Angry What should happen if my host goes down.

What should i do?? My host "hosthunger" has gone down. have had no communication from them to tell me that there down also there site and my site has gone down completly. have recently had them keep blocking my ip supposedly due to imap failures (not been using any email to be honest.

What should i do??

I found another thread here on WHT with contact details: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1004234 - a few @gmail addresses you could try.

- Good Luck

How long have they been down? Good luck contacting them through those gmails.
    ||||
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    ||||

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarie View Post
    What should i do?? My host "hosthunger" has gone down. have had no communication from them to tell me that there down also there site and my site has gone down completly. have recently had them keep blocking my ip supposedly due to imap failures (not been using any email to be honest.

What should i do??
    To answer your "what should I do?" question, I would rephrase it as "What should you do differently next time?".

It's a real good idea to set up your own form of redundancy, regardless of what you might think your provider can offer in terms of redundancy.

I'd suggestion mirroring your data at another facility in the event something like this occurs, you can insure you have some type of fall over.

Murphy's Law applies to all in this industry.
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

Well, hopefully they'll be back online soon.

To add onto what Jeremy above me said...

Always, ALWAYS keep your own backups. Even if your host claims to backup your data, things do, and things will happen.

Remember, behind your website are physical, tangible machines and equipment. Like all electronics, things are prone to failure and malfunctions. Its up to your provider to mitigate these issues and make downtime as uncommon as possible, but downtime is a fact of life and something every host has here and there.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

From the server status on their website it does show their server is down. How long has it been since you tried to contact them so submit a support ticket?

http://www.hosthunger.com/billing/serverstatus.php
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

It could just be that your IP was blocked from their firewall again. Have you tried accessing your website from a different IP address?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Also, for future refrence, here are a couple websites that can help you determine if the problem is local (with your IP/computer) or if its global (with your web hosting provider)

http://downorisitjustme.com/
    http://host-tracker.com/?sdm=1
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Most certainly any hosting company should never go down.. if the site is down, either the server is down or they didnt pay their dues. hopefully in this case the server is down rather then them not paying their dues because that usually leads to one thing.. closure.

In my case what i would do, because i believe in a solid host. Is find a new host. i'm not saying that because i want them to lose business, but im saying that because as for someone who owns a business i want my business to be running. So if they cant supply that to me then i would start searching for something more reliable. and im sorry you're going through this, ive never been through it, im sure it sucks real bad too. Can you at least get your files?

Always keep your own backups and dont rely on a web host.

How long has it been down?
    Hydro Host Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

Look for their social networking profiles, if any like twitter and facebook.

try to contact them via there any messenger or email id if you have any. Or if they have any forum then try to contact them in that forum

A lot of hosts are active on Twitter now. You could try contacting them there (or via any other social networking sites they may be on).

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Also, for future refrence, here are a couple websites that can help you determine if the problem is local (with your IP/computer) or if its global (with your web hosting provider)

http://downorisitjustme.com/
    http://host-tracker.com/?sdm=1
    Just one more website of similar nature.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

I also strongly doubt that it could be just an IP block again.

I just came across this thread. OP was having issues in their outlook / mail configuration & his IP was getting blocked by the server as mail client was connecting using wrong password.

The issue has been sorted out now.
    Low Cost Reliable Hosting Since 2008
    Master Reseller Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdreamz View Post
    I just came across this thread. OP was having issues in their outlook / mail configuration & his IP was getting blocked by the server as mail client was connecting using wrong password.

You do a permanent block for POP3 attempts? If you're using CSF, you can configure it to temporarily block the IP for the remainder of the hour. I've found that's a better solution, especially with the mobile devices that people are syncing with their accounts (they often take a day or so to get them configured).

You lose everything unless you have a backup.

Not being able to get in touch with your host when your site goes down is incredibly frustrating. Some hosts have Twitter accounts and tweet regularly when the site goes down. I experienced downtime with a host and their telephone lines were down and I couldn't submit a ticket because that was down too. But they were on Twitter giving updates every few minutes which offered some relief from the frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdreamz View Post

Its good to know that problems is sorted out, but I would recommend you to create your social network profiles so that clients can contact you while they are unable to access your site or in any other issues.

Social network sites seem to work for support and announcements. As well as this forum too! Social sites and WHT are both very visible by many people so the good hosts make sure to be responsive so they don't get a bad reputation.