Thread: dns help

dns help

I registered a domain name at godaddy.com, and want to have it point to my home-based web server. I currently have a dyndns free account with a free domain name that points to my server, and that works fine.

What should I put in the 'name servers' boxes at godaddy?

Also, a quick rundown of how all the above works would be helpful in the long term lol.

Thank you!

Scroll down below the nameserver section in Godaddy for your domain to where it you see a box in the bottom-left corner called "Host Summary". Click on the little Add link, that's where you will create custom name servers.

Enter the following:

ns1.mydomain.com in the hostname and the first dedicated IP you have

Do it again for ns2.mydomain.com and put the second dedicated IP you have

Then edit the ns for your domain to point to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.

Wait about 48 hours and your domain will now be pointing to the IP's you have assigned for nameservers.

That's the first bit, I haven't used dyndns so I'm not sure how to setup the ns records on their end, but the above at least gets you half way though the setup.

First of all, you will need to use the DNS services provided by GoDaddy. Then get your home based server IP address registered with DynDNS and get the fixed hostname for your server.

Then on the Godaddy's DNS management portal, point your web services to your dyndns hostname.

Quote Originally Posted by instantIT View Post
    First of all, you will need to use the DNS services provided by GoDaddy. Then get your home based server IP address registered with DynDNS and get the fixed hostname for your server.

Then on the Godaddy's DNS management portal, point your web services to your dyndns hostname.
    Sorry, I'm a little confused...

Say my "hostname" at dyndns.org is "example.dyndns.com".
    When I go into the DNS management portal on godaddy, should I put my home IP address in the "@" input box? (Looks like just a constant that it uses for a bunch of different services, so you can edit them all at once... most importantly the "www" spot).

That seems like it has nothing to do with my dyndns account... and I do NOT have a static IP with my provider, so how can I link it to the dyndns account?

Thanks again!

I think he just wants to point his nameservers to his host/server so his web site is accessible. I think everyone is looking way to far into it.

Your webhost should have given you 2 nameservers. All you have to do is use GoDaddy help files and ask them how to upate your nameservers so that your dns is hosted with your webhost/server host and no longer at GoDaddy. Good luck!

thanks for those who have helped.. it was great info for me too

That's not what you want to do, shouldn't dyndns provide you with nameservers?
    Your domain should point to dyndns, because dyndns keeps your current ip on file. Then dyndns can return the current ip.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services