Top level domain will go crazy?

I noticed TLD appeared on news more often now, many different tld that under consideration like .xxx, .gay.

Am wondering why now, why not last few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by LM-AndrewS View Post
    I noticed TLD appeared on news more often now, many different tld that under consideration like .xxx, .gay.

I suppose you can address this question to ICANN. But in my opinion new domain name extensions appear once there ius a demand on them.

Those new tld are created because you can't find anything you want in .com or .net anymore. Many domain brokers keep buying domain names and make a profit on them. Small businesses can only look for long domain name which no customer can remember or go for alternative tld.

sad!

I have read the latest info on this from ICANN and it seems that expansion is the main reason for releasing the new gTLDs. It also coincides with IPv6.

You can check out http://markmonitor.com/topleveldomains/ for all the details.

Jxff

The more generic TLDs will make .com more and more stronger as it will be able to stand out in the crowd. A few more gTLDs are good but flowing a river of gTLDs will only make the WWW more crowded place. Even premium one word names might not sell for as much as they are sold in .com or .net.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Wow, I can buy eshop-systems.isp or eshop-systems.sexy then!!

If available, I want to buy iam.millionaire and auction to any millionaire for a million buck

I think a point to consider will be how gTLDs will eventually work. Imagine you want to go to Google... instead of typing google.com you would just type google... because Google has registered it's own TLD. What does this mean for .com? I think the release of thousands of new TLDs will allow the addressing of everything relevant to a specific domain of interest. The dot com address will be replaced; a footnote in cyber history. Currently the RIAA is trying to block the release of .music, which I find incredibly short sighted. It's like trying to block the sun... how pointless.

Jxff

Everything takes time to come in market. first of all checkout the importance of TLD It is for marketing any particcular domain name with particular extension.
    whatever TLD come in market i think com will be in the first position for always.

If money wouldn't be the most important thing for people then .org would be the most used, or the .com one of the least used.

Quote Originally Posted by LM-AndrewS View Post

ICANN is not noted for making decisions quickly. It may take years before any new tld extensions are permitted from submission to release time.

The .xxx tld extension was approved by ICANN in 2005 only to be quickly rejected a short time later. ICANN has rejected the approval of the .xxx extension three times since 2005.

The .web extension was proposed to ICCAN but never approved.

Some of the alt root DNS servers (not ICANN approved) were using both .web and .xxx around the late '90s. The use of alt root DNS servers seems almost not existent recently. And even the popularity of the alt root DNS fad had a small cult following when they were the rave in the late '90s and early '00s.