Thread: Why class C?

Why class C?

I heard a lot of people need class C ip address for server.
    What is the important?

Setting a lot of mail addresses, with different IP address(for mass mailing)
    Or either a lot of SSL sites.
    Might be also used for SEO.
    Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    CS Student, Geek, Software Engineer, Developer

c class ip has more use in SEO.

If you don't do mass mailing and aren't concerned with SEO, most likely you do not need different C-class IPs
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

- Spamming
    - Linkfarm spamming

Sorry to say it, but anyone who asks for a class C address hasn't a clue what they are talking about. CDIR took over from classful addressing over 10 years ago.
    Last edited by ManuelT; 02-08-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    █ Manuel Tuthill
    www.regdotter.com Cheap domain names

█ www.AvenueHost.com Quality Shared, Reseller and VPS hosting.

I think Multiple 'C' class based hosting solution helps webmaster host website on same server but the ip addresses are from different C class, which allow them to build links networks and still avoid getting penalized.

Quote Originally Posted by johnston981 View Post
    I think Multiple 'C' class based hosting solution helps webmaster host website on same server but the ip addresses are from different C class, which allow them to build links networks and still avoid getting penalized.
    Same AS, still getting penalized. There is no point in doing this anymore.

Different Class C IPs for SEO is a myth. Hosts that offer it are simply getting rich from the stupid. All the meanwhile, IPv4 space is being wasted by these same stupid. Real web/SEO experts already know this, but it's the wanna-be kiddie sploggers that perpetuate these myths in their quaint/silly little blogs and forums that spout baloney by the bucketload.

There is legitimate use for separating sites/content via IP, but that's a different discussion.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

i have only seen a few hosts offer this but i see people requesting and suggesting it all the time. Many people want each ip on a separate class C that seems beyond reason. I have been told google will penalize you for not having separate ip's with your separate sites

Quote Originally Posted by coderiser View Post
    i have only seen a few hosts offer this but i see people requesting and suggesting it all the time. Many people want each ip on a separate class C that seems beyond reason. I have been told google will penalize you for not having separate ip's with your separate sites
    This has been addressed by Google in their Webmaster Tools series of videos. Their search engine algorithm is extremely complex and considers a host of factors. Your SEO efforts will not be in vein if you don't have a unique IP address on each of your websites. You can get by, just fine mind you, with a shared IP.

http://www.youtube.com/GoogleWebmasterHelp

Even though the above is specific to Google (and I guess Bing), there is also plenty of SEO data out there that confirms this across other major search engines. Just do some quick research.
    Last edited by Jay H; 02-08-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    * GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated
    * Powered by Geeks... and SSD's! - You're in good hands, geek hands.
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

I assume the OP is actually talking about a /24 and not a "class C" IP address. (which is any address with the first octet begining with 192-223)

We have customers request a full /24 for VPS servers, cloud systems or ecommerce hosting mainly. We've found that "SEO" is the new code word for "spam" so we don't hand them out for that.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    I We've found that "SEO" is the new code word for "spam" so we don't hand them out for that.
    More should follow in your footsteps.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Given the recent events in the ongoing IPv4 exhaustion saga (wow I make that sound like a bad anime!), I doubt that this practice will conceivably be able to consider for too long anyways. This practice also tends to lead to bad resource management when it comes to IP addresses as well, leading to possible problems down the road when allocations become scarce.

There are some legitimate needs for IP addresses in seperate /24's, but very very few, in my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarVPS|Justin View Post
    Given the recent events in the ongoing IPv4 exhaustion saga (wow I make that sound like a bad anime!), I doubt that this practice will conceivably be able to consider for too long anyways. This practice also tends to lead to bad resource management when it comes to IP addresses as well, leading to possible problems down the road when allocations become scarce.

There are some legitimate needs for IP addresses in seperate /24's, but very very few, in my personal opinion.
    Given the amount of abuse that tends to happen when IP addresses are given in separate classes + the IPV4 exhaustion i doubt any provider is going to want to fulfill these types of requests for much longer if any at all, I'm sure you will get the occasional host that will do it because they simply do not care. But for the average provider who takes care of their IP resources then it's going to be an iffy situation.
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta!!
    〓〓 andrew.moore[at]quadranet.com
    〓〓 http://www.QuadraNet.com

it's nonsense for one single server or VPS to have class C IP addresses. 99% of them are using it for spamming. I believe now only hosting provider from Russia still providing such service.

As exhaustion closes in, I can imagine some datacenters reclaiming/taking IPs from hosts that are using them stupidly. I would imagine such pressure to originate at RIPE, etc.

What I see happening next is "shared C-class" hosting, where a host uses a bay of IPs for clients to pick from, but all the dumb "SEO clients" are all using the same selection of 20-30 (or whatever) IPs. If I'm not mistaken, that's already going on. That's going to be easy enough for Google to poop on, devaluing the entire block, and there goes "SEO hosting" into the deprecated bin with other asinine online ideology. (That may already be going on, too.)

We'll see the return of using multiple hosts. But because it's "expensive", the kiddie spammers/splogger will just go away.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

i see that happening as well although once ipv6 starts become a norm you will have no issue at all with seo hosting since we will all have a few billion ips available to us each