Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Billing Issues

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    819

    * Billing Issues

    Hello guys,

    I have several hosting accounts with different providers but I would like some advise for something happened to me with one of them.

    While trying to pay my monthly fee I got charged multiple times. While me and my provider were investigating whose fault was, my bank found out that the transcactions were made from my provider and without asking me, they credit the amount back to my account.

    However, this had as a result that chargeback fees were imposed to my provider who in return they demanded the fees to be paid by me or they would suspend my account.

    Is this right? What would you do?

    many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    884
    Unless you have it stipulated in a contract with them you are not legally responsible for chargeback fees imposed on them for their behavior. If you accidentally charge a customers credit card they are within their rights to call their bank and dispute the charges.

    If I were you I would start backups on your account while you work it out. I imagine you didn't realize they would get dinged with fees. I would explain that. If it is not in your contract, you are not liable for fees incurred through their billing mistakes.

    If something is in your contract that requires you to work with them first and they were receptive I would pay what I owe and find a new host.
    Last edited by JaJae; 02-07-2011 at 12:05 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,766
    I think it depends on why the charges were made. If you were online trying to make the payment, and clicked "back" or "refresh", and the charges went through multiple times, then you are the responsible party and should pay the charge-back fees. If they made the charges without your intervention, then it is their fault.

    That would be my ethical stand on the issue, but I have no idea what the legal requirements are in this case; it probably depends on the TOS you agreed to when signing up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    91
    If it was their fault, I would fight the charge back fee's. However, the most common cause of this is hitting send multiple times. Is it possible that the page wasn't loading so you hit send again?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    115
    I bet you subscribed with paypal and forgot to cancel it, like 10% of the hosting society do.

    Then you now think they stole your cash, they did not, you left a subscription and in my view you are in the wrong for not taking the steps to correct it if you left their service.

    But if it is through your bank, then unsure but it must have been a direct debit you and them setup, and again would have forgot to cancel, by default WHMCS credits the account with the paid amount if no invoice is applicable for the income.

    But if you got charged multiple times for one month, you should have asked them to refund it before charging back.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    443
    Hi,
    It sounds like your bank should refund you the charge back fees, and you refund your host for them.

    As a host, I have had this happen in reverse, and the bank was in the wrong, for charging the fees without me saying to charge back, and they gladly put the funds into my account so I was refunded for the charge back fees.

    Talk to your bank, and explain what happened. Perhaps they too will assist you, as mine did me. $25 to $35 a pop for charge back fees is a bit silly to begin with, but they charge it anyways.

    Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    I think it depends on why the charges were made. If you were online trying to make the payment, and clicked "back" or "refresh", and the charges went through multiple times, then you are the responsible party and should pay the charge-back fees. If they made the charges without your intervention, then it is their fault.

    That would be my ethical stand on the issue, but I have no idea what the legal requirements are in this case; it probably depends on the TOS you agreed to when signing up.
    I pay every month by CC. I paid as always, but my card did not accepted. Got an email to try again, which I did, and it was succefully accepted. That how it happened.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsrv View Post
    I bet you subscribed with paypal and forgot to cancel it, like 10% of the hosting society do.

    Then you now think they stole your cash, they did not, you left a subscription and in my view you are in the wrong for not taking the steps to correct it if you left their service.

    But if it is through your bank, then unsure but it must have been a direct debit you and them setup, and again would have forgot to cancel, by default WHMCS credits the account with the paid amount if no invoice is applicable for the income.

    But if you got charged multiple times for one month, you should have asked them to refund it before charging back.
    Not at at all. I manually pay with CC avery month. First attempt failed and was suggested to retry, which I did, and 2nd time the payment was succesfull.

    Also, my bank has confirmed the trancactions were made by my providers processor.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by superiorhost View Post
    Hi,
    It sounds like your bank should refund you the charge back fees, and you refund your host for them.

    As a host, I have had this happen in reverse, and the bank was in the wrong, for charging the fees without me saying to charge back, and they gladly put the funds into my account so I was refunded for the charge back fees.

    Talk to your bank, and explain what happened. Perhaps they too will assist you, as mine did me. $25 to $35 a pop for charge back fees is a bit silly to begin with, but they charge it anyways.

    Tim L
    At the moment, the bank says is my provider who has to pay, and the provider says is the bank who has to pay.

    i just don't like the way they pursued after being a long time customer

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    819
    I definetely did not want them to get any fees. My bank went ahead while I clearly stated to my bank to leave it to me to sort it out. I can only inagine that my bank took the initiative as the case was going on for a month.

    What I don't understand id why I have to pay for something is not my fault!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,799
    Simply back up your files and move on. There are so many other hosts out there. Fight the big fights, as they say.

    Anyways, it doesn't sound like it's your fault, but some glitch with your provider's billing system.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    91
    I would really fight them on this. It's a small fee to pay for a mistake, on who ever's end but if your a long term client, It's a very small fee for the host to pay.

    Being a host myself, I'd gladly eat the fee to keep a long term client happy, as I'm sure any good host would. The exception to this rule would be if it kept happening.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    819
    Thank you guys,

    My bank says to seek legal advice and get the trading standards involved but I do not really to loose so much time for this.

    The funny thing is that is a very good company indeed and very reputable around.

    I try to sort it out between me and them, is not my style to go after all this hassle. If not I just find another provider to put my money on and then let the others know so they are carefull.

  14. #14
    very useful one

Similar Threads

  1. 10tb.com order and billing issues
    By datetopia.com in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 09:52 AM
  2. Have anyone had billing issues with H9?
    By duckyhatezchat in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 05:35 AM
  3. [Billing Issues] => TroubleFreeHosting
    By samolaw in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
  4. NationVoice Billing Issues, anyone have advice please?
    By Moridrake in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
  5. Billing issues gone bad
    By qubefactor in forum Running a Web Hosting Business
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 04:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •