What information do host companies collect

I am new to this website, my business is manufacturing jewelry, and I never ran a dynamic website with ecommerce, I was mostly dealing with people I know for years, all transactions were personal and based on trust, so forgive me my lack of knowledge about the topic and the webhosting community.

the economy is down for a while and time has come and I need to look for more customers all over the world, direct sales to customer, therefore I am building a website with ecommerce.

Because my business was based on personal relationship and trust, sort of like a swiss bank, I realize that this is going to be almost impossible to recreate on a website but I am trying to keep as much privacy as possible, obviously all in accordance with applicable laws. The goal is privacy, not breaking laws. On the other hand, there are very few laws that protect consumers from data mining, information brokers, etc. Even the few laws that exist are difficult to enforce. All kinds of companies claim to legally own the information they collect on anybody.
    Basically, I am just trying to keep other people or entities who have no right to do that from snooping around in my business. I am just saying that because I know what people are willing to do in these difficult times to feed their families and pay their bills.

So I am going to start with drafting the privacy policy for my website and I will have to disclose all the parties that might collect information and use them in any ways.

I know that the paypal, ebay and credit card transaction are basically public information, and I heard that even email messages are being quoted in the press.

To keep this on topic, I was wondering
    - what information do host companies collect
    - how long do they keep it for etc
    - if they are selling it for marketing purposes,

thanks
    I appreciate any suggestions

Hosting company basically need the contact information of yours so that they can contact you and nothing more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by aireal View Post
    To keep this on topic, I was wondering
    - what information do host companies collect
    - how long do they keep it for etc
    - if they are selling it for marketing purposes,
    Most hosts will collect the same kind of information from their customers as you do in your business. Name, address, contact phone numbers, method of payment, etc. Credit card numbers, if stored on the website, have to meet certain legal privacy requirements, be transmitted only on a secure connection, etc. Many hosts use a payment gateway that is separate from their server, and don't store the credit card information at all.

If you're asking what type of information your web host will collect on YOUR customers (and not you, their customer), the short answer is almost none.

The server's logs will contain things like an IP address and date and time of log in, pages they visit, that sort of thing. The host has no idea what individual the IP address represents. The individual's ISP will have an idea who was online from that IP address at that time (IP addresses are often dynamic, assigned to each user when he logs on, so several people in a community may share an IP address ... in other cases, the IP address changes only when the individual's router is rebooted). Most hosts will comply with a request from law enforcement for the server logs, and the law enforcement agencies will compare the ISP logs to the server logs to determine who visited your site.

"Most hosts will collect the same kind of information from their customers as you do in your business. Name, address, contact phone numbers, method of payment, etc. Credit card numbers, if stored on the website, have to meet certain legal privacy requirements, be transmitted only on a secure connection, etc. Many hosts use a payment gateway that is separate from their server, and don't store the credit card information at all."
    The above mentioned points by "fshagan" are correct. When we register for web hosting or domain registration above mentioned information is needed. And only your name, address, email are shown publicly to contact you directly if any issue related with your website is generated. And payment related information do not collected and not stored by hosting companies.