Windows Azure opinions, any?

Has anybody tried Windows Azure?
    How could you rate it against Amazon WS?

Well .. Can you mention the requirements for which you are trying to use window Azure , I hope some one should reply you accordingly.
    || Eminds Infotech || 9th Year of Server Management Solutions ||
    || Server Management || 24x7 Technical Support || Cloud Management ||
    || 24x7 Live Chat Support || VPS Management || Server Migrations ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com||

I have a prospect that is a chain of radios, whose websites based on Drupal have an average of 900K unique visitors and 6.5 MM pageviews.

I am thinking of making them a quote based on Azure or other cloud hosting alternative.

ok , well a cloud solution which scales for the resources automatically will be the good options. Also I see that the websites are Drupal based so Linux on Cloud with clustering technology would be the best thing to have.
    || Eminds Infotech || 9th Year of Server Management Solutions ||
    || Server Management || 24x7 Technical Support || Cloud Management ||
    || 24x7 Live Chat Support || VPS Management || Server Migrations ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com||

Windows Azure looks promising to me. We get to try it from our Microsoft BizSpark partnership program.

Our R&D team still testing it out and still in a very shallow breakthrough.

I am curious about windows azure myself.

and InstantIT.... I look forward to a very good review from you about that. I'd like to see it and if possible some screenshots on your performance and the control panels would be nice.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

I've developed against the Azure SDK, it's very extensive if your a .net developer, you can provision your "hosting" resources from a few lines of code and the Azure framework handles everything else for you in the backend. You can also remotely managed the IIS7 webserver running each website via your own IIS MMC console on your local PC.

Bare in mind Azure is part of Microsoft's future plan to replace the need for local Infrastructure, starting with hosting websites over Azure and with Microsoft Office 365 (hosted Office, Sharepoint, Exchange, Dynamics) and very soon they will be providing IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) via Microsoft Aurora - which is their cloud based virtual server platform where you can easily provision off what servers you may need.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Looks pretty cool. Might give it a try sometime when I have the time to dedicate to it. I'm more of the Linux server person though, but it might be interesting to try MS stuff for a change.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Are their other hosting options other than hosting through Microsoft for Azure?

Also, can you install Windows Azure and SQL Azure on your own servers?

Quote Originally Posted by rattrick View Post
    can you install Windows Azure and SQL Azure on your own servers?
    No, the point of Azure is that the hosting infrastructure is managed by Microsoft, all you do is provision off your hosting space and publish your site to it. Hosts will stuggle to compete with 100% uptime guarentees from big players like Microsoft who can cheaply give away hosting after heavily investing in their infrastructure.

Ultimately Microsoft's end game is to get their partners selling and supporting Azure/Aurora customers directly so that Microsoft just sit back and maintain it. Hosts would just integrate Azure/Aurora into their platforms, and customers will connect to Microsoft's infrastructure, possibly even doing away with some hosts/businesses need for datacentres and colo.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.