Power Calculation Help

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what power would cost me in a small town for a POP site. Their calculator calls for monthly demand in KW and monthly usage in kWh.

How much would a standard 120 Volt, 20 AMP circuit pull for these two calculations? I know Volts X AMP = Watts, so 20 X 120= 2400Watt= 2.4 KW right? So I know what to put in the KW field, but I don't understand what value I would put in the monthly usage in kWh field?

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLC23 View Post
    How much would a standard 120 Volt, 20 AMP circuit pull for these two calculations? I know Volts X AMP = Watts, so 20 X 120= 2400Watt= 2.4 KW right? So I know what to put in the KW field, but I don't understand what value I would put in the monthly usage in kWh field?
    The usage should be a bit less, since you shouldn't be pulling more than 16A on a 20A circuit. KWh is just kilowatt-hours, and there are 720 hours in a 30-day month, so you just multiply it by 720.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

multiplying 16 amps by 120 volts and then by 31*24 hours and then dividing by 1000 gives you an upper bound in kWh. But that is just an upper bound. It is a bad estimate for the monthly usage. You would grossly over-estimate your usage this way. (Less importantly, amps multiplied by volts is not really watts, that's a bit inaccurate, but you can ignore this point).

Do you know what equipment you would be using? It would be much better to base your estimates on that. Why don't you buy a cheap watt-o-meter device. You plug it into a wall socket, plug your server into the watt-o-meter, and operate the server normally for 24 hours on a "typical" day. Then multiply the device reading by 30.5, and this gives you a good estimate for the server's monthly usage.

Is a UPS provided, or do you need to install your own?
    If doing your own UPSs you will need to account to the associated overhead.
    Also, look into local/state/utility taxes and fees, they can add up