.pingdom.com/signup/

Quote Originally Posted by HarrySX View Post
    Pingdom has a free service too.

https://www.pingdom.com/signup/

Oups,didn't see the big button on the bottom that said Free sign up
    Thanks

@WickedFactor - I had the same problem, constantly getting messages from cpanel that the services are down and actualy they were not down. so, if services are up and cpanel send emails that they are down constantly I do not see how to call it except bug? I disable the checks and everything was ok after that. check with "ps aux" or "netstat -anlp" and you will be sure if they are up or not.

cpanel is full with bugs and I hate it now... and finaly I give up and transfer to directadmin. now everything is peachy.

b)On the one vps I am currently using i keep getting mails from cpanel about services failing(cpsrvd,ftpd,lfd,httpd,imap,exim)
    every 5 min some of them.I have contacted them and they told me that it's a cpanel bug,but I am worried because the other vps(with the same settings) doesn't have any problems.
    If this is an OpenVZ VPS, check for failcounts in beancounters (as root, "cat /proc/user_beancounters" or you may have something in your (VPS) control panel to show you this). If you do find a high failcount (on privvmpages most likely) then it indicates that your processes are getting killed by OpenVZ.
    Last edited by foobic; 02-13-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: clarity
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

@fobic don't have a cat/ folder,and Probably think they are using virtuozzo.
    How can I tell?

@Vencislav unfortunately for the last decade I have been using cpanel for my hosting/reseller accounts.And I find it very diffucult to use something else.Even so I got a low-end vps just to play with webmin,and learn

from the whm Server status => Apache status i get a
    Failed to receive status information from Apache.
    Unable to connect to local httpd server.

And on the service status most of them are down.
    I analyzed the mails coming to me from cpanel trying to find a pattern
    cpsrvd and lfd are failing every 5 minutes, ftpd every 10 minutes,For the others it's less often with interval 1-2 hours.
    exim,imap,httpd(times 8:14,5:47,3.47,2.320

When checking the service,sometimes almost immediately,the sites are working,even cpanel,So I can assume that the service is shutting down and immediately starts.But this is normal?Should it be shutting down so often?
    And especially now when I don't have a single user pointing at the website?

I think there is a misconfiguration either on the vps,or on cpanel that is causing this.But how can I tell which one of the 2 is?

Martin

I think that you need to understand one simple thing. You are given small VPS and You can do whatever you need or what to within given limits.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

The small vps I got to play with webmin has 256mb ram,and couldn't care less if it's working or not That's why it's for playing/learning.

The vps that is giving me the abovementioned problems has 1024mb ram,exactly because I wanted the cpanel/whm and to be stable.

Therefore I don't think that this is a small vps.

You can check when your service was started with the ps aux command, and under the "START" column you will see whan the service was started. So if you received an email 5 minutes ago that the service was down, but ps aux shows that it was started couple of hours ago, than you can be sure that it is a cpanel problem and that your service is ok.

Seccon, you have cpanel on vps, before you had cpanel on a shared hosting which was probably installed on a dedicated server.cpanelk on dedicate server works ok, but on a vps has it's own issues. that is why the price is different too.

@fobic don't have a cat/ folder,and Probably think they are using virtuozzo.
    How can I tell?
    cat isn't a folder, it's a shell command. You need to log into the server by SSH as root (using for example PuTTY) and then run the command, which will display the contents of the file /proc/user_beancounters. Both OpenVZ and Virtuozzo systems will have this file; other systems won't.

from the whm Server status => Apache status i get a
    Failed to receive status information from Apache.
    Unable to connect to local httpd server.

And on the service status most of them are down.
    I analyzed the mails coming to me from cpanel trying to find a pattern
    cpsrvd and lfd are failing every 5 minutes, ftpd every 10 minutes,For the others it's less often with interval 1-2 hours.
    exim,imap,httpd(times 8:14,5:47,3.47,2.320

When checking the service,sometimes almost immediately,the sites are working,even cpanel,So I can assume that the service is shutting down and immediately starts.But this is normal?Should it be shutting down so often?
    And especially now when I don't have a single user pointing at the website?
    That does seem to indicate that your services are failing repeatedly. cPanel will attempt to restart them as necessary but no, at that sort of frequency it's not normal at all. Is this a managed VPS? If so the provider should help you out (although if they're blaming this on a cPanel bug, that doesn't inspire confidence).
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Check this, I'm sure you have similar problem which I also had.

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/exim-sho...tus-66043.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vencislav View Post
    Seccon, you have cpanel on vps, before you had cpanel on a shared hosting which was probably installed on a dedicated server.cpanelk on dedicate server works ok, but on a vps has it's own issues. that is why the price is different too.
    Vencislav,under normal sircumstances,I would agree with you,but since I have a third vps,with cpanel/whm for almost a month,and there it's working correctly,there has to be an error somewhere,(logically),same configuration and cpanel is sending me mails only when someone connects as root,and 2 other errors)

I totally agree that the price is different.My logical assumption is that VPS is for people that cannot afford a dedicated server,so they get a slice of that.So actually what i think I am getting is a dedicated server with 1gb ram,1 cpu,and 30-50gb disk.Isolated from everyone else,and using these resources.Please tell me where I am wrong.

@foobic
    "That does seem to indicate that your services are failing repeatedly. cPanel will attempt to restart them as necessary but no, at that sort of frequency it's not normal at all. Is this a managed VPS? If so the provider should help you out (although if they're blaming this on a cPanel bug, that doesn't inspire confidence)."

They are managed,and the responce was that it's a cpanel bug,and I agree with you that it doesn't inspire confidence