Hosting for a website targeting international audience?

One of the earliest decision to make before selecting a host is to decide where the bulk of the website's audience is coming from. So if I am expecting my visitors to be from Europe, I should then host my website in Europe.

But, if a visitor is from Australia, the visitor will experience some delays due to the distance of the server location from the visitor's country.

Now, what if a website has visitors all over the world, where is the best place to host? Or maybe I would like my website to be fast regardless of where the visitor is? What is the best solution to this?

Thank you.

If it is just a static website (i.e. no databases, application etc. that your users would need to access), the speed difference wouldn't matter as it would be a difference of just a couple of milliseconds.

However if it is the latter, then you should perhaps look into hosts that offer a CDN (content delivery network).

If it is just a static website (i.e. no databases, application etc. that your users would need to access), the speed difference wouldn't matter as it would be a difference of just a couple of milliseconds.
    Not exactly, the latency difference due to location can easily be of 100 miliseconds, and it can get compounded by the simple fact of having to load lots of files in order to render a page (images, css etc.)

Now, what if a website has visitors all over the world, where is the best place to host?
    Chances are that the traffic will come in big part from one area, so hosting close to that will probably make sense. Sometimes the currency exchange rate make play a big role in choosing the provider's location. After all, in most situations, the hosting location doesn't make such a dramatic difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Not exactly, the latency difference due to location can easily be of 100 miliseconds, and it can get compounded by the simple fact of having to load lots of files in order to render a page (images, css etc.)

Chances are that the traffic will come in big part from one area, so hosting close to that will probably make sense. Sometimes the currency exchange rate make play a big role in choosing the provider's location. After all, in most situations, the hosting location doesn't make such a dramatic difference.
    Even though its a static website, it won't need that much to actually load the data.

Anyways, for the OP, try finding a host thats located in the middle of the world :]
    Probably Dallas or maybe New Jersey

Now, what if a website has visitors all over the world, where is the best place to host? Or maybe I would like my website to be fast regardless of where the visitor is? What is the best solution to this?
    According to me US server would be best option if you have global visitors. It to be fast as well as offer good services as well. I always prefer to US based hosting company for hosting services.

To my mind US-based web host can be suitable for your needs in terms of speed connectivity around the whole globe.. I am with pinellashosting and everything works pretty good and fast. you can also check them.
    drasderiout.com

In term of speed, you have to remember that you can't cater all visitors with the best speed. However, you can optimize with Content Delivery Network(CDN) solution.

Probably wouldn't worry so much about geographical location as long as the server/datacenter is high quality. Focus more on localization of the web site content based on the visitor (show the pricing in their local currency, etc.).
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

I am disagree I have never seen geographical location does matter

If most of your clients are going to be from Europe then somewhere within the EU would be a wise choice to go with - If you have other clients from around the world sure the PING times might shoot up from the distance of the datacenter, however, it does not make a huge load times as long as the systems are running complete and healthy.

You can take it into account of course, but CDN might be the easiest way to share your content around the globe and each one being accessed on demand.

Might consider CloudFlare
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

US is the place which is believed to be a center of the Internet. So if you have web hosting from the company which has the services in good DC with good network providers you will never have any problem around the world.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

If most of the traffic is coming from Europe/US then the US East coast would be better I think (Chicago, Atlanta, NY, Florida comes to mind). If mostly from US/Asia then the US West coast (LA, Seattle, or even Dallas)
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

My website is hosted in the US but accessing it here in Asia is way too slow. It is heavily reliant on a DB. I had a read on CDN and I think it might help.

Now I know the benefits of CDN but how do I apply it to my website? Do I subscribe to a CDN service on top of my current hosting? Do I have to change the URL? Which of the CDN service companies provide a trial? Which of them are the popular and affordable ones?

Thanks in advance!

To target international audience

For speed connectivity US based web hosting is the best one and it is one way to target international audience

I'm wondering why everyone seems to think the US would be best for a global audience. If your visitors are spread evenly throughout the world then the global position really doesn't matter as such, as there will be advantages and disadvantages wherever your site is hosted.

Somewhere in Central Europe is probably best, because you are situated roughly an equal distance to the most populated parts of America and Asia while being close to Europe (well, in it) and Africa.

I don't think reaching a worldwide audiance has solely to do with hosting location.

Even within the google webmaster central you can allocate the location of your website to make sure you hit the correct audiance.

If you want to make sure you reach many countries, you should create content for the local region on the local language.

I'm currently doing this with pokerharder.com (now 12 languages, soon to be 50).

Quote Originally Posted by jastoh View Post
    One of the earliest decision to make before selecting a host is to decide where the bulk of the website's audience is coming from. So if I am expecting my visitors to be from Europe, I should then host my website in Europe.

But, if a visitor is from Australia, the visitor will experience some delays due to the distance of the server location from the visitor's country.

Thank you.
    Have you looked at getting setup with a CDN? It will offload probably 80% of your website to the CDN and thus increase load times tremendously. There's quite a few providers and at all price ranges. VPS.net offers Level 3 CDN for cheap, and is origin pull. Rackspace files(resellers of Akamai) is nice too, you PAYG(pay as you go) at $0.18/GB. Many people overestimate their traffic. 1GB goes a long way.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

What is the difference between web hosting and file sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Have you looked at getting setup with a CDN? It will offload probably 80% of your website to the CDN and thus increase load times tremendously. There's quite a few providers and at all price ranges. VPS.net offers Level 3 CDN for cheap, and is origin pull. Rackspace files(resellers of Akamai) is nice too, you PAYG(pay as you go) at $0.18/GB. Many people overestimate their traffic. 1GB goes a long way.
    Hi Jacob,

Do you know any CDN where I can have a free trial before paying? Also, how do I apply for a CDN? I know its benefits but do I subscribe a CDN on top of my hosting? What about the configuration/setup?

Thank you.