Building a shared hosting server

Hello,

What are other people using for shared hosting servers.

In the past, I've used a Quad Core processor, 8 GB ram, hardware raid 1 (2x2TB) and single 2TB for backups with cPanel.

I've found that the sites that are created these days are more dynamic and require more cpu/memory/i/o than ever before.

I'm about to create another one and here's the spec:

2 Quad Core CPUs
    16GB memory
    Raid 1 2x250GB SSDs for operating system/MySQL
    Raid 10 4x2TB Nearline Seagate SAS for data directory /home
    Raid 0 2x250GB SSDs (LSI with CacheCade for faster reads)

This will need to be 2U instead of 1U I've used before.

Need operating system that supports TRIM for SSDs so thinking of Redhat 6 or when Centos 6 comes out.

What do you guys think? Overkill? Any suggestions appreciated.

SSDs might be overkill. Most people don't go with them because they can't justify the incredibly high cost per gig compared to SATA or even SAS.
    Many will just throw SATA drives in, but I would definitely use SAS at least for the DBs, maybe SATA for /home.

For around $4,500 you can configure a 2u with 4x opteron 8 core 6128s, a couple sas drives, a couple sata drives, and 32gb of ram at acmemicro.com. I'm planning on getting one of those next time I need to upgrade.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

For most shared hosting, you will be better using more SATA drives to build a larger RAID10 array (for example, 16 drives instead of 4) instead of using SSD drives. The SSD drives deliver awesome performance, but the cost per gigabyte is usually too high to be competitive in the shared hosting market. If you do decide to use SSD drives, make sure to market that feature to potential customers so you can justify the higher cost.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Another option is a small cluster of 2 1U servers. Load balance/proxy and share the drives between then. Slightly specialize each one (tho leave them general enough to take over in an emergency) as DB host, one as static file server, both doing php etc.
    More complex setup but some backup/redundancy comes with it.
    Cloud Pixies Ltd. Adding some Pixie magic into the Cloud!

I think this server can run upto 5k sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx LL View Post
    Completely depends how active the websites are.

Also... having all your eggs in one basket can potentially be a problem should anything go wrong with the server
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoC View Post
    Another option is a small cluster of 2 1U servers. Load balance/proxy and share the drives between then. Slightly specialize each one (tho leave them general enough to take over in an emergency) as DB host, one as static file server, both doing php etc.
    More complex setup but some backup/redundancy comes with it.
    this would be a great idea, because i know there are quite a few sites (probably even WHT) that uses numerous servers to balance the load so as to not burn up one server entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx LL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iTom View Post
    Completely depends how active the websites are.

Also... having all your eggs in one basket can potentially be a problem should anything go wrong with the server

yes, having all of your eggs in one basket can be an issue, however, sometimes the need to have only one server might be feasible because of costs. plus, there is always the virtualization aspect to everything where you can run numerous instances of OSes on one single server. just an idea.

Costs are much lower if you consolidate most of your stuff into a smaller quantity of servers.
    Each server carries licensing costs, power/space costs (if colocating), and perhaps highest of all is the time/costs associated with managing the server itself.

People say don't put all your eggs in one basket, but by getting two servers you're cutting the damage in half if one goes down, but you have twice the hardware and therefore twice the possibility of failure.
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting

A statement like costs are lower for single versus a cluster, is too simple. Clusters done right, can get you things that costs a lot in a single server.
    Clusters done wrong, will cost you a lot and give you nothing extra.

I'm not talking about clusters here, I'm talking about single isolated servers that are completely independent from each other. For example if I'm doing shared hosting and I get 5 low spec servers, that will cost me much more than buying one single high spec server, since I have to pay power, space, licensing, and management fees for 5 servers versus 1.

But shared hosting is separated by definition, so you can use a cluster easily where it makes sense.
    In many cases you're right, a single high powered server make better sense, however in some cases a small cluster of low powered servers might be appropriate.