Thread: OpenVPN hosting

OpenVPN hosting

Hi, first of all, i'm still a super noob right now so be gentle at me

I'm currently trying to find a cheap vps hosting for openvpn.. i want to make a site like proxpn, airvpn, macrovpn, etc.
    i found this specs at thrustvps.com:

512MB RAM, 1GB Burst
    15GB Disk Space
    1TB Transfer
    1 IP
    Linux Only

My question is:

** i wanna know how many clients can this handle
    (all people simultaneously using it ).. people with normal browsing and few abusive people using it in downloading torrent.

** will it consume too much resources like rapidleech if people would use it to download torrents?

** how will i know how much RAM and CPU speed would I need?

** does these webhost have control panel that i could use to monitor my server or i need to install one on my own? or i could just access it through ssh?

** how will i know how fast would my client's internet speed be if they'll use my vpn? i want to know what specs would i look for in a webhost so my vpn would not slow them down..

** does RAM would affect their internet speed too if they'll connect through my vpn?

thats all or now, thanks for those who would help

oh, a few more thing..

its a $5.95/mo.
    its a 1TB bandwidth so, is it a scam? or am i allowed to use up all those 1TB bandwidth? i'm not aware of webhost pricing
    Last edited by shinjikenny; 02-08-2011 at 11:35 PM.

How much do you know about running a VPN? Perhaps you'd be better off reselling VPN for another existing company rather than investing your time and money building your own site?

well, i want to learn about it...
    i'm not really after the money XD

I think that for openVPN that would be better to take a VPS or at least low end dedicated server.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

The VPS specs should be fine. But one thing you need to make sure is the bandwidth allows should be unlimited too. There has no point for you to have 1TB data transfer if they only limit your bandwidth to 1Mbps.

is it the speed of the PORT of the web host that determines how fast my clients' connection? or is it the upload speed of the web host?

it can handle max of 50 accts if they are using simultaneously.

There are many variables here so use this as a GENERAL guide but depending on these you can run 10-15 concurrent users per 128MB XEN. Mind you these were optimized accounts running the bare minimum.

wow! i thought it could handle ~10 clients only
    thanks

Well like I said take it as a general guideline, just b/c you SHOULD be able to handle X VPN connections doesn't mean that you will be able to on a given hosts plans (server/network/config/etc...), or do it well.

BTW, is the uplink speed another thing i need to consider when choosing a VPS for openVPN, or i could just forget about that and just look at the Bandwidth/tranfer rate of the host? will it affect my clients if the host has slow uplink speed?

Quote Originally Posted by shinjikenny View Post
    will it affect my clients if the host has slow uplink speed?
    Well, if the uplink is slow, it will slow down everyone...

Uplink speed would be particularly important if your clients are going to run a lot of downloads or the like through it. Personally i'd find a provider that has at least a 100mbps uplink to their hardware nodes -- but a 1gbps pipe, though perhaps costly, wouldn't hurt either.

However, you might want to find out specifically how much of that you are allowed to use before it becomes abusive. MOST customers do not constantly use a significant portion of the system bandwidth, so sometimes those customers that do can tend to cause problems for others on the node and that is when you'll have abuse complaints.

A 1TB transfer limit isn't so unusual these days, however, make sure you monitor your usage. Most hosts do not suspend on exceeding the limit and you could run into expensive overage charges!

I'd be very wary however -- this type of service being used to download torrents or that type of thing could very well get you in trouble as well for allowing one to mask their true location. There is legal torrenting, but there is a reason most providers do not allow torrent traffic on their network -- and that too is something you'll want to ask about.

Good luck, Mate!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilAgg View Post
    Well, if the uplink is slow, it will slow down everyone...
    i see.. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SolarVPS|Justin View Post
    Uplink speed would be particularly important if your clients are going to run a lot of downloads or the like through it. Personally i'd find a provider that has at least a 100mbps uplink to their hardware nodes -- but a 1gbps pipe, though perhaps costly, wouldn't hurt either.

However, you might want to find out specifically how much of that you are allowed to use before it becomes abusive. MOST customers do not constantly use a significant portion of the system bandwidth, so sometimes those customers that do can tend to cause problems for others on the node and that is when you'll have abuse complaints.

A 1TB transfer limit isn't so unusual these days, however, make sure you monitor your usage. Most hosts do not suspend on exceeding the limit and you could run into expensive overage charges!

I'd be very wary however -- this type of service being used to download torrents or that type of thing could very well get you in trouble as well for allowing one to mask their true location. There is legal torrenting, but there is a reason most providers do not allow torrent traffic on their network -- and that too is something you'll want to ask about.

Good luck, Mate!
    ok thanks, i'll put that in mind

i want to know how downloading torrents through VPN affects the CPU, RAM, Bandwidth of the VPN host... does it consume too much resources? If I'm using a VPN then downloaded a 5GB file using direct links, will it have the same effect on the resource usage of the host if I were to download a 5GB torrent?

We have a server just for providing VPN but we use pptp as our client need it.
    Its very easy , just install webmin and add module, PPTP Server.
    Now about limiting a bandwidth, IMO, if you install any CP like virtualmin, it MAY record usage of bandwidth of a user. I am not sure about it and never tested. Because we provide unmetered bandwidth so no need.
    Give a try.
    ██ Website Hosting Mumbai | Web Hosting India
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed
    ██ cPanel-Softaculous Shared Hosting | 99.9% Uptime
    ██ sales[at]linkwayhosting.com | +91-9930-3388-67

Bandwidth

I had to write my own custom script to monitor bandwidth consumption. I can now see who is connected, and how much bandwidth they are using.

As far as I know, there is no help for this task on Google.

The Webmin module is good, but it does not monitor bandwidth, only connections.

Bandwidth consumption by torrenters is considerable. Remember, bittorrent is a two-way protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx LL View Post
    it can handle max of 50 accts if they are using simultaneously.
    This guy clearly has no idea. A VPS of this size is likely heavily limited CPU-wise for dedicated resources.

OpenVPN is heavily reliant on CPU specifically when there are a lot of connections. It depends on the user's usage. If you have 1 user running p2p then it could bring down the entire box. Otherwise, if you have just web browsing, you would likely be able to handle 4-8 without issues.

OpenVPN is vpn. VPN normally equates to encryption which is CPU intensive. If you don't run it with encryption then you could do a little better but VPN without encryption somewhat defeats the purpose.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ServerOrigin View Post
    This guy clearly has no idea. A VPS of this size is likely heavily limited CPU-wise for dedicated resources.

OpenVPN is heavily reliant on CPU specifically when there are a lot of connections. It depends on the user's usage. If you have 1 user running p2p then it could bring down the entire box. Otherwise, if you have just web browsing, you would likely be able to handle 4-8 without issues.

OpenVPN is vpn. VPN normally equates to encryption which is CPU intensive. If you don't run it with encryption then you could do a little better but VPN without encryption somewhat defeats the purpose.
    thanks for clarifying that..

umm... can you enlighten me with this one.. I'm confused between downloading torrents/p2p and downloading using direct links.
    If a client downloads a large file using torrent or direct link, does they have the same impact on the VPS's ram and cpu??

also, if a node has 1Gbit uplink speed, and the server has 80 VPS, each VPS will have approximately 10Mbit uplink speed, right??
    So if i use my VPS as VPN tunnel, and i have 10 clients simultaneously browsing the internet while connected to my VPS,
    does that mean each of my client will only have 1Mb/s internet speed??

and a server is connected to the internet, right???
    how do i know the server's internet speed?? is it the uplink speed? But uplink speed refers to the port speed right? what specific "term" should i look for when looking at VPS specs to know the server's internet speed??

Quote Originally Posted by shinjikenny View Post

umm... can you enlighten me with this one.. I'm confused between downloading torrents/p2p and downloading using direct links.
    If a client downloads a large file using torrent or direct link, does they have the same impact on the VPS's ram and cpu??

also, if a node has 1Gbit uplink speed, and the server has 80 VPS, each VPS will have approximately 10Mbit uplink speed, right??
    So if i use my VPS as VPN tunnel, and i have 10 clients simultaneously browsing the internet while connected to my VPS,
    does that mean each of my client will only have 1Mb/s internet speed??

and a server is connected to the internet, right???
    how do i know the server's internet speed?? is it the uplink speed? But uplink speed refers to the port speed right? what specific "term" should i look for when looking at VPS specs to know the server's internet speed??

"If a client downloads a large file using torrent or direct link, does they have the same impact on the VPS's ram and cpu??"

If we were talking about someone connecting to your server, and then using something like wget to d/l one file off of another web server, then that would be one flow that your server would have to handle. Compare that to how torrents work, where everyone is sharing little pieces of a file. If that same user above was d/l the same file via torrent, then you could expect to see anywhere from 1 to 20+ individual flows for that same file.

Each flow takes cpu cycles, memory. The more sustained flows that you have open, the more cpu cycles you are taking up, the more memory you use.

The wget example I gave you is a bit of an oversimplification; usually when use a browser and going around the internet, you'll have lots and lots of flows going to various servers in order to grab all of the content and pictures, but these flows are short and bursty (seconds long). Torrents flows last much longer.

"also, if a node has 1Gbit uplink speed, and the server has 80 VPS, each VPS will have approximately 10Mbit uplink speed, right?? "

If the server that you are connected to has a 1Gbit link where that link is shared, and that server has 100 customers and all 100 were using 100% of their allocated B/W....then yes...you would end up with 10Mbit. However, the chances of you running into that sort of situation are slim, barring things like another VPS getting DDOSed, or something of that nature. Same applies to your users.

"and a server is connected to the internet, right???
    how do i know the server's internet speed?? is it the uplink speed? But uplink speed refers to the port speed right? what specific "term" should i look for when looking at VPS specs to know the server's internet speed??"

The uplink speed is what you generally run with. "Internet speed" isn't a actual networking term. The connection wont be equally as good to all users, especially if you are services users world-wide.

Quote Originally Posted by caffleck View Post
    "If a client downloads a large file using torrent or direct link, does they have the same impact on the VPS's ram and cpu??"

If we were talking about someone connecting to your server, and then using something like wget to d/l one file off of another web server, then that would be one flow that your server would have to handle. Compare that to how torrents work, where everyone is sharing little pieces of a file. If that same user above was d/l the same file via torrent, then you could expect to see anywhere from 1 to 20+ individual flows for that same file.

Each flow takes cpu cycles, memory. The more sustained flows that you have open, the more cpu cycles you are taking up, the more memory you use.

The wget example I gave you is a bit of an oversimplification; usually when use a browser and going around the internet, you'll have lots and lots of flows going to various servers in order to grab all of the content and pictures, but these flows are short and bursty (seconds long). Torrents flows last much longer.

"also, if a node has 1Gbit uplink speed, and the server has 80 VPS, each VPS will have approximately 10Mbit uplink speed, right?? "

If the server that you are connected to has a 1Gbit link where that link is shared, and that server has 100 customers and all 100 were using 100% of their allocated B/W....then yes...you would end up with 10Mbit. However, the chances of you running into that sort of situation are slim, barring things like another VPS getting DDOSed, or something of that nature. Same applies to your users.

"and a server is connected to the internet, right???
    how do i know the server's internet speed?? is it the uplink speed? But uplink speed refers to the port speed right? what specific "term" should i look for when looking at VPS specs to know the server's internet speed??"

The uplink speed is what you generally run with. "Internet speed" isn't a actual networking term. The connection wont be equally as good to all users, especially if you are services users world-wide.
    thank you very much for answering my questions

please send my regards to Mango and King Darius.

it could handle 100 connection, it won't use any resources, We have tried that and had no problems, I'm not sure if any VPS provider will allow Public VPN, but a personal one instead
    Chicago VPS | Gigabit uplink host90.com

OpenVPN VPS spidervpn.com