How does VPS work?

Hello,

Sorry for the question but how does VPS exactly work from a hosting providers view. Do you get a dedicated box and server the VPS on there. For example can you have 5 VPS on one dedicated box.

Is there software for like a main admin where you can allocate space and bandwidth for the VPS account?

If somebody could clear this up, that woudl be awesome.

Thanks

Hello,

To answer your question, yes, you would buy a dedicated server and use software like OpenVZ, Xen, Citrix Xenserver, etc to split it up into many servers. You can put as many VPS's as you want on the server as long as it can handle it, usually people overdo it though and put too many VPS's on it because they forget that IO will be the bottleneck more than likely.

If you're looking for a all-in-one panel, look at SolusVM or OnApp. Both are fabulous, OnApp will cost you a pretty penny on the whole setup even if you do a shared SAN but is becoming more normal and runs some of the largest cloud companies ie VPS.net
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

Thanks for clarifying this. What is cloud?

Thanks

There's so many definitions of "cloud" it's just stupid.

I'll define it the way I view the cloud. In short, and in my eyes, it's building an infrastructure that is high availability, high uptime, and fast. That means eliminating almost all single points of failure so it's finally achievable to get 99.99% uptime over the long run.

Thanks, do you think this will see an end to shared, reseller, vps and dedicated packages?

Nope, there will always be the demand for those. Plus, there's never going to be a way to get rid of shared hosting since shared hosting can be built on top of the cloud infrastructure. Same with reseller and whatnot. It's just never going to replace the above I think.

can i ask a question too? XD
    umm.. so a VPS is just a part of a Dedicated server...

Is a dedicated server the same with the CPU of a desktop pc?
    how much RAM could they put on that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by shinjikenny View Post

Ask as many questions as you can think of! That's what WHT is for.

To answer your question, it really depends what they built their server out of.

Yes, a VPS is part of a server..

For example, one of our XenServer pools is a pair of Dell r710s attached to a storage array. Through the XenCenter software, you can create a new VPS - assigning it available cpu/memory/storage.

If one of the 710s has 5 unsold cpus and 10gb ram, then we'd assign however many is sold on the plan (2 cpu, 4gb ram lets say) that particular 710 would now have 3 unsold cpu and 6 unsold gb ram. You then give it a chuck of the storage array and it uses that as its hard drive.

"Larry's" VPS would not dip into your VPS on the same server.. he's got 1gb ram but should get 2gb.. his site will run slow

Down the road, add more ram to it, storage, cpu, etc..

That's one example..

Quote Originally Posted by kprojects View Post
    Yes, a VPS is part of a server..

For example, one of our XenServer pools is a pair of Dell r710s attached to a storage array. Through the XenCenter software, you can create a new VPS - assigning it available cpu/memory/storage.

If one of the 710s has 5 unsold cpus and 10gb ram, then we'd assign however many is sold on the plan (2 cpu, 4gb ram lets say) that particular 710 would now have 3 unsold cpu and 6 unsold gb ram. You then give it a chuck of the storage array and it uses that as its hard drive.

"Larry's" VPS would not dip into your VPS on the same server.. he's got 1gb ram but should get 2gb.. his site will run slow

Down the road, add more ram to it, storage, cpu, etc..

That's one example..
    if a vps provider says that the vps has 1.5Ghz CPU, does that mean I am the only one who will be using that? or is it shared to other vps on that server?

if a vps provider says that the vps has 1.5Ghz CPU, does that mean I am the only one who will be using that? or is it shared to other vps on that server?
    Technically visualization system limit only CPU usage time. If hardware server has 4Ghz and VPS 1.5Ghz CPU. Kernel try to calculate how often you process can use part of 4Ghz.

For OpenVZ provider oversell CPU, 4Gzh parent can include 10 VPS with 1Ghz.