Offering free service to non profits

Good Morning;

Wondering if anyone has offered free services to non-profits for PR?

If so did it work out at all? Was it worth it, did they speak highly of you and send clients your way?

I do, but less chance to get new client from that way. It is only for reputation.

It's not really worth it just to be a non-profit for PR. If you want to have a good company I would just recommend a lot of advertising and a good services. The better services you provide the more you will get known

Hosting for open source software might lead to some good PR.
    Hello

We host a number of not for profits, all good causes, but very little noticeable return other than the good will and karma. We do it to make a difference, not to gain (though that would be appreciated).
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    We host a number of not for profits, all good causes, but very little noticeable return other than the good will and karma. We do it to make a difference, not to gain (though that would be appreciated).
    I'm starting a new forum (Dogs) and am looking to do something to make it stand out of the crowd. In that field there are lots of small non-profits (e.g. rescues).

With my background in Internet Service, I thought offering these non-profits hosting would be a good reasonably low cost way to gain exposure for my forum. What your saying seems to confirm what I have heard & read elsewhere; that you don't get much direct return / results out of donations.

Though, I'm still considering offering paid hosting just to this market (Dog Businesses), thought I'm still not sure I want to jump back into a service with paying customers.

One other hosting / SAAS idea I had; I think I'd have a good deal of success offering a Yahoo Groups type of service. Though based on my research, it appears there would be a lot of custom programming to have a listserv with a nice web interface.

It's kind of amazing that no one has come out with a good e-mail to forum bridge, but it doesn't seem to currently exist. I know mailing lists in the pet industry that have 20,000+ just on one Yahoo list, and many would love to leave Yahoo due to problems with Yahoo Groups. Even if I had the software, hosting that high of e-mail volume; I can only imagine the headaches. (but I'm willing to bet if I did host some of those targeted lists they would monetize very well).

Quote Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
    Good Morning;

Wondering if anyone has offered free services to non-profits for PR?

If so did it work out at all? Was it worth it, did they speak highly of you and send clients your way?
    My business model is selling nothing, offering free web hosting to groups that promote a world view consistent with my own, and recovering my costs or a portion using crappy affiliate marketing sites.

I don't think I get much street cred for the sites I host, I do it because I want to.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale