Arrow ATMAIL (@Mail) Review /. Assessment

Hello,

We have multiple cPanel servers and are looking to setup a dedicated mail server with advanced sync features such as:
    • Great Webmail Experience
    • Shared Cal
    • Shared Contacts
    • Tight SpamAssassin Integration
    • Secure IMAP
    • High Reliability
    • Backed by great support

The best solution we have found seems to be ATMAIL (@MAIL). However, I cant seem to find much user reviews/recommendations for it?

I would like to get a honest assessment from people who use ATMAIL server+WebMail and their reactions.

We dont want to get stuck with an expensive solution that dosnt perform.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you asking about people who have integrated @Mail into cPanel? If so, I'd love to hear some feedback as well...
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

No - this is be separate from cPanel.

We will have a dedicated server setup with ATMAIL Server and ATMAIL WebMail.

I have researched integrating ATMAIL directly with cPanel and its not the way we want to go.

Been using @mail free on our servers and it's lightning fast and feels very 'appy'. Apart from that it just works And good!
    hi there!

atmail.org's demo doesn't even work..

Hmmmz, haven't looked much on their website but it seems heavily outdated.
    hi there!

Not to confuse - my form post is actually in regards to the PROFESSIONAL version which looks very promising:
    www.atmail.com

I prefer Roundcube for Linux. Or MailEnable for Windows.
    Atmail (Linux and Windows) is runner-up to those two, as well as Smartermail (Windows).
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Not sure about the calendar aspects, but as a webmail client, atmail is easily one of the worst I've ever run across. About the only thing it's got going for it are the spiffy looks.

I'd even use squirrelmail rather than face atmail again, and roundcube is far better.

Akin
    Netmar Web Services - Reliable Web Hosting for 15 years
    Shared hosting, business hosting, domain name registration, and VMware virtual servers
    Specializing in Drupal hosting
    Call 866-363-8627 (toll-free) and ask about our Drupal accounts

I've been looking at similar products, and while reading up on AtMail I decided to look elsewhere.

AfterLogic has a nice Mail Server suite here: http://www.afterlogic.com/mailsuite/linux-email-server

Pricing and features are competitive with AtMail. $175/yr license would allow 100 domains on your server to have a 100 users per domain. Pricing: http://www.afterlogic.com/purchase/mailsuite-pro-linux (Hosting Provider ISP Program)

I've been looking a wide range of email options as I just don't like the web based cPanel defaults, and in 2011 i'd like to offer a modern solution to email.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Quote Originally Posted by Vazapi-Curtis View Post
    I just don't like the web based cPanel defaults, and in 2011 i'd like to offer a modern solution to email.
    I'd ask for you to define what "modern solution" means.

You have to realize that pretty much everything out there is a clone of Microsoft Exchange, in one way or another. Roundcube does that pretty well, and it's a cPanel default. On Windows platform, Smartermail and MailEnable are quite excellent, too. One of the first things I do to a new VPS or dedicated server is install either Roundcube or MailEnable, if not already present. Plesk and cPanel further offer spam and blacklist tools.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Roundcube does NOT have:
    Shared Cal + Syncing
    Shared Contacts + Syncing

These are big requirements. Needs to sync with Outlook also.

I am also comparing ATMAIL and AfterLogic - cant seem to find much 'reviews' on either.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I'd ask for you to define what "modern solution" means.

You have to realize that pretty much everything out there is a clone of Microsoft Exchange, in one way or another. Roundcube does that pretty well, and it's a cPanel default. On Windows platform, Smartermail and MailEnable are quite excellent, too. One of the first things I do to a new VPS or dedicated server is install either Roundcube or MailEnable, if not already present. Plesk and cPanel further offer spam and blacklist tools.
    Well, as far as the cPanel ones I would say their functionality is tried and true. While SquirrelMail and RoundCube work well (for the most part), I would say they lack a modern feel. (Think: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Etc)

I'm just seeking an option that looks more in tune with what customers use for their personal web-based mail, with more modern mail features and mobile support.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

A modern feel would be nice - but not required (can be changed via CSS).

But we need sharing, syncing, and mobile support... Those are the 'EXCHANGE' features that make exchange.

Seems Web Mail is really behind the times....

Would Zimbra be worth looking at here? Seems like an Exchange clone and then some.
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Yes - Zimbra doesn't look so good.. It also seems to be very complicated.
    I tried to get into the Community Version Demo but I cant get past the CAPTCHA and I have not heard a response back from them.

Quote Originally Posted by griffe View Post
    Roundcube does NOT have:
    Shared Cal + Syncing
    Advanced email is where Windows hosting is generally needed -- either with Exchange, MailEnable or SmarterMail. You don't really see a lot of enterprise-grade mail on Linux OS servers. This is one of many reasons I have Windows servers.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

I've used the professional version of Atmail and it's decent.
    Last edited by JohnJ; 02-14-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Needed to remove something.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    I've used the professional version of Atmail and it's decent. I prefer to use Thunderbird.
    This thread isn't about desktop clients.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    This thread isn't about desktop clients.
    My bad, I guess I read over it. In that case, I'd say that Roundcube would be my first choice for Web mail.

Ehh - Screw windows email solutions! I know many of them are great but there all very PRICY and I believe there is a Linux hosted alternative.

Has anyone tried SOGO?

I'd recommend taking a peek @ horde groupware at this point. It's getting consistently better on a daily basis, and though I've always been a bit annoyed at Horde's UI for the mostpart, it's 100% functional which is a lot more than one could say for other projects.

We were tempted with atmail back in the day but I've heard of their abuse / security related responses as being lacking, thus we avoided them.

re:
    @Zimbra -- too resource intensive, alright for smaller installations one-off, clientwise.
    @Roundcube -- still like it, and use it, and their updates have improved things significantly over time.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Would take a lot of time to style HORDE, trying to stay away from it.

Seems like these are the options:
    www.afterlogic.com
    www.sogo.nu
    www.zimbra.com (bulky)
    www.atmail.com (poor user feedback)

But I cant seems to really find many people with experience with ANY of these solutions.

At least not a rollout of 100+ domains and 500 users...?

I like their look... The features included is great.. Hope it will come with more improve service..

Afterlogic product looks interesting, however I don't see why you couldn't use the Community WebMail Lite version instead of purchasing the licensed version.

Apart of that it seems that Godaddy is using Afterlogic

Would take a lot of time to style HORDE, trying to stay away from it.

Seems like these are the options:
    www.afterlogic.com
    www.sogo.nu
    www.zimbra.com (bulky)
    www.atmail.com (poor user feedback)

But I cant seems to really find many people with experience with ANY of these solutions.

At least not a rollout of 100+ domains and 500 users...?

Quote Originally Posted by albatroz View Post
    Afterlogic product looks interesting, however I don't see why you couldn't use the Community WebMail Lite version instead of purchasing the licensed version.

Apart of that it seems that Godaddy is using Afterlogic
    The community edition does not including the groupware features and syncing...

Also we tried to get the community version running but were getting many errors.. When asking them about it they said just purchase the pay for version as its 'much better' and they dont spend any time on the community version.

We have still not made a decision.

I have written a couple of times to ATMail Sales department with no results. However Afterlogic guys replied me fast.

Roundcube does NOT have:
    Shared Cal + Syncing

I am also comparing ATMAIL and AfterLogic - cant seem to find much 'reviews' on either.

I used atmail a few months ago, its a stable and reliable script, however, I would not recomend it as there are many free options that have better security and user mangement.

Personally, and I know I am going to hear some comments about this, but I use Microsofts Mail service for my web mail. You have all the features that you would with a normal hotmail account and all the great integration features if you use any other ms product like outlook.

I have a windows phone so I have all my business emails synced my my phone and it works fantastic.

But back to atmail. The user management options were nice, had some interesting branding options for corporate use, and the ajax email check system was also very nice.

I would suggest checking all your options and deciding which is best for what you need it. Everything has its pros and everything has its cons, just have to weigh them and do what you think is best.

We used to use AtMail before switching to a mix of Zimbra and Google Apps, whilst I've got nothing speciak to.say about it, I don't remember it ever causing complications.

Have you seen Zafara or Scalix? I haven't personally gotten a chance to use either of them but I know those are also popular (in addition to atmail,zimbra,afterlogic, etc.)

I have used AtMail, the only complaint I have is that you can't customize the font when composing messages. (I might be wrong about that, let me know if I am . )

Maybe Zarafa could make a product based on their groupware solution that could fit inside the Afterlogic / ATMail webmail range

Sorry for the old bump but what did you end up going with?

I'm considering Atmail Server and AfterLogic MailSuite Pro but there's really not many reviews around.
    I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

We use Atmail for our Basic E-mail package only. It's definitely a step up from open-source alternatives such as RoundCube or Squirrelmail, simply because you can sync your data through CalDAV/CardDAV. Recently they also started offering Activesync but it costs 4$/user/year which is less attractive, especially since their code is based on Zarafa's Z-push - which is open source.

In any case, for iOS devices, Atmail could be a good fit since they all support IMAP, CalDAV & CardDav so you don't really need Activesync. However, I would only recommend Atmail for individual e-mail access, not an office environment.

For Exchange-like features, there isn't anything in the open-source world that is stable enough or gives all the features required. You have to go with a commercial solution and depending on the number of users this could mean big $$$.

You can also try having a look at 'Sogo' - http://www.sogo.nu/english.html - It's nice but far from enterprise-ready.
    Last edited by emailexpert; 12-29-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Have used @mail for a free email service during 2003-2004, so it is a long time back.

Used to love @mail for its look and feel - which was ahead of most webmail clients at that time. It is actually designed to be deployed for a large user base over multiple servers. Back end is strong. It is PERL, which we had limited expertise which was a problem.
    Hosting Coupons: MediaTemple Recurring Discount, HostNine Offers and more..

I purchased an atmail webmail license and have been running it nearly a year. It is a nice product in many ways but my experiences with them and their 'support' are leading me to feel I will dump it and not renew.

It would seem they learnt their support style from parallels as it is like pulling teeth and I don't think I've ever once experienced them fully complete or properly answer a request. This was even in the presales period and must be cause I'm on a small license. I've had to use up remote access tickets to get them to fix things that should have been done on installation by them so I do wonder why they sell small licenses they seemingly have little interest in supporting.

I initially purchased the plesk version inside 9.3 and it was painfully slow. Presales support was so confusing and they messed up my order so I ended up needing to switch to the webmail version which ultimately they resolved. Performance improved, but it frequently jams on loading inbox or mails and can take up to 30 sec to display. This is on a fast connection on a good VPS with not huge user traffic or memory use. On install they never installed the calendar properly and all kinds of issues with python related to stability and performance took ages to clear up and I had to nag to get this done.

Ultimately if you are comfortable providing your own support at shell level and feel confident you can configure and admin the product yourself it may be a good option as there are some nice things about this product.
    However, I'm a designer who provides hosting for my clients and it is an expensive product that I'm considering dumping as my skill level isn't really there at shell level and I've no evidence it is any better under plesk 10. Time to try AfterLogic perhaps.

For what it's worth, I believe Media Temple's newest mail product is based on Atmail: http://weblog.mediatemple.net/2011/1...l-coming-soon/

Hi everyone from afterlogic webmail developers!
    We are very excited about good words here. Please feel free to post your request to us as we are eager to a create really comfortable product for hosters.