Software As A Service using VPS

Dear all,

I want to start my business renting software to customers. The problem is, I don't know how to go about it.

I have agreed with another company that I will rent their software to end customers. In order to do that, I believe a VPS is best suited for this role since I'm new to the business. Anyway, I want my customers to access my software online (hosted software) rather than downloading the software to their computer.

Can someone tell me the step by step procedures on what I have to do i.e. build a website, purchase a server etc.

Thank you

Build a website, purchase a server, and integrate the software you're renting with some type of billing system to manage customer signups/etc. Then design your public facing site that will make the sales for you.

It's an oversimplification, but that's an outline of what you need.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

How much time did you put towards researching this? Your question sounds more on the business-side which you should have planned or are going to plan out.

If you're just asking about what kind of VPS to get, we would need to know a bit more about the type of software this is.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    How much time did you put towards researching this? Your question sounds more on the business-side which you should have planned or are going to plan out.

If you're just asking about what kind of VPS to get, we would need to know a bit more about the type of software this is.
    That's what I was thinking, it's one of those questions - if you don't know how to answer it, I don't think you should go into business. As harsh as that may be, that's how I feel.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

Hi,

I want to rent microsoft word and I thought using a VPS is affordable, acts as a dedicated server. I won't be sharing traffic with other users.

Would you recommend that I use a shared server to begin with than upgrade to VPS if I were getting a lot more customers?

Thanks

Just curious if you've done your market research. Why would anyone rent Microsoft Word when there's Google Docs for free? There's also OpenOffice for free as well.

Hmmmm.... not to say you don't have this done already - but if you're going to rent Microsoft Word online, I would think you would need to have some special licensing in place? I suppose that's besides the point and off-topic, but I wonder how various VPS providers would view this situation - would they require licensing proof? After all, they're ultimately the ones hosting it...