Any reason for selling domains for low prices?

Some domain extensions like .in,.asia(mainly ccTLD s) are offered by low prices.I think some large reseller domain registrars start providing them with low costs for a particular period.But popular registrars(like enom,godaddy) never sell with such a low prices

Is there any specific reason behind that other than the marketing?

Thanks!

Nope. No reason, other than Marketing.
    Signature Under Construction.

To attract new customers and then recovering the loss (or less profit) when the renew comes next year. Many registrars use this strategy for new registrations and transfers.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

I was actually coming on here to ask a similar question.

There are alot of companies selling .co.uk domains (in particular) for a bit less that what we, as resellers, get them for. Would there be any long term advantage to us selling the domains at a small loss to compete with such companies?

Some small registrars seeking more and more customers and due to this they offer cheap price for .in and .Asia and other such domain extension. The other thing is that if you are registering a new domain name extension with .in through Indian registrars then it will be costly compare to US or UK registrars because Indian registrars may have more customers for .in extension. Thus its rate also based on "More demand More price" "Less demand Less price" formula.

They are resellers and I am sure that you'd better register domains via accredited Registrar in order to be sure that your domain will not disappear.

In the most cases those domain names are cheap only for first year. Next year you will need to pay as twice as big price for its renewal. I suppose that low price for the first year is used to attract more clients.

As far I know there is only one reason behind it, that is to attract new customers to their Company. I don't think the price would be less for long years. They can raise the price for domains at any moment, maybe after two or three years.

Reason behind the low price could be PROMOTION it doesn't mean quality is low. Because once the company got a client it will be for long time and in long term company will get profit from them.

This is certainly only a marketing reason. But if you look at Godaddy for example, they have a fix price, but they offer many Promo Codes with their extemsiosn, so it comes to the same.

Cost of attracting new customers

During May 2010, 1and1 offered a .com domain name, free for the first year. I got one and it has made a few dollars for us. When it comes up for Renewal, I will renew it with 1and1, which will be USD$8.99 for one year.

IMHO, The companies that offer domain name registrations at a very low cost for the first year, or in this case, free for the first year, are hoping that the customer will renew with them and remain their customer.

For web hosting accounts, I have read that the cost of obtaining a new client is between USD$100 - $150. With lots of competition, marketing costs are very high. The recent SuperBowl commercial of GoDaddy cost USD$3M, but they know that was money well spent.

The only Reason is the Marketing. Some registrar offering that buy .com domain and get .info domain Free or lesser then the actual price.

I am sure that there is no reason to sell your domains at cheap rates. There are many ways to earn money in the net via them.
    You can Park your domain and get money.

Thanks for all the comments re selling cheap domains but do any of you think it's worth making a small loss in order to gain extra customers?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lerwick View Post
    I am sure that there is no reason to sell your domains at cheap rates. There are many ways to earn money in the net via them.
    You can Park your domain and get money.
    I think you misunderstand the questions. We're talking about selling domain names (i.e. if you wanted to register a domain) not selling domains we've already purchased.