Need ASP.net hosting, but am little confused

Hi,

I was assigned the task of looking for a great web host for a company, so after doing some research I decided to just ask the community for recommendations.

Here are the requirements:

- .NET hosting environment. Need to run aspx and vb files
    - Total size of the Virtual Machine is 60GB so 60 for dev and another 60 for production. 120 GB in total... minimum.
    - Bandwidth not too sure.
    - IIS: 7.0
    - Windows Server 2008 - Standard Edition SP2 (64bit)
    - SQL Server 2008 - 10.0.2531 SP1 (64bit)
    - .Net Framework 3.5 SP1

Technology related dependencies:

- SQLXML 3.0 SP3
    - Microsoft Data Access Components
    - Enterprise Manager
    - Persits ASPEmail 5.0.0.3 (probably buy the single server license if the only install it onto 2 servers, if there is a need for it to be installed on more we would get the 5 user license)
    - Name of SMTP server for contact form
    - MSCaptcha ASP.NET 2.0 Server Control

What else is good:

- no limit on sub domains, ftp accounts, or email accounts

I was given this and told to find something. I'm not too sure if I'm missing something or not, so please advise. I think dedicated is the option I need to go for.

I was told singlehop.com was good. Anyone would suggest them?

Thanks so much!

What edition of SQL server?

You have either (all cost different per month);
    • Express
    • Workgroup
    • Web
    • Standard
    • Enterprise
    • Datacenter
    Managed or Unmanaged?

How much a month can the company afford?

How many projected hits etc?
    Last edited by benj114; 02-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Ok, I wasn't told that, but I'll find out. Anything else I should ask?

Any reason why you want to use Windows Server 2008 Standard w/SP2 64-bit and IIS 7.0 when Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit w/ IIS 7.5 is out?

Try to find something in enterprise-grade class with Xeon CPU, ECC ram, BMC or DRAC, dual power supplies. Reliable server could save you a lot of time and money.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

Your requirements should be pretty doable - Do you have a set budget for this? Do you have any location preference?

Since your requirements are quite Windows centric, I'll recommend you to consider a host who has good amount of Windows Hosting experience rather than someone who will just provide you with a dedicated box connected to network.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Here is what I was told:

- co-location hosting should be sufficient
    - Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition
    - prefer sticking with "Windows Server 2008 Standard w/SP2 64-bit and IIS 7.0" as our systems work on it just fine.
    - budget is dependent on what is offered. Prefer different kinds of options at different to base the decision on.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Mark View Post
    Here is what I was told:

- co-location hosting should be sufficient
    - Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition
    - prefer sticking with "Windows Server 2008 Standard w/SP2 64-bit and IIS 7.0" as our systems work on it just fine.
    - budget is dependent on what is offered. Prefer different kinds of options at different to base the decision on.

Well if you want colo then the hardware and software would be supplied by the company your working with. All you need to do now is find a place to put the server. Check out the Colocation offer's section for some deals. Depending on the area you want the server will depend on the cost. It can cost anywhere from $40 to $500+ a month with a sever cost in the multi-thousands just due to software licences alone.

Now if you don't want to provide the hardware and software, then you need to look at dedicated server providers. You could most likley find something for this in the range of $950 - $1200 a month.

I was just told: "we can go with any hosting provider. We’re currently using a hyper v virtual machine. We would need max 4GB of ram and it would be good if the SQL instance is separate – right now it’s not so it’s taking up more memory, so if we have that separate then we’d need less than 4GB of ram."

For this, you can consider getting a second VPS instance which will be used only for database purposes. Other options are to either increase memory or use a hosted database on one of shared database server of your host.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Softsys, I saw the Windows HyperV Platinum VPS plan on your site. Do you think what I need fits in that plan?

Softsys, I saw the Windows HyperV Platinum VPS plan on your site. Do you think what I need fits in that plan?
    Yeah, 8GB RAM should be fine for your requirement since you are currently maxing out at 4GB RAM. If you have any queries/concerns regarding our plans, you can get in touch with our sales team and we'll get back to you promptly.

Hi,

I was given this and told to find something. I'm not too sure if I'm missing something or not, so please advise. I think dedicated is the option I need to go for.

I was told singlehop.com was good. Anyone would suggest them?

Thanks so much!
    singlehop is good
    HostASP.NET offers Affordable, Reliable ASP.NET Web hosting India / USA | Linux plans, Hyper-V Virtual dedicated servers (VPS)