1and1 bandwidth test

I purchased a 1and1 dedicated windows server around a few days ago and so far it does pretty well for the specs:

AMD Athlon X2 4200+
    2GB DDR2
    2x 250 GB in RAID1
    Nvidia NIC/SATA

My only slight "disappointment" is that it I only hit around 40Mbps down and 17 Mbps up during speed tests. Anyone else who has 1and1, or a dedicated server have the same issue?

Please let me know - thank you.

I think, that it is shared connection. Your server cost 60$, so do not expect to have full dedicated 100mbps port.
    Andrius Petkus, Chief commercial officer @ Bacloud.com data centers.
    Build your cheap dedicated server, Affordable high power Windows SSD VPS
    Payment methods: Bitcoins, Credit cards, PayPal, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Safety Pay, Cashu, Bank transfer.

Think if you need 100mbps you have to change your server.

Quote Originally Posted by Fines View Post
    Think if you need 100mbps you have to change your server.
    I am starting to think that I will need to

Too bad I don't think I can even get my money back now, even though I just started it Monday :/

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth_J View Post
    I am starting to think that I will need to

Too bad I don't think I can even get my money back now, even though I just started it Monday :/
    What company are you with?
    Don't they provide moneyback guarantee?

Quote Originally Posted by reswertious-adam View Post
    What company are you with?
    Don't they provide moneyback guarantee?
    1&1 offers a 90-day Money Back Guarantee. You'll receive a complete refund if you
    cancel a package within 90 days from the date of your initial order.*

There is no refund for server packages, domain name registration fees, software
    shipping and handling fees, any unused bandwidth or any additional features ordered
    from the Control Panel.

*90-day Money Back Guarantee applies to Instant Mail, Instant Website, Shared Hosting,
    eShops, SharePoint and Exchange Hosting packages.

---

I called tech support, and they were like well since your server goes through multiple hops and etc your bandwidth is limited. I couldn't believe what he just told me. Well true it does play a role, it doesn't hurt your BW that much. I just did a test from my house (have 100 down, but crappy up) and I was able to get 75 from the other side of the country.

One other thing that has me a bit "worried". The system internal temperature is around 95F all the time. I can't say anything about the HDs, but thats pretty high. I work in a datacenter and our rooms have crac's that keep everything at or around 70 with a ~43% RH. Too bad I can't build a server and rack it in there

I have a server with the same specs as the OP's except its Debian 5 and I can get 100Mbit up or down anytime of day or night to multiple points. Im very pleased with the server and been with them for 19 months now with very little to no downtime. Aka maybe 30 min total downtime so far in the 19 months.

@polyn, maybe its the OS in that case. I will reOS with linux and retest. Otherwise, I need to find another provider :/

Just hit a bit more, but not much (not the only test I ran):

Speed Test #95116661 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2011-02-09 04:09:46 EST
    Download: 32151 (Kbps)
    Upload: 24230 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 3924.7 down 2957.8 up
    Tested by server: 56 java
    User: 613002 @ dslreports.com
    User's DNS: onlinehome-server.com

Those bandwidth speed test are generally loaded or on 100mbit connections themselves with multiple people using them, so your results will very each time. Maybe make a 100 or 500mbyte test file and post it here for others to try and download and report back with there results and location of the server to get a better idea of what you really have.

Quote Originally Posted by polyn View Post
    Those bandwidth speed test are generally loaded or on 100mbit connections themselves with multiple people using them, so your results will very each time. Maybe make a 100 or 500mbyte test file and post it here for others to try and download and report back with there results and location of the server to get a better idea of what you really have.
    Good idea, but a its too late :/ I just hit the re-image button and it should be done within the hour (hopefully) with ubuntu 10.

Guess once its done we can test it. I should of thought it of that before, but oh well.

also keep in mind that alot of ports are locked down when you first get the server (no it wont have anything to do with the speed) but as far as i know the only ports that arn't blocked is 22 80 and 443 if you want others opened you will have to call 1and1 and get them to remove the blanket rule. I would advise to only do this once you have secured and hardened the server.

Quote Originally Posted by polyn View Post
    also keep in mind that alot of ports are locked down when you first get the server (no it wont have anything to do with the speed) but as far as i know the only ports that arn't blocked is 22 80 and 443 if you want others opened you will have to call 1and1 and get them to remove the blanket rule. I would advise to only do this once you have secured and hardened the server.
    Hmm, I didn't know that.

I hope the change in OS helps, cause this a pretty good deal and I hate to change it to something else.

Well, its up - please test out the connection.

http://74.208.74.58/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.test (726MB)
    http://74.208.74.58/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.test (435MB)

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Smooth_J; 02-09-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Started at 11.2MB/s from Leaseweb, NL.
    Keeps going between 8MB/s - 11MB/s.