Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostgator slow every 15 page loads

Hi,

I have recently decided to change my hosting provider to hostgator.com and I'm not sure if this was a good decision.

One of the domains hosted on their servers is http://netopi.com (however, this problem occurs on every domain hosted there).

For me (I'm from Poland) it is enough to reload my website 10 to 20 times to notice a serious slowdown (the website loads in ... 30 seconds, with only a few small files). And it is not because of slow execution time - the website executes in 0.4 sec. and it's very well optimized. And it's not about too many users/second - I can see only 2 or 3 processes running in my control panel.

The problem is with downloading files like .png, .jpg or .js.

When I contacted their tech support they said there is a problem "on my end", and I should contact my ISP. They also sent me a "proof" (which is a traceroute from my ip to their servers, below). So I mentioned this problem on a polish webhostingtalk alternative - webhostingtalk.pl, but I received too few answers - two of them said there was indeed a problem (one from UK, one from Belgium), but nobody told me how can I prove to hostgator that there really is a problem on their site (or maybe it's not).

I do understand that for 10$ per month I can't get a super-hiper fast website, but 30 seconds to load a website with a few files is way too long.

Can you please do some tests ( http://netopi.com ) and tell me how it's going? And then tell me what should I do about it? What should I say to hostgator.com when I'll contact them next time?

Here is an exception from the conversation with hostgator tech support (83.27.57.186 is my IP):

traceroute to 83.27.57.186 (83.27.57.186), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 a1.7f.7aae.static.theplanet.com (174.122.127.161) 0.558 ms 0.531 ms 0.519 ms
    2 te4-2.dsr01.dllstx2.networklayer.com (70.87.255.17) 0.407 ms 0.425 ms 0.463 ms
    3 te4-1.dsr01.dllstx3.networklayer.com (70.87.255.105) 0.612 ms 0.670 ms te4-4.dsr01.dllstx3.networklayer.com (70.87.255.117) 1.032 ms
    4 e4-2.ibr04.dllstx3.networklayer.com (70.87.255.33) 0.394 ms 0.447 ms 0.513 ms
    5 xe-8-1-0.edge4.Dallas3.Level3.net (4.59.32.29) 0.427 ms 0.428 ms te-3-4.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net (4.71.122.1) 0.910 ms
    6 ae-92-90.ebr2.Dallas1.Level3.net (4.69.145.243) 8.325 ms 8.189 ms 6.803 ms
    7 ae-3-3.ebr2.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.69.137.122) 35.886 ms 35.780 ms 35.696 ms
    8 ae-92-92.csw4.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.69.148.46) 37.044 ms 37.044 ms ae-72-72.csw2.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.69.148.38) 43.191 ms
    9 ae-2-79.edge2.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.68.16.80) 36.204 ms ae-1-69.edge2.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.68.16.16) 35.932 ms ae-2-79.edge2.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.68.16.80) 36.166 ms
    10 francetelecom-level3-te.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.68.111.86) 36.913 ms francetelecom-level3-te.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.68.111.82) 37.668 ms francetelecom-level3-xe.newyork1.Level3.net (4.68.63.134) 37.664 ms
    11 * * *
    12 xe-5-0-1-0.ffttr2.Frankfurt.opentransit.net (193.251.131.137) 119.750 ms 120.301 ms 162.394 ms
    13 * * *
    14 * * *
    15 * * *
    16 * * *
    17 *
    (10:38:16 AM) support: There is a bit of a loss on your end.
    (10:38:33 AM) support: The top is the server the bottom is you.
    (...)
    (10:41:47 AM) support: there is some connection issue between you and dallas texas.
    (10:41:47 AM) support: The isp will have to investigate.
    (10:41:56 AM) support: There might be a network issue with the isp.
    Sorry for this very long post, but please help me...

It looks like there are some network or routing issues between HG's servers and Europe. If this network issue is not fixed, your only choice will be to move away from their network to have the issue resolved.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

But maybe if I'll be able to prove that this is hostgator's fault, they will be able to change something?

I really paid great attention to choosing my new hosting provider, as I found out, hostgator is one of the best. I can't change hosting company everytime I find a problem Last time I did it, it was because of low uptime (but the service was much faster than hostgator). Now the uptime is OK, but I have another problem. Moving to a new hosting solution always means that my website is down for about two days.

Quote Originally Posted by konrados View Post
    But maybe if I'll be able to prove that this is hostgator's fault, they will be able to change something?
    They don't have much control over their upstream network provider so it is not too likely that they can just "change something" to make it work.

Moving to a new hosting solution always means that my website is down for about two days.
    May I know why does it cause your website to be down for two days? DNS propagation normally takes a couple of hours and at extreme cases I have seen 24 hours at most.

Moving to a new hosting solution always means that my website is down for about two days.
    You can migrate your website to another host with minimum or zero downtime. Many hosts offer free migration as well.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

But hostgator uses theplanet servers, isn't this the biggest dedicated server company in US?

Besides before going to hostgator I asked on this forum (webhostingtalk.com) about this service ( http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=992982 ) and I received many positive reviews, if this is not THE correct way of chosing hosting company, then what is?

And once again - how can I ensure this is "network or routing issues between HG's servers and Europe"? Can you tell me where are you from (what country) and whether you experience this problem? Because maybe going to VPS on hostgator could solve the problem?

ps. last time I changed servers, it tool exactly 48 hours to work, maybe it's because it was weekend.
    Last edited by konrados; 02-12-2011 at 07:42 AM.

The weekend has nothing to do with a nameservwr change. - propagation can take up to 72hrs to work correctly worldwide regardless of theday or time.

From what I read on your thread, people recommended Hostgator, though never mentioned network issues, you may want to ask Hostgator about this or as James mentioned consider searching for a provider closer to home.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

But hostgator uses theplanet servers, isn't this the biggest dedicated server company in US?
    Even if it is in a high class DC, the problem is how that company manage the server, support, configuration, etc...
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

consider searching for a provider closer to home
    But most of my users (I have a few more domains) are from US (about 55%), that's why I chose a US company. I did expect than in my country (Poland) as well as generally in Europe it will be slower by let's say 30%. I just did not expect it will take a minute to load a page. Especially that usually it takes two seconds to load, only from time to time it loads that long. Doesn't it prove that it's a server's problem, and not network router's?

If the site loads fine from anywhere else but loads slowly only from Europe, it is definitely a network routing issue. This is out of HG's control and may even be out of The Planet's control since it has something to do with their upstream network provider. The site loads fine on my end.

If the site loads fine from anywhere else but loads slowly only from Europe, it is definitely a network routing issue
    This is why I wanted to ask you, how it looks like from other parts of the world.

The site loads fine on my end
    May I know where you're from and how many times did you try to reload the page?

@net:
    Even if it is in a high class DC, the problem is how that company manage the server, support, configuration, etc
    But how can I know it's because of "how that company manage the server" and not because of network problems between US and Europe? I still want to know what to tell hostgator technical support.
    Last edited by konrados; 02-12-2011 at 09:19 AM.

If you are in Europe you'd better host your site in Europe.

May I know where you're from and how many times did you try to reload the page?
    I am from Asia and I tried to load your site multiple times without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by systemadminjobs View Post
    Maybe you should read properly before posting:-
    But most of my users (I have a few more domains) are from US (about 55%), that's why I chose a US company.

But my users are from both Europe (~>35%) and USA (55%). It doesn't matter where I am from...
    Edit: JLHC was faster

@systemadminjobs: Can you tell me where you're from and what's your experience with http://netopi.com?

I still don't know what to do
    Last edited by konrados; 02-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.

First, second and third time i loaded the page everything is normal. Fourth time i loaded the page it took a bit more than 1 minute to load. I am from Europe also.

Could be a networkproblem altough i havn't had any troubles before reaching sites hosted in ThePlanet. Maybe an oversold server (look up: 'unlimited doesn't excist') ?
    If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Same issue happened to me from Argentina, however, is not a problem of The Planet, since I tested with some sites that we host on the same datacenter and was unable to reproduce it, even after 20 refresh.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

@target, Jedito: thanks.

I found a list of websites hosted on hostgator.com ( http://support.hostgator.com/article...sites-you-host ) and tested most of the websites using the shared plan. None of them had a similar problem.

I'm not an experienced user. I think I'll just post this thread to hostgator's tech support, and I'll what's next.

But I'd be grateful for other reports

I know this post might not be useful but why not go on the hostgator live chat

@target, Jedito: thanks.
    Let us know how it works out

I know this post might not be useful but why not go on the hostgator live chat
    As I said, I was there. They have sent me a traceroute, which was supposed to prove that it is my ISP's fault. That's why I'm here.

Iam from germany, and dont have problem with your site speed.
    When they use Cloudlinux, maybe you use to much resources than needs more time to load an site.

Having tried to load the page numerous time, I'd say that once in ~20 attempts leads to a ~20-40 seconds delay in connecting to the page or elements in the page. Firebug suggests it is a DNS resolving issue, because that's the stage where the delay occurs.

The problem could be Europe specific, as I'm located in Romania, so US and other visitors might not be affected.

I've tested a site I own and host with Hostgator, but I see no such issue. So, the problem could be server or data center specific, as Hostgator uses more than 1 datacenter from ThePlanet. It is thus likely that more than 1 host is affected by this.

162ms latency as we see in the traceroute you posted is not something odd for US to EU connections, IMHO. It would certainly not lead to 20-40 seconds delays. This seems to be an on and off issue, and it would probably take quite a few more than one or two traceroutes to catch it in action. Try to do that.

There's no harm in enlisting the help of your ISP to get to the bottom of this.

@ldcdc: thanks.

Report #1 : I contacted hostagor's tech support. I was told a few times that "everything's fine". When I explained that it's not and that's is not only my opinion, I was told that I can contact them via email and ask for changing the server, which is what I'm going to do, but without much hope.

I'm quite tired of this. Do you know any hosting company, offering shared hosting for 5-15$ per month, having no issues with speed, response time and uptime, even if used around the world?

@ldcdc: thanks.

Report #1 : I contacted hostagor's tech support. I was told a few times that "everything's fine". When I explained that it's not and that's is not only my opinion, I was told that I can contact them via email and ask for changing the server, which is what I'm going to do, but without much hope.

I'm quite tired of this. Do you know any hosting company, offering shared hosting for 5-15$ per month, having no issues with speed, response time and uptime, even if used around the world?
    Maybe u could tell how much u really need and search for a limited in stead of an unlinimted company.

Maybe u could tell how much u really need and search for a limited in stead of an unlinimted company
    I really don't need too much, about 40GB bandwidth/month and about 15GB of disk space. The websites are visited by about 8000 unique visitors per day, but the scripts are very simple and well optimized (no joomla or anything like that).

Loaded fine for me, clicked refresh a few times and then in my browser (firefox) I could see in the botom left google-analytics was taking it's time to load.

Have you tried refreshing the page without google analytics installed?

Yes, I tested it without any external files, without php or database in use, I even created a simple html+js only page: http://www.netopi.com/tests/speedTest/ which automatically finds the problem But you need to refresh more than "a few times" - at least 15 or 20 are needed.

If this type of problems are coming we cannot blame every time on hosting company, there is some other factors are also there that is responsible for slow down or down.
    Other factors may be network or routing. Before taking any decision to change hosting company one should check with the company first, if they failed to fixed it then only one can take decision to change it.

Many, but I suggest you to give them another opportunity to rectify this, since the job to move to another host it's going to be even more than to change of server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I did notice Google Analytics taking a while to load too, but it wasn't the main cause of unresponsiveness at the time.

The site is now working fine for me (the resolving issue seems to be gone), but I did notice the Google Analytics script causing the page not to render for 5-10 seconds a couple of times.

I was told that I can contact them via email and ask for changing the server, which is what I'm going to do, but without much hope.
    If you could make sure you end up in a different data center, that would increase the chances of getting rid of the problem. Though as far as I can see, it is already gone.

Only flaw in me thinking Google Analytics possibly slowing down site is that his speed test page doesn't contain google analytics.

Hmmm...
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

Do you have a ticket number I can take a look at on this to see if we can help figure out what's going on? It could be one of many different factors at play with the least likely being the server.

Also something else to keep in mind is that if you refresh the site many times in a row our flood protection is going to kick in and cause a delay which appears to be the case for some of the people testing here.

@UKDirectHost : that's right, the page I'm testing doesn't contain any external scripts.

@hostgator.com : the ticket number is DCR-14722292
    Indeed I hit the apache flood rule, but only 4 times, when in fact I was doing the tests the entire day, and I saw downtimes many, many times. I see it even now, without makin any specific tests, just visiting the webiste.

in fact I was doing the tests the entire day, and I saw downtimes many, many times.
    Technically though, this can't really be considered downtime. The server is surely up and running and accessible from other regions in the world.

Technically though, this can't really be considered downtime
    Yes, I know, it's because of my english. Now when I looked at a dictionary I found a better word: lag ( a situation when downloading file(s) is much longer than you can expect, e.g. downloading a 2.8KB file in 50 seconds).

Wow, that is some hard core lag
    Indeed

can we see a traceroute during these "slow" times
    Generally traceroute looks fine, which was confirmed also by hostgator's customer support. But it's very difficult to "catch" a traceroute during the "slow" time, because it happens once per, let's say, 15 refreshes of a page containing, let's say 20 images. That would give a lag every 15*20=300 file. This is easy to see on a page (which stops loading) but catching it via traceroute would be difficult

ps. I almost decided to change the host company, but now I'm rather decided to get VPS on hostgator, I really hope this will solve the problem. We'll see...

I believe we may have solved the problem you were having. Can you confirm it's looking better for you now? If not please respond back to the ticket and we can continue troubleshooting. Thanks!!

Hi,

As I responded to the ticket, the problem isn't solved (however it seemed to be OK for a while), on the other hand, on the newly purchased VPS level 1, the test has been going for hours now, without a single issue ( http://50.22.94.187/ ).

It's just that my knowledge is probably not enough to manage a VPS without cpanel
    That would be perfect, if you could offer some easy way to manage an account (like in cpanel) on VPS

My one friend is also facing same problem with Hostgator. However he face this problem when his blog traffic increase or he upload or download heavy files in his server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast