Thread: PHP hosting

PHP hosting

I was looking in the shared hosting section and I saw that a lot of hosts advertise PHP 5.2.

I will be running joomla, oscommerce, zen cart, just the newest versions as of today and I have good experience with test running them on Xampp PHP 5.3.

If I get a host with PHP 5.2 and the host decides to upgrade one day to PHP 5.3 is that going to affect me and mess up my day?

thanks

I don't think you will be able to just upgrade to PHP 5.3 if you ask your host.

If they change the servers PHP from 5.2 to 5.3, it will affect everyone on the server.
    Plus PHP 5.3 is still slightly buggy right now.

Most host, use and will stay with 5.2, until 5.3+ is fully compatible with old code, otherwise, everyone's sites will be messed.
    Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    CS Student, Geek, Software Engineer, Developer

Some hosts are running servers with PHP 5.3 and servers with PHP 5.2, and you can choose between the two. Get in touch with the host and see if they are planning on upgrading any times soon, I would imagine the host should give you plenty of notice before they would consider upgrading anyway and ensure that there are only a few issues, otherwise they'd end up loosing customers.

Quote Originally Posted by aireal View Post
    If I get a host with PHP 5.2 and the host decides to upgrade one day to PHP 5.3 is that going to affect me and mess up my day?
    Right now, it could as PHP 5.3 tends to be a bit buggy. Most hosts that are still running 5.2 understand this and will not upgrade you until all issues are resolved. This upgrade should not affect you at all.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Trust me, your host is just as concerned with this as you are. If they upgrade and it breaks your site it will probably break a ton of other sites too.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

thanks to all,
    for really really helpful answers

Most hosts will wait for php 5.3 to be compatible or simply provide you the option of both php 5.2 and 5.3 versions.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

At any time paid hostings are the best.. I have been using paid hostings for years and have faced no problem...

Web domains. Hosting. Content. These are the three top priorities for any webmaster, regardless of how experienced they are. Unfortunately, these three essentials often leave people in the dark, as there are dozens of companies offering the “same” packages for different prices

Trying to identify a web host can be a very daunting task especially when there are so many available nowadays and all of them promise one thing or another because looking for and buying a reliable web hosting solution is an imperative decision.

I have been using Which Hosting - Hosting Reviews for such kind of evaluations... i often get confused of what to choose and why to choose.... happy hostings.. have a great time

I think you have nothing to worry about. As rule web hosting provider apply new php version to the new server. So if you stay on the same servers you will not be affected by changing php version.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer_rock View Post
    Which Hosting - Hosting Reviews
    Is that your own site?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

As you can see from the replies, most hosts will stick with 5.2

There is not much difference between php 5.2 and 5.3 but version upgrade could cause some miinor problems related to the coding and they would be required to be fixed by changing the code.

Quote Originally Posted by aireal View Post

thanks
    It might. Depends on the scripts you are using. If they are php 5.3 compatible it won't matter. But if not you will have to upgrade them.

Your best bet is just ask your host what their upgrade plan is for PHP.

Some will be moving soon, others probably will be sticking with 5.2 for a while.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Upgrading to 5.2 to 5.3 shouldn't cause you any issues with those particular scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer_rock View Post

I have been using Which Hosting - Hosting Reviews for such kind of evaluations... i often get confused of what to choose and why to choose.... happy hostings.. have a great time
    That's an affiliated based top list, nothing in there is useful.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore