Managed VPS while travelling

I am developing a new community driven site and am looking for a VPS.

Initially I was going to use linode running Ubuntu. However, I will be heading overseas in the near future for 6-12 months. Backpacking around the developing world.

While I will be able to access internet most of the time, and have a laptop I will continue to develop on. I won't have decent bandwidth for performing local backups. And a times I will be out trekking for 3+ weeks, which means if something screws up there is no one to fix it up.

So I am now thinking about getting a managed VPS, however I am not sure if any are 'managed' the way I require.

Basically I need it to be monitored, and if things goes wrong they go through a list of basic fixes. Restart apache/mysql/etc, restart OS, restore from last backup. And them to be able to do this without speaking to me.

It also needs regular backups (preferable every 24hrs), as it is community driven so I am expecting a lot of edits/posts/etc.

Does anyone know of a good VPS provider that provides this sort of service?

The other thing is I don't have a lot of $$ (as I am travelling not working), however this is a new IP so initially I won't need a lot a high-end server. I was planning on getting Linode 512 for $20 but obviously I will be paying more for a managed service ($40?)

Most managed providers I know of are reactive, meaning they will only fix things if you notice something wrong and submit a ticket. WiredTree is only one I know of that monitors your services (httpd/named/etc.) and will restart them should they go down. None, however, will fix issues related to your scripts as that's generally out of "managed" scope for most providers.

Your other requirements of restoring from last backup - generally this isn't needed unless the node itself failed, which any provider would do, however, it'd also depend on the nature of the failure and some aren't able to restore your system - such as with disk failure/corruption/system hacked, etc. If they do not perform backups and they don't advertise it, then you can only rely on your own backups which would require your attention.

With that said, WiredTree does do daily backups so that at least adds more peace of mind. Take a look at them.

I was sorta wondering the same. It would be nice to also have an sms/txt message sent to my phone when something went wrong. I do travel a good bit and would love to have this feature.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

What you may want to do is reach out to any potential hosting provider and see if they'll accept automated reports from a site like SiteUptime or HyperSpin or any of the other monitoring sites available.

As far as backups are concerned, I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else: Regardless of ANY backup solution offered by your hosting provider, ALWAYS get your own independent backup solution going. This protects you a HECK of a lot more than you realize.

(FYI, my personal endorsement of a solid backup provider would be www.bqbackup.com)
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

In this case I'd suggest you to actually outsource the managed service by spend a little bit more if you concern about site uptime.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

yes most host do not offer management services with their hosting plans you will most likley have to use a third party monitoring service.

Quote Originally Posted by ninkynonk View Post
    It would be nice to also have an sms/txt message sent to my phone when something went wrong. I do travel a good bit and would love to have this feature.
    That can't be hard to set up. We have Webmin monitoring all our servers and it sends emails and text messages if anything becomes non-responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilAgg View Post
    That can't be hard to set up. We have Webmin monitoring all our servers and it sends emails and text messages if anything becomes non-responsive.
    We use Alertra to monitor our servers. If a server goes down, they send out an email and an SMS. If it's still down 5 minutes later, their system makes an actual phone call. It goes down a list of contacts, so if you don't answer the phone call either, it can call someone else after X minutes.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Awesome! I will take a look into that solution and thank you very much!
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    We use Alertra to monitor our servers
    The looks great, but I would guess there are free ones out there as well.
    Does anyone know of one that works?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilAgg View Post
    The looks great, but I would guess there are free ones out there as well.
    Does anyone know of one that works?
    The two that I mentioned have free versions, though you're not going to get as much bang for your buck with the free stuff.

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

You would want to look for a managed VPS host that offers proactive monitoring. They should take care of everything on the server side and monitor it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    you're not going to get as much bang for your buck with the free stuff.
    Webmin gives us plenty of bang for free. I guess we will stick to that.

I wasn't referring to WWebmin (very good app, of course). I was talking specifically about HyperSpin and SiteUptime's free account features vs their paid account features.