8/16 channel DWDM 10 gigabit equiptment recommendations

I got a question for the community.
    What 8 or 16 channel DWDM equipment do you recommend and why? also an approximate cost indication would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    For 8 or 16 channel, you can go with much lesser expensive CWDM gear, instead of DWDM.
    Thanks for your input on this. I will be a little more specific.
    We have some CWDM and DWDM equiptment in production already, but we recently signed an agreement that will substantially increase the amount of fibers and routes we will have to put into production.
    Unfortunately, we sometimes have fairly large distances to bridge. So we already look into various fiber amplifier and DCM units.
    We are reasonably satisfied with the kit we are using currently on our fiber paths, but like some input from the community what they use and what their experience is with their kit.
    We are looking for quality gear at reasonable prices. But our first priority is quality and reliability.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    I got a question for the community.
    What 8 or 16 channel DWDM equipment do you recommend and why? also an approximate cost indication would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    In my old job in $corporate_land they used Adva FSP models only (i think it was 8x8 channels or something. I was just on the Unix & oncall side of it.

For a few years there was a lot of issues with their PSUs, those failed more often than the SFPs did, but it stopped with the last upgrade.
    My general impression was the monitoring was not strict enough, i.e. we had to open a case for a tech to come onsite and investigate till they finally noticed a SFP was low on power.
    That just to say I think the Adva gear appeared very good and it was just not perfectly maintained.

I'd recommend PacketLight for active DWDM kit - We're using the PL-1000E (8 Channel Version) at the moment on three routes and its excellent stuff. The management interface is easy to use with good reporting on health of other units, status of waves, etc and you can pull SNMP data for internal monitoring systems. If you're in the UK they also have a UK based support company that will do the initial setup/install and provide 24x7 on-site engineers with remote monitoring of the boxes through out-of-band ADSL.

For a fully loaded 8-channel box including 80KM DWDM optics and 850nm MM client side XFP optics you're probably looking at something around 25k a box.

Drop me a PM if you want some details on where we bought the kit or the support company.

Cheers,

David
    David Barker
    4D Data Centres - Independent UK based data centre operator http://www.4d-dc.com