Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Server down several times per day - is it normal?

My current web hosting down about 3-4times per day. Each time takes about 5-10minutes, sometimes up to 1hour. I don't know if this is normal for every web hosting out there. Please share your experience.

I would say NO, that is not normal! Definitely sounds like there is an issue, have you contacted your provider about it? Is the server still accessible from other locations when this happens, just wondering if it's an isolated issue or server-wide.
    ElicitServers - Canadian hosting dedicated customer satisfaction! Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedi/Colo
    100% redundant, 100% owned/maintained, GigE connectivity
    Offsite backups, 24/7 support (1-877-533-8993), 30-day money back | cPanel hosting

That might be caused by server load or Firewall. It's not normal. You could ask your host for the reason.

This most definitiely is not normal. Hosting accounts should only ever go offline for scheduled maintance and that shouldn't be a few times per day. There is something wrong.

I would recommend you contact your current provider and ask them for a reason as to why your site is going down all of the time. But well no matter what reason they give you, there is no excuse for that to happen.

I would recommend you start looking at a new provider if your current one doesn't fix this up quickly.

Tranix You should check your site uptime here

if it is under 90% uptime, you better consider to ask for refund.
    iiWebHost.com - good webhosting
    ★ VPS , Dedicated Servers
    ★ Website : http://www.iiwebhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alexishost View Post

90%! Thats over a months worth of downtime a year

Unless your host has a good explanation and they already know about the problem then maybe think about staying but other than that, move host.
    █ | Brad - Hoopla Hosting - Email or add me to Gtalk! brad [at] hooplahosting.com
    █ | Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare
    █ | VPS - SolusVM - E3-1230 - RAID10 - 1Gbit

Who is your current provider? Have you contacted them about this and if you have what did they have to say?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

it is abnormal and there seems to be problem with dns setup if at least web server is Ok. Check with your web host
    HostASP.NET offers Affordable, Reliable ASP.NET Web hosting India / USA | Linux plans, Hyper-V Virtual dedicated servers (VPS)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexishost View Post

90% is way to low for sure.

This is far from normal, just switch host.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranix View Post
    My current web hosting down about 3-4times per day. Each time takes about 5-10minutes, sometimes up to 1hour. I don't know if this is normal for every web hosting out there. Please share your experience.
    No, that is not normal.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Monitor the website for the uptime. Your host's server might be having some problems. Ask them to fix the server.

so, did you say 3-4times a day or a year? if you go for the 1st one, then you should see all the replies above me

Contact your hosting company about that issue or change company if they do not cooperate with you regarding that issue.
    It is not normal at all.

I have faced this problem with dollar2host.com. It is not normal even it is hosting provider weak server. My sites also slow down each day. I have discussed with them many time but they did not give solution and finally I changed hosting company.

Are you sure that the site is down and not that your IP gets blocked?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Are you sure that the site is down and not that your IP gets blocked?
    Seriously? Why would his IP get randomly blocked 3/4 times a day?

Maybe firewall issues, for example several checks on the e-mail inbox could cause that your IP results blocked. I guess its this directive LT_POP3D
    Whitesystem.NET, INC. root [at] whitesystem.net
    Native SSD True CLOUD cPanel-based Shared, Reseller (root access!) Hosting.
    LiteSpeedLow Populated Servers7 Years Hosting Experience
    Fast and Friendly multilingual (Spanish and English) Support www.whitesystem.net

Quote Originally Posted by UKCore | Josh A View Post
    Seriously? Why would his IP get randomly blocked 3/4 times a day?
    Depending on how the server firewall is configured, it could easily happen. It's not yet been made clear if it's downtime everybody could see (i.e. host-tracker.com sees it down too) or if it's just down for the OP.

No that's not normal, your host shouldnt be going down this much, it should happen rarely. If thins keeps happening, take a backup of your site, and switch asap.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Depending on how the server firewall is configured, it could easily happen. It's not yet been made clear if it's downtime everybody could see (i.e. host-tracker.com sees it down too) or if it's just down for the OP.
    Now you say it, that's true - apologies! I'll have to sit back and wait for the OP to respond to let us know wheither it is just his end (routing issue) or the host/network themselves with their upstream provider.

That's pathetic! Do they play with the server all day?

No, this is not normal. Did you contact your host regarding this issue?
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Here are the results that I have been tracking since Jan 30 2011.

Locations:
    Amsterdam 2, Netherlands
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Chicago, IL
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Dallas 4, TX
    Dallas 5, TX
    Dallas 6, TX
    Denver, CO
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Herndon, VA
    Houston 3, TX
    Las Vegas, NV
    London 2, UK
    London, UK
    Los Angeles, CA
    Madrid, Spain
    Manchester, UK
    Montreal, Canada
    New York, NY
    Paris, France
    San Francisco, CA
    Seattle, WA
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tampa, Florida
    Washington, DC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails downtime.jpg  

Well, then there is a serious problem. Have they contacted you via e-mail maybe or announcements explaining what happened?
    Whitesystem.NET, INC. root [at] whitesystem.net
    Native SSD True CLOUD cPanel-based Shared, Reseller (root access!) Hosting.
    LiteSpeedLow Populated Servers7 Years Hosting Experience
    Fast and Friendly multilingual (Spanish and English) Support www.whitesystem.net

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ws View Post
    Well, then there is a serious problem. Have they contacted you via e-mail maybe or announcements explaining what happened?
    The rep. said there was no downtime in the past 12 days. I never received their emails regarding server downtime/reboot or whatsoever.

Thats not normal, I would ask for refund

I've sent them the downtime screenshot four hours ago but haven't responded to my email yet.

I share the others members opinion. I have seen hundred of servers online being online for months without a single minute of downtime.

The rep. said there was no downtime in the past 12 days. I never received their emails regarding server downtime/reboot or whatsoever.
    If you have shell access I would run the "uptime" command to see if the server has physically been online without being rebooted/shut down. If that's the case chances are the server is just grossly overloaded and is getting to the point of being unresponsive.

You can also run things like "sar -q" and "top c" to be able to see the current load and load history... You *may* not be able to access "sar" but you should be able to access "top" to see the current server load among other statistics.

That is not normal in any aspect. if that happened for 2 or 3 days you can just go on with your host if you are happey with their support and all but if that is a regular thing happening there, then just forget it and find a new host for yourself at the offers section on WHT.

Good Luck
    FLIPPER HOST Budget VPS, Resellers & Shared Linux Hosting
    cPanel/WHM, Solus VM, RV Site Builder Pro, Fantastico & Softaculous
    24x7 Heroic Ticketing and Live Chat
    Flipper Host is an Invest Lion Company

It is not normal. maybe the server is over sold and is hitting it's limit. Take a backup and move to another provider, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgill View Post
    I have the same problem with my server. i have changed my server to bluehost. Now its fine.
    Can you please report your domains and or server ip to mods here so that they can verify?
    FLIPPER HOST Budget VPS, Resellers & Shared Linux Hosting
    cPanel/WHM, Solus VM, RV Site Builder Pro, Fantastico & Softaculous
    24x7 Heroic Ticketing and Live Chat
    Flipper Host is an Invest Lion Company

You should really contact your hosting provider about this issue,because its most likely their fault.

It sounds like your provider might be having trouble managing their data/servers. Try doing some competitor research - often if companies around them know what's going on, they are more likely to offer a good deal to switch you over. At any rate, back up your data and start looking now.

No this is not normal. There might be some support problem or the server is overloaded. Please check for some other hosting company.

They refused to refund the money that I paid for a whole year. I've addressed them the issues why I have to leave their company but they just stick to their policy.

Unfortunately without a strict policy, companies would get walked on. Something that is at their fault, they should be able to do something about though...Just my thought.
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanel® Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Stream101 View Post
    Unfortunately without a strict policy, companies would get walked on. Something that is at their fault, they should be able to do something about though...Just my thought.
    I called their customer service and requested to talk to the manager but the manager wasn't at his desk. The person on the phone was telling me to call back in an hour. So I did, but the phone number is no longer in service. I thought, they have blocked my number.

That sounds terrible!

Really sorry to hear you are having such issues with your provider. I would recommend to get backup of your files immediately, and continue to ask them to solve the problem.

Have you checked and double checked that the faults you are currently undergoing is not in any way your fault? Ie. Wireless box not working properly? Or your internet connection being saturated, or another reason?

If it is the provider' fault for being down several times a day (which it is most likely)... I would really consider the move, despite having paid them money. Its better to lose a bit and be hosted well rather than have the constant headache with your host!

Hope it gets sorted out!

Best.
    XelionOne
    Simple | Professional | Reliable
    Shared, Reseller, ShoutCast & Dedicated Hosting
    http://xelionone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast