* Site's getting bigger, fed up of shared hosting, where should I go

I have a website that now gets around 100,000 visits a month and that will soon get maybe around 150,000 a month. I've been with Blue Host all along, but they've been very unreliable lately and my site going down for a few hours every couple of days really stresses me off. The other negative point is that my site's load time isn't great and I want my visitors to be able to navigate the site very quickly to improve their experience.

I've tried Media Temple's grid hosting for a while, but I've been extremely disappointed and the site has been slower and going down even more than with Blue host. And I thought that paying $20 a month for Media Temple versus $8 for Blue Host would make a difference.

I'm now looking for a new host and I'm really not sure what would be good for my needs. I don't mind putting in the dollars, but I don't want to pay $150/month for a service like RackSpace if it's overkill for my needs.

I understand that many of the more serious hosting providers usually don't hold your hand like shared hosting does, but I'm not too much into managing my own server either and I really like having a cPanel for email configuration and an automatic wordpress installer.

It's also hard to compare for me when I see a dirt cheap shared hosting with unlimited bandwidth and hard drive space versus a much pricier option with a limited bandwidth and drive space.

Should I be going for a dedicated server or cloud hosting and what services are the best considering my needs? Are they any that offer easy cPanel-like panels?

Sorry for the rather long question and extra digital brownies for anyone willing to help on this one!

My advise is to stay away from Unlimited Disk Space and Bandwidth (especially when cheap). If you have outgrown Shared Hosting; then a VPS or Dedicated Server is the next step. You can get a managed VPS or Dedicated Server if you don't have the skills and/or the time to maintain the server, though you should expect to pay extra for this.

cPanel licensing can cost anything from free to $20 per month, depending on the provider you choose.

With those stats I would suggest to look into a VPS. A few good managed providers are Knownhost and Clubuptime. I have had good results with both of them.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

Hi,
    You may be getting a bit busy for a VPS server, but if you are looking into a rock solid host, with awesome uptime, and support, look at liquidweb.com. They have VPS and dedicated servers.
    They will surprise you with how good their support is.

Sell a few banners and pay for the better host for your site. You will be glad you did.

We sold our old servers and went with them for leased servers years ago, and have not regretted it once.

They offer Cpanel, fantastico and more. They have managed and unmanaged, and their servers stay up.
    We had several that were up for over 500 days without an issue. When we did upgrades it started over, but several years, 10 servers, one HD issue in all that time, and their monitoring found the issue before the server went down, so it was an easy copy to a new drive and going again in a short amount of time.

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

Look into a VPS or a reliable cloud hosting provider. From the sounds of things, you have outgrown shared hosting but really don't consume the resources necessary for a dedicated server.

Also, if you get a VPS, it might be worth it to pay someone with experience to optimize your setup.

<<snipped>>

And I will echo what everyone else has already said, AVOID the "unlimited" providers like the plague.
    Last edited by bear; 02-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.

As has already been said you are probably getting too large for shared hosting - VPS or a small dedicated would be the way forwards. If you get a dedicated with cpanel their are always offers kicking about for people to manage the box for you for a small fee.

If your site carries on growing how it has you may end up on a dedicated shortly anyway so it may be a step to take now rather than later when it would have a bigger impact on your users / visitors.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    With those stats I would suggest to look into a VPS. A few good managed providers are Knownhost and Clubuptime. I have had good results with both of them.
    I guess vps is really needed, and can you please tell us your site?

I'd suggest a non-cPanel VPS, with a one time sysadmin setup with nginx as proxy and secured setup.

Preferable a host that lets you upgrade later.
    Diego Rodrνguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    CS Student, Geek, Software Engineer, Developer

Is there something that can be done with the back-end programming of the web site/database to improve performance (vs. looking to another server to fix speed issues)? Or is the site already fully optimized?
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

Pretty much what everyone else has said..

- VPS: You can always add more ram/cpu/storage...
    - cPanel: You will learn it's not that tough to navigate around adding sites, keep software updated, etc..
    - Managed: If you feel that you can't update packages or admin the server
    - NO unlimited: stay away from the unlimited deals..
    - Call around a couple places to see what their service is like.

Good luck - and congrats on your growing site!

Quote Originally Posted by SercoNetworks View Post
    My advise is to stay away from Unlimited Disk Space and Bandwidth (especially when cheap). If you have outgrown Shared Hosting; then a VPS or Dedicated Server is the next step. You can get a managed VPS or Dedicated Server if you don't have the skills and/or the time to maintain the server, though you should expect to pay extra for this.

cPanel licensing can cost anything from free to $20 per month, depending on the provider you choose.
    I dont know. Those unlimited plans can be beneficial. but always make sure you see what your resources are. thats one thing that can cripple your website. But there is a time to move on to a dedicated server, i dont think 100,000 visits is the exact time to look for a server just yet. Id wait a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sebzzz View Post
    I have a website that now gets around 100,000 visits a month ... <snip> ... but I'm not too much into managing my own server either and I really like having a cPanel for email configuration and an automatic wordpress installer.
    Is this a Wordpress site that is getting 100k visits a month? You might try one of the caching plug ins like WP Super Cache to see if that helps with the speed.

A VPS with 1GB of RAM would probably work for you, but I would choose a good provider with the option of increasing your share of the resources or moving to a dedicated server. I like MDDHosting (where I have my VPS) for their support and plain-spoken style.

Quote Originally Posted by addwire View Post
    I dont know. Those unlimited plans can be beneficial. but always make sure you see what your resources are. thats one thing that can cripple your website. But there is a time to move on to a dedicated server, i dont think 100,000 visits is the exact time to look for a server just yet. Id wait a little longer.
    Perhaps for small websites; however 'unlimited' plans tend to have much stricter rules regarding resource usage - its likely the OP would be suspended very quickly, especially with a 'cheap' unlimited provider.

if you decide to go with a VPS, keep in mind that VPSs tend to be slower when compared to a normal shared hosting server. While this is not true in a 100% of the cases, It would most probably be true in your case, since you said you are hosted @BlueHost. Shared servers are usually a lot more powerful than a VPS (means they have more RAM and dedicated hard drives, whereas the VPS has less RAM - and ram is needed if you want your site to be fast - and a lot of the times the RAM is shared and oversold and the storage is not dedicated and sometimes it is over the network - which brings additional latency).

If you'd go with a VPS, make sure you make a pretty fast running configuration of your VPS - eg. go with LiteSpeed, fine tune your MySQL and everything else you can.

Security is pretty important too, but that you can read in the posts above
    www.1h.com
    We optimize your hosting business!

Check the fastest proactive server monitoring: 1H Guardian

can I've your site please?

I recently picked up a small dedicated server with an Intel Atom processor. This type of CPU is generally used in netbooks and is known more for low power consumption than speed, but I paid $25 a month which is a startlingly low price for a dedicated server. I found this deal here in the Dedicated Server advertising board. Mine includes a one terabyte hard drive, 2GB of RAM, and an Atom D330 dual core CPU.

At that price it did not include cPanel but I installed the free Webmin/Virtualmin management suite. While perhaps not quite as complex as cPanel it gets the job done. I would expect an Atom server to be easily able to handle a single website.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

Quote Originally Posted by srider View Post
    I recently picked up a small dedicated server with an Intel Atom processor. This type of CPU is generally used in netbooks and is known more for low power consumption than speed, but I paid $25 a month which is a startlingly low price for a dedicated server. I found this deal here in the Dedicated Server advertising board. Mine includes a one terabyte hard drive, 2GB of RAM, and an Atom D330 dual core CPU.

At that price it did not include cPanel but I installed the free Webmin/Virtualmin management suite. While perhaps not quite as complex as cPanel it gets the job done. I would expect an Atom server to be easily able to handle a single website.
    I believe the one you are suggesting is an unmanaged server? From the looks of it the OP would like something more managed and more similar to shared hosting so it may not be too suitable in this case.
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •

I tend to disagree with some of the comments here. I don't think that a VPS is necessarily the answer to your problem. The defacto solution seems to be upgrade to a VPS, but if you don't have the skills or drive to manage the system, you will end up in worse shape than you are now. The problem is compounded by the fact that oversold VPS servers, and poorly managed hosts servers will put you back in the same situation real quick.

If shared hosting fits your need, but your current hosts is inadequate, I would recommend moving to a new Shared host. When shopping for a new host, I generally recommend the following:

- Look for a low density provider, or a host willing to share density information.
    - Avoid anything that says unlimited data/storage like the plague
    - Don't assume bigger = better, there are alot of smaller providers that will give you better service than big box brands
    - Buy a backup domain and develop a test plan (this allows you to move sample data to a host and gauge live performance before moving your site)
    Linology Networks,LLC - Powering Your Future, Today

Quote Originally Posted by LinologyNetworksLLC View Post
    I tend to disagree with some of the comments here. I don't think that a VPS is necessarily the answer to your problem. The defacto solution seems to be upgrade to a VPS, but if you don't have the skills or drive to manage the system, you will end up in worse shape than you are now. The problem is compounded by the fact that oversold VPS servers, and poorly managed hosts servers will put you back in the same situation real quick.

If shared hosting fits your need, but your current hosts is inadequate, I would recommend moving to a new Shared host. When shopping for a new host, I generally recommend the following:

- Look for a low density provider, or a host willing to share density information.
    - Avoid anything that says unlimited data/storage like the plague
    - Don't assume bigger = better, there are alot of smaller providers that will give you better service than big box brands
    - Buy a backup domain and develop a test plan (this allows you to move sample data to a host and gauge live performance before moving your site)
    totally agree with you. VPS may even be slower than the shared hosting plan, as I stated earlier.

You may look for hosting providers that put less people on a server. Usually, those plans are advertised as "semi dedicated" or "business". It is still shared hosting, but resource limitations are much higher.
    www.1h.com
    We optimize your hosting business!

Check the fastest proactive server monitoring: 1H Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by sebzzz View Post
    I have a website that now gets around 100,000 visits a month and that will soon get maybe around 150,000 a month.

I've tried Media Temple's grid hosting for a while, but I've been extremely disappointed and the site has been slower and going down even more than with Blue host. And I thought that paying $20 a month for Media Temple versus $8 for Blue Host would make a difference.

I'm now looking for a new host and I'm really not sure what would be good for my needs. I don't mind putting in the dollars, but I don't want to pay $150/month for a service like RackSpace if it's overkill for my needs.

I understand that many of the more serious hosting providers usually don't hold your hand like shared hosting does, but I'm not too much into managing my own server either and I really like having a cPanel for email configuration and an automatic wordpress installer.

It's also hard to compare for me when I see a dirt cheap shared hosting with unlimited bandwidth and hard drive space versus a much pricier option with a limited bandwidth and drive space.

Should I be going for a dedicated server or cloud hosting and what services are the best considering my needs? Are they any that offer easy cPanel-like panels?

Sorry for the rather long question and extra digital brownies for anyone willing to help on this one!

Sorry to hear about the issues with our shared service. I'd be willing to take a look and see what the exact problem is, if you still have an account with us.

If you've totally given up on us you can look for a dedicated server elsewhere. You can usually look at places like Knownhost, Linode,Servint, WiredTree, etc. Those are some that just get mentioned frequently on these forums. I'm not too sure on the cPanel question, but hopefully this is a start.
    Media Temple Customer Support
    Webhosting @ http://mediatemple.net

Can you provide some more details regarding the type of web site you are looking to host? Some good info to provide is...

- Amount of bandwidth your website is currently using per month (on average)

- Amount of disk-space your website is currently using.

- Is this a wordpress/joomla powered type of website? Do you have any forum software installed on your account, if so, how many visitors do you have online at one time?

Until you can provide the above details, I doubt anyone will be able to provide you with a real solution. Sure upgrading to a VPS might do you justice, however there might be other factors behind why your website is loading slow (keep in mind that bluehost is not the best when it comes to shared web hosting environments).
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    (keep in mind that bluehost is not the best when it comes to shared web hosting environments).
    Are you able to provide supporting evidence for such a statement or expand a little more? - no offence intended Fernando, however I have seen several posts such as this floating around (from other users) regarding various companies and none of them seem to have any factual basis...

Your current hosting obviously isn't adequate now that you have grown. Shared hosting just isn't going to cut it anymore, as if you are a business being offline for a couple of hours a month isn't good enough, let alone a couple of hours a day.

I think you've got to look into VPS hosting or even dedicated hosting. You will have to pay more, but if you're getting more business from it then you will still be better off than getting 1,000 visits a month and paying virtually nothing for your hosting.

I would look into a VPS Server. About $12/£14 per month

I would look into a VPS with KnownHost or any other reputable WHT VPS provider. Just do a quick search in the VPS forum and you'll see reviews of the more prominent VPS providers here.

With a site of that nature (Downtime, timeouts ect.), why not go for Cloud or VPS?

Hell, even go for a Dedicated server, you can get one for about the same price of as a decent VPS.

Good luck!
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

I have one site that is "too big" for shared hosting. So i switched it from StableHost shared hosting to MDDHosting semi-dedicated( i still host few websites on StableHost).

I am on semi-dedicated for just few days now, but it is great. Something you should check out. (and it's just ~20$/month)