Hosted Nameservers

I've been using my own server and domain to host my own sites and nameserver, the servers been going down a bit lately (thats another story) and i'm wondering what you would suggest for hosting my nameserver ns1.mysite.com ns2.mysite.com externally.. it would be a pain (and borderline impossible) to contact alot of the owners of the domain names and have nameserver information changed so i'd really preffer to keep the scema as is.. is this a difficult task 80 sites later ? I'm no expert but i've winged it for a pretty long while.

use Child name server to configure your nameserver

I do not know, but in my opinion that would be better for you if you change your web hosting services. (find another provider)

Is your DNS server and webserver hosted on same physical server? If yes, I would suggest if you move your domain's DNS service to be hosted elsewhere as DNS service or "named" services quite resource consuming sometimes. I think most hosting provider will provide for free DNS hosting.

My DNS server and webserver IS located on the same physical server and 'named' does fail.. i'm totally willing to take dns service off especially since reading around it looks like its a good practice.. would i be able to keep my naming schema (ns1.mymaindomain.com ns2.mymaindomain.com) ?
    of course tech support at my dedicated box says "get a new server" lol

Just point your ns1 and ns2 to another server.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

ok.. the reason i'm asking is pretty much because there are like 70 domains on the server that are all set up for ns1 and ns2.mymaindomain.com .. i really don't want to contact all of them and have them make the change in their registrars.. so what i'm asking is if i can use my domain with the services of an external nameserver that'll point to my whm/cpanel box .. i hope i'm explaining my goal properly :/

The named service failing is not good. You're going to have service issues even with externally hosted nameserver records. The root issue if the failing named must be addressed.

They don't have to, that's what I'm saying. Take ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com and point them to the new server.
    If you're using cpanel you can set up cpanel dnsonly to replicate your dns zones to another server (could be a $10-20 vps). This is what I do.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

There are plenty of companies in the hosted dns game.. even amazon now. Or you can find a company that will do private label dns hosting so you can keep your ns1 and ns2.yourdomain.com..

Quote Originally Posted by kiwami View Post
    ok.. the reason i'm asking is pretty much because there are like 70 domains on the server that are all set up for ns1 and ns2.mymaindomain.com .. i really don't want to contact all of them and have them make the change in their registrars.. so what i'm asking is if i can use my domain with the services of an external nameserver that'll point to my whm/cpanel box .. i hope i'm explaining my goal properly :/
    The easy solution is to just get a VPS somewhere remote from your server (maybe pick a location where a substantial portion of your hits come from, or somewhere with great connectivity), install cPanel-DNS-Only (which is free) so it becomes a slave server, and add it into the cluster config of your existing cPanel/WHM server.

Then all you need do is change the IP of your NS2 at the registry to the VPS IP. No changes to individual domains are needed.

This way you build in some redundancy and it involves the minimum of work and changes

I dont think you understand what he means. I think he means each domain has their dns pointed at ns1.customerdomain.com ns2.customerdomain.com and not ns1.hisdomain.com ns2.hisdomain.com

Im curious why your named is failing also.. have you checked /var/log/messages?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemer View Post
    I dont think you understand what he means. I think he means each domain has their dns pointed at ns1.customerdomain.com ns2.customerdomain.com and not ns1.hisdomain.com ns2.hisdomain.com
    I read it as the reverse ... "I've been using my own server and domain to host my own sites and nameserver <<SNIP>> and i'm wondering what you would suggest for hosting my nameserver ns1.mysite.com ns2.mysite.com"

Quote Originally Posted by bluemer View Post
    Im curious why your named is failing also.. have you checked /var/log/messages?
    Me too, but I thought I'd stick to the request for a solution (for now)

@F-DNS you're correct.. i'm providing my information (ns1.MYsite.com) to everybody.. so thats waht they punch into godaddy etc.. thats why the private label idea is so important..

@blumer umm.. WOW idk if what i'm looking at is healthy/normal but
    named[21415]: lame server resolving 'wWw.PrODUctS4moBile.cOm' (in 'products4mobile.com'?):
    hundreds of those.. thousands really (i don't host those domains).. does this mean that my box IS trying to resolve for somebody outside/malicious or is just an attempt? This would explain the sudden spike / fail's.. I relied on my hosts 'tech support' (who are USUALLY great) in resolving issues.. I should have know that restarting the box on every failure.. and when i say something was wrong "server was overloaded, you need a better cpu and ram" could never be a propper answer :/

Try setting up two different servers for your name servers. It is best practice to keep them separate and use one of many systems out there to replicate the dns to both. Probably best if you use a control panel solution which can integrate that as well.
    MetaSEO - 1.855.METASEO (638.2736)
    Internet Marketing Services - Search Engine Optimization
    ASK A SEO QUESTION - Our SEO Gurus answer all your SEO questions.

@F-DNS you're correct.. i'm providing my information (ns1.MYsite.com) to everybody.. so thats waht they punch into godaddy etc.. thats why the private label idea is so important..
    OK, so going shopping for a little but decent VPS would sort that out and become your NS2 - cPanel-DNS-Only needs 256Mb or more to run. If you go a little larger and some disk space you could also send backups to the VPS otherwise it's not exactly going to be overworked

hundreds of those.. thousands really (i don't host those domains)
    Can you post the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf please?

@F-DNS here you go.. I like your vps solution oh BOLTON! that's why you're so cool, a pretty good friend of mine plays for the Bolton Wanderers
    Here's my resolv.conf
    options rotate
    nameserver 69.xx.xxx.10
    nameserver 69.xx.xxx.14
    nameserver 69.xx.xxx.101

a pretty good friend of mine plays for the Bolton Wanderers
    We all have our crosses to bear

OK, 2 things ...

1) Save that resolv.conf somewhere temporarily and try this in it's place for a day or so and see if all those strange log entries reduce:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4
    2) Check your main domain in http://www.intodns.com and look at the comment regarding recursive lookups - It's around the 7th or 8th line down. It should say:

Recursive Queries Good. Your nameservers (the ones reported by the parent server) do not report that they allow recursive queries for anyone.
    If it doesn't you need to go into your /etc/named.conf and turn recursion off.

Let us know how it looks after that

okie dokes.. thanks .. i've made the change and will report shortly

If you are looking to setup custom nameservers then contact your host and see if they have an addon. If not, then I am not sure. they may be able to tell you how to do it.

Hmm.. I get
    I could use the nameservers listed below to performe recursive queries. It may be that I am wrong but the chances of that are low. You should not have nameservers that allow recursive queries as this will allow almost anyone to use your nameservers and can cause problems. Problem record(s) are:
    Regardless, I like the VPS idea so i'm going to have that set up today