What made you choose the niche you in?

Hi,

I wonder, how do you guys chose the niches you are selling your hosting services in?

how did you find it and why?

Thanks,
    Solo
    IVORY HOST - Affordable Hosting

You just think of the niche, it involves having creativity and whatnot.

Using a real world example, like my old company. I saw the lack of affordable Gigabit VPS's. I tapped into that market by
    1) Understanding the need for an affordable VPS provider that offered gigabit ports
    2) Grabbed an easy name - GigeVPS. It was simple to remember and just reading it you instantly knew what we offered
    3) Just advertised and used word of mouth.

Never underestimate the power of word of mouth.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

not an easy task if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by solokkhz View Post
    Definitely not, which is why it can be hard to succeed in any industry that's as saturated as web hosting.
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by TheHostGenie View Post
    Definitely not, which is why it can be hard to succeed in any industry that's as saturated as web hosting.
    Absolutely, that's why not everyone will succeed at business. It's what sets successful business owners apart from everyone else in the world, not only can some people not stomach the chance for loss but also the fact that many people can not be creative enough to find a niche.

I had an idea for a niche but it gone down the drain because the market is not legal in most countries. Still i think i can create demand for that one niche.

I had an idea for a niche but it gone down the drain because the market is not legal in most countries. Still i think i can create demand for that one niche.
    Bulletproof hosting? I'm assuming that is what your "niche" was.

At the time, there weren't really a lot of people offering a server backup service, so I saw an opportunity. There was only one company that I considered a competitor, and they were a hosting company that was doing it as just another service to offer to their customers. I gave it my exclusive focus, and the rest is history.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

not exactly bulletproof. its more market targeted. and its even more targeted to a part of that particular market. there are many russian bulletproof services out there. not my thing.

I guess i just need to fond the dc who will allow such a content. my current one does not allow it.
    Last edited by solokkhz; 02-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.

<< My ocmpany >> is based in the Philippines so naturally our niche market is national/local. But most importantly, our pricing is in Philippine Pesos and support provided in our Filipino language. Our niche is well defined.
    Last edited by writespeak; 03-21-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    WEB.COM.PH Inc.
    Domain Registration | Shared Hosting | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Server Management
    http://web.com.ph

so i guess i need to go into cloud hosting with my current domain

you are usually niching towards a market that will accept your domain name products and presentation.

I would say this is very general such as a language and a general attitude

We really don't have a niche. We just provide rock solid service and keep the majority of our customers happy. We adapt as there are opportunities of course. Like we've provided specialized discounts for various webmaster forums and partnered with other web sites who refer our customers. There is absolutely nothing we have set in stone.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

I work in my niche. I stumbled into being a host through a series of odd choices within my profession and now host more sites in the niche than anyone, but it's tiny niche. I just happen to be lucky I think. It all happened because I was known in the profession.

A lot of times in the course of doing business you will eventually fall into a niche without even trying. As a business owner you have to always experiment and expand, which eventually leads you to something that just works for you.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

My niche came from wanting something nobody else offered in the exact way I wanted. So our niche is ultimately about producing that product I wanted, it will be some time but we can offer that final product (development time), but the closest we can get to it with current software/technology, is what we offer at the moment.

The focus of a clear goal and niche is useful imho, so you don't get caught in the "Jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome.
    Cloud Pixies Ltd. Adding some Pixie magic into the Cloud!

We love working with reseller hosts--they're ambitious, most of the time savvy, and if you provide them good service, they'll stick around for a long time. We've found that we can run a very efficient hosting outfit by catering strictly to reseller hosts.

If you tried to find an item, but you cannot find it in market. You can provider this item. It is your opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by gangcai View Post
    If you tried to find an item, but you cannot find it in market. You can provider this item. It is your opportunity.
    That's not always true, there are times where there is no market for a product. whatever you do you won't find buyers.

I prefer finding some product that i can find a market for it, but its not presented right or something like that. this is your opportunity...

Its just not easy for me to see it in the hosting business atm.

I will find that in time.

same answer..

it depends on individual tastes.

a niche 9 times out of 10 is just not scaleable enough for me
    Jon Black

We are based in Asia so naturally our niche was to cater to Asian customers, as well as non-Asian companies looking to host in Asia
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

Its all market research. Isolate a need in your local community or find a unique service most companies aren't providing.